Norman new 6 site phase II system

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
I have been following the other P25 okc system too much to pay attention to this one. Can someone who has been following this submit its data to the database? Interested to see how different the audio from the new norman system to the new okc system vs the OKWIN system I use everyday at work.

The info cannot be submitted to RR database until we have at least a reasonable idea of which talkgroups have been assigned. I already tried, but my info was too incomplete for RR at this time. Look back at previous posts in this thread, and you will get enough info to be able to listen. Right now, the only established talkgroups are: SANITATION; 3501 and UTILITIES (WATER); 3503. Traffic can be heard on a couple other TGs, but just Technicians testing the system. The audio sounds pretty good.

WXVOST

Premium Subscriber
Dispatcher mentioned over the air that the new system should be going live/duplicating ops of the current system in late March (in relation to the current system cutting their transmissions off).

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
Oh goodness, there is an addition to the database. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=10460 Sanitation looks like it is up and running. I heard a lot from sanitation this morning. Now we wait for the others to join.

Welllll... interesting. I sent this info to RR, and was sent a message to the effect, "the information supplied is incomplete....." Basically, I was given the impression that they did not want the info until more TG entries were added. Whatever..........

Marxhere

Feed Provider
Feed Provider
An NPD officer said they were supposed to go for training on the new system last month. I agree. for what is known about this system it is a bit premature. I still monitor every day. Just because. lol

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Systems can be put in the database even without TG information as long as it is on the air. Data should include only confirmed frequencies. Even better to include System ID, Site ID etc.

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
I think TG 3501 is "operational". I am seeing more than one RID which says to me it isn't a patch. All in the 5056xx range, BTW. Sure sounds like the Sanitation Division. I guess I should check their TG on OKWIN ...

I'm also at home today which puts me further from a transmitter ... in fact, I may be close to equidistant between two. And yes, not everything is decoding. I see a Yagi with tiny elements in my future. :)

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Sure sounds like the Sanitation Division. I guess I should check their TG on OKWIN ...

Yep. Some or maybe all traffic appears on the Sanitation Division's OKWIN TG. If I had to guess, I'd say they have a bridge from the new system back to the old since I am only seeing one RID on the OKWIN side and more than one on the NewNorman side.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Norman was testing out the new 'dispatch alert' tones on a fireground channel a few minutes ago. Guess they're getting closer to switching the new system on.

When Northwest Central Dispatch (northern Cook Co, Ill) went to an Astro system ~20 years ago they were surprised to find that analog quick-call style tones didn't actually work as intended over a digital channel. It will be interesting to see if a three-generations-newer digital system can support them. Why Norman insists on using 1960s technology over a 21st century radio system (to stations that are all connected by fiber) is probably a discussion left for another venue. :):rolleyes::cautious:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Going to go with CART (the soon to be destroyed public transit provider in Norman) on TG 3602 ... Radio testing today ... I'm hearing (not o the radio!) of a rumored April cutover. No idea if that's the 1st or the 30th, but I'm sure it will be super smooth and that everything will be just perfect. :cautious:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
3101 and 3501 showing up in the Discovery logs on my 436 as ENCRYPTED. But also as DIGITAL. So enc-capable but maybe not always enc. No identifiable blips on the non-enc recordings.

Lots of other TGs showing up with a lot of "radio service testing" but no new identifications yet.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
Going to go with CART (the soon to be destroyed public transit provider in Norman) on TG 3602 ... Radio testing today ... I'm hearing (not o the radio!) of a rumored April cutover. No idea if that's the 1st or the 30th, but I'm sure it will be super smooth and that everything will be just perfect. :cautious:

That was probably me you heard doing the testing. We just finished CART... waiting to see what's next...... System "LIVE" April 1st also "April Fools Day," so don't hold your breath... lol. The work is overwhelming.
Why do you say, "Soon to be destroyed public transit provider??" They are going STRONG!

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
When Northwest Central Dispatch (northern Cook Co, Ill) went to an Astro system ~20 years ago they were surprised to find that analog quick-call style tones didn't actually work as intended over a digital channel. It will be interesting to see if a three-generations-newer digital system can support them. Why Norman insists on using 1960s technology over a 21st century radio system (to stations that are all connected by fiber) is probably a discussion left for another venue. :):rolleyes::cautious:

Tones are working just fine

plaws

Premium Subscriber
That was probably me you heard doing the testing.

I thought as much but wasn't going to out you here ... but you've taken care of that. :ROFLMAO:

Why do you say, "Soon to be destroyed public transit provider??" They are going STRONG!

New OU boss wants to get rid of the buses, city has no money to take them over.

April 1, eh? Interesting. You've got a week .... go! :sneaky:

n5bew1

I have my new SDS200 talking to me now. But I still haven't been able to hear the Norman P25 yet. I need to dig back into this beast of a scanner.

jwyke

Premium Subscriber
I have my new SDS200 talking to me now. But I still haven't been able to hear the Norman P25 yet. I need to dig back into this beast of a scanner.

Nice scanner, Ken! That should serve you well! I have been following that unit in the Forums, and it sounds like Uniden is providing firmware upgrades to cure some of the issues many people have reported. As far as the P25 system goes, me and the other Technicians are working diligently to get the system fully active... hopefully by April 1st. Follow the progress here, and on RadioReference. The system info is available there. You should create a 'Favorites List' and make sure to turn ID Search 'ON.' New Talkgroups are becoming active all the time. You can jot them down as you hear them. Hope you enjoy it!! You and I have come a long way since the 10 meter FM days, eh?? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.