Northbound I-65 Closed Following Crash Involving Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbluemsp

Northbound I-65 Closed Following Crash Involving Trooper

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/9790087/detail.html#

CLINTON COUNTY, Ind. -- An Indiana State Police trooper was injured in a crash on Interstate 65 in Clinton County on Tuesday afternoon.

Northbound lanes of Interstate 65 remained shut down as of 2:15 p.m. Indiana State Police Sgt. Rich Kelly's car was mangled in the crash, but he survived.

According to ISP First Sgt. Brian Olehy, Kelly had pulled over the driver of a tractor-trailer and was in his car doing some paperwork when a second tractor-trailer slammed into the car.

Kelly got out of the car on his own following the crash, according to officials. He was transported to a hospital in Lafayette. The extent of his injuries was not immediately known.

The accident occurred in the northbound lanes at mile marker 159. Indiana State Police and the Clinton County Sheriff's Department were still at the scene hours after the crash.

Traffic was stopped for several miles behind the crash and was also being diverted off the interstate at exit 158.

9790458_400X300.jpg

Go-24

Heard this on the scanner as well, WOW that car is a mess. He must have jumped out ahead of time or something dont see how he could have survived the crash in his seat.

bessiedawg

TV-18 in Lafayette had film of this on the news. In one view of the car, it appeared that there was a seat left intact with the wrekage somewhat wrapped around the seat. It was a quick shot, but that's what it looked like to me. They reported that he crawled out of the wreakage and called for help on his radio. Believe it or not, he has now been upgraded to "good" condition.

GTO_04

I wonder if an overhead light bar might have helped prevent this from happening. Most all of the troopers that have been hit have been driving slick tops. The slick tops are just not as visible! Still no excuse for plowing into the back of any vehicle in good weather and the vehicle is not in the roadway. You wonder if the other truck driver fell asleep?

GTO_04

retroactiv

Didn't get over, that is why they created that law. Atleast slow down....

On a side note, I do know Rich and his family, from what I have been told is his back is screwed up and he has some bad cuts, but he will be alright.

Go-24

retroactiv said:
Didn't get over, that is why they created that law. Atleast slow down....

Sometimes you dont have an opportunity to get over; but I agree if you cant get over you should try and slow down then again thats not always possible either depending on the location and traffic density.

Fact of the matter is that there are too many idiots out there on the road! The other day just south of this location a porche came up on the right lane going about 120 trying to pass a row of traffic passing a slow semi. He of course ran out of room and chose to slam in front of me where he had to slam on his breaks. I was then forced to slam on my breaks or drive over the top of him. Me my wife and 3 small children thank god for anti-lock breaks. I so wanted to put him into a field. Road rage is easy to come by with so many idiots on the road.

Hope this officer is back to 100% real soon!

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
SLWilson said:
Moron probably hit him on purpose !!!!! Steve

Are you serious? You are 1) accusing the truck driver of being a moron and 2) accusing him of hitting the police car intentionally?

This has to be classified as one of THE stupidest posts on RR, and there have been quite a few over the years. How in the world would you know this? Why would a truck driver do this? How dumb will you feel if it comes out that the driver had a heart attack?

Wow.

SLWilson

Skull

rdale said:
Are you serious? You are 1) accusing the truck driver of being a moron and 2) accusing him of hitting the police car intentionally?

This has to be classified as one of THE stupidest posts on RR, and there have been quite a few over the years. How in the world would you know this? Why would a truck driver do this? How dumb will you feel if it comes out that the driver had a heart attack? Wow.

Just thought that by looking at his skull there right on the dash. Most "normal" folks don't have that kinda stuff with them while they're on a road trip.....I think anyone that runs around with one of those IS a moron. My opinion, not yours. I'm entitled to my opinion.....

Yeah, your right, was probably just a heart attack. But, it could've been adjusting his radio, could've been talking on a cell phone, could've fallen asleep, could've done it on purpose....Although I could use your own words against you, I won't. You don't know any more about the wreck than I do, and you called MY comment stupid!!!! :confused:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
You're entitled to have an opinion about he wreck, or the person inside.

I did not accuse him of attempted murder - you did. With no facts. I was pulling up alternatives. Am I saying he's a great guy, that this was a complete accident? Of course not. I have no idea.

But can you say he intentionally wrecked his truck (and his driving career) because he wanted to kill that trooper? There's no sense in that. Why would he do that?

No idea how a person could come up with such a story - especially when the only "evidence" you have is an ornament on his dash.

What you did is pure libel. What I did was give you other possibilities.

SLWilson

Thanks !

rdale said:
You're entitled to have an opinion about he wreck, or the person inside.

Actually, I didn't ACCUSE the driver of doing anything. It's obvious he wrecked. What I said was he "probably" did it on purpose. Thanks for your input. I hope everyone heals from the crash....You should lighten up a little, you'll get high blood pressure if you take stuff you read here too seriously. That can lead to other serious health issues....Steve

Last edited:

NightFox

By saying 'probably' you imply that it was intentional and classifying it as homicide. Therefore accusing him of intentional homicide...

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
I'd say YES - but SLWilson "probably" wanted this to happen ;>

bigbluemsp

rdale said:
I'd say YES - but SLWilson "probably" wanted this to happen ;>

I must agree with you Rob.

I will put at all odds that the trucker was driving in excess of the speed limit or he was driving in excess of his daily hours allowed by federal law. There is a chance he was cut off by a car but I doubt that to be the case. I would like read the outcome of the investigation. The troop is damn lucky to be alive but this shouldn't have happened at all.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
There was a followup on WISH TV Thursday, I don't recall the specifics but he either didn't have or falsified his logbook, and had been driving well in excess of allowable hours. It's probably on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.