Noobie with a quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

da2ricky

I just ordered a Uniden BCD996P2 and I'm using FreeSCAN + RadioReference Premium to get it programmed.

I imported the system I want to monitor for my county using the RadioReference Import but it doesn't look like it imported the control channels under the site's trunk fq. list, is this normal or do I need to add them manually? I don't have the scanner in hand yet to test, just trying to make sure I have my ducks in a row so I can get up and running as soon as it arrives.

I also imported the NC VIPER system and noticed my county has SO, FIRE, EMS, etc... under this system but it's also under the the system above that I imported. The TGID's are different so I'm not sure if I should leave them or not.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered a Uniden BCD996P2 and I'm using FreeSCAN + RadioReference Premium to get it programmed.

I imported the system I want to monitor for my county using the RadioReference Import but it doesn't look like it imported the control channels under the site's trunk fq. list, is this normal or do I need to add them manually?

There should be a selection to import just Control/Alternate channels, select that to import.

I also imported the NC VIPER system and noticed my county has SO, FIRE, EMS, etc... under this system but it's also under the the system above that I imported. The TGID's are different so I'm not sure if I should leave them or not.

Not knowing your county they may also be on Viper so I would definitely leave them. Don't forget to add VIPER EVENT channels, lots of good traffic (local, state, federal) on those talkgroups.

da2ricky

There should be a selection to import just Control/Alternate channels, select that to import.

Not knowing your county they may also be on Viper so I would definitely leave them. Don't forget to add VIPER EVENT channels, lots of good traffic (local, state, federal) on those talkgroups.

I'm in Onslow Co. I'll go back through and import those event channels. I see some for Statewide Event, then Statewide/Syswid (not sure what this is), then StatewideInterop. Anything interesting on those last two?

Yes, you'll need control channels.

I'd wait until you get the scanner to see what it tells you.

Thanks! I was digging around and it looks like Arc XT will import these for you... I might spend the money and buy that software just for ease of use.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
All the Statewide channels are useful in emergencies, but the Statewide Event Channels Alpha through Hotel (et al) are used on an almost daily basis for everything from events to surveillance to SAR by locals, state, and federal agencies

da2ricky

New scanner arrived (Uniden Bearcar BCD996P3) and I was able to get it programmed but I'm not hearing a peep on the VIPER system.

Onslow County/Jacksonville City Public Services programmed without issue and I can hear everything loud and clear

North Carolina VIPER - I hear nothing. I'm located in Onslow Co. and using the Holly Ridge site which is about 9 miles from me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

da2ricky

Quick update. I went through the FCC licenses and found all of the NCSHP frequencies tied to HOLLY RIDGE and added them in under the trunked freq section in addition to what the RadioReference import had already added for my VIPER site and now I'm getting some activity!

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

da2ricky

@N1GAW I skimmed through there and didn't see much about my region. I'm getting a ton of chatter now but it's all from TG's that aren't in the database, which is no surprise considering there are maybe 4-5 TG's for my entire county in the current database. I'm trying to figure out who and what they are.

This is all new to me, I'm grabbing TGID's and UID/radio ID's. Beyond that I don't know how to find Alpha tags if it's even possible. For instance, I'm hearing chatter from a few TG's but it's all for the same department.

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@N1GAW I skimmed through there and didn't see much about my region. I'm getting a ton of chatter now but it's all from TG's that aren't in the database, which is no surprise considering there are maybe 4-5 TG's for my entire county in the current database. I'm trying to figure out who and what they are.

This is all new to me, I'm grabbing TGID's and UID/radio ID's. Beyond that I don't know how to find Alpha tags if it's even possible. For instance, I'm hearing chatter from a few TG's but it's all for the same department.

Check this list in the Wiki for users/UID to give you an idea who you are hearing. Onslow county units should all start with 133xxxx. TGID start with 340xx. Alpha tags need to be identified by you, once confirmed submit the information to the database. As you confirm UIDs please add them to the Wiki or PM me and I'll do it. Typically you don't want every UID in the Wiki, just enough to get an idea what agency they are for.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/VIPER_P25_Radio_ID's

Happy Listening!

Status
Not open for further replies.