Norfolk Southern Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traperguy84

Does anyone know of a list of freq. They run off of? I've searched and got a few but all I get is some yard chatter every now and again and some computer generated voice that says an axle count??

I know they gotta be saying stuff back and forth lol. I have the radio shack digital scanner and it pics up fire/ems great. I also programed some aircraft channels and they come in pretty clear when I have them turned on. The railroad I just haven't found many channels for.

I'm in the Harrisburg PA area

And I now gotta program Amtrak channels thanks to the info I found in another thread here :)

Thanks
Tyler

traperguy84

Thanks for that link, that's where I got the freq's I have programmed, but they never pick much of anything up. I didn't know I they were old freq's or something. I'll try reprograming and see what happens, maybe I messed something up the first time

KC2zZe

That's not likely. I'm not sure what you are expecting to hear, but if you are hearing automated messages, you've likely got the correct road channel for the tracks nearest you. 160.800 is the NS road channel for the line by me and that's all I hear "Mile Post Five Zero Point Three - No Defects - Detector Out." There have been instances, few and far between, where train crews have called in debris on the tracks complaints or reports of kids playing on the right-of-way, but aside from that...if there is nothing wrong...there's no need to talk on the radio.

homeinva

where or you located i am in Suffolk and pick up about 3 channels but only using the back of radio ant

i have one track that only 300 yd from house but little train traffic
the main tracks through Suffolk about 1 from house and there a junction of about 5 tracks in the area so i get more audio traffic

i can hear Crew dispatch and some others here but don't run it that much used the list from RR and downloaded them with win 500

w2xq

Mentor
Does anyone know of a list of freq. They run off of? /QUOTE]

I would recommend programming in the conventional AAR (Assn of American Railroads) channels 07 to 97 labeling them "AAR nn." . On our cross-country trips via Amtrak, everything I ever wanted to know was on those frequencies. I don't trust the specific frequency lists for specific railroads. Aboard the car it seemed to be that the range was rather limited; we lost the yard and station conversations a few miles from the station. If you would like a WIn500 file, PM me with your address and I'll send it via return mail.

Tom

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for that link, that's where I got the freq's I have programmed, but they never pick much of anything up. I didn't know I they were old freq's or something. I'll try reprograming and see what happens, maybe I messed something up the first time

Those frequencies are correct, but if you could expand on which line you're closest to it would help. Make sure you have them programmed in as FM Narrow. It doesn't make that much of a difference, but the entire Harrisburg Division switched over June 1st.

NS Police, you likely won't hear much other than their communications with train crews, yard crews, etc. NS Police are dispatched from the communications center in Atlanta, and it's pretty much all cellular/Nextel now in this Division for dispatch and unit to unit.

Last edited:

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Harrisburg you should be hearing RR comms . It is a busy rail yard. As mentioned above enter ALL AAR frequencies. You should be picking up regular traffic . I live in Chambersburg and hear train comms so much I removed them from my scanner because I was missing other comms.

Status
Not open for further replies.