NorthFlight EMS helicopter

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbryant2

Has anyone discovered frequency information for NorthFlight - NorthStar EMS's new helicopter that is now in service and serving the Tuscaloosa/West Alabama area. I have heard them inbound and departing Birmingham talking to ATCC and UAB on the HEAR frequency (155.3400). Air Methods is providing the aircraft and flight services, so it's possible that they are using Air Method's AirCom for dispatch and flight following. I attempted searching the FCC database, but I cannot find any Air Method's sites licensed in West Alabama.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I heard the helicopter briefly on 155.160 (127.3 PL) about two weeks ago, but all I caught was them acknowledging a transmission from an unknown station. I believe their callsign was NorthFlight-1.

NorthStar is licensed for mobile operation and a fixed-base at DCH Medical Center on this frequency. That license also has a pending modification, but the FCC ULS won't load for me tonight so I can't see what it is.

medic9351301

Banned
yes 155.160 was and still maybe the primary vhf freq for tuscaloosa ops. i have not been able to get a signal to tusc county for a long time. try 155.355 it might be worth a shot since its voip back to air methods dispatch center.

rbryant2

Haven't had a chance to program and listen over the weekend, but looking at the pending modification to NorthStar's license, it appears that they are adding a VHF frequency (154.1525) as well as a pair of UHF frequencies, as well as an additional transmitter location. Perhaps they are adding a remote repeater with a UHF control link back to their office. I will program these freqs as soon as I have time and start monitoring. I have not heard any new traffic on 155.355 - only the usual Careflight and Lifesaver traffic with AirCom.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that 154.1525 is now in use, simplex with a 127.3 PL. I heard NorthFlight departing from a scene in Winston County the other day, and they were giving their flight plan to a station on this frequency. Unfortunately I didn't catch the name of their communications center.

medic9351301

Banned
prob air methods they own the bird, did you hear the dispatch center. i am curious to see if it is like the old lifesaver set up

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
prob air methods they own the bird, did you hear the dispatch center. i am curious to see if it is like the old lifesaver set up

No, I wasn't able to hear dispatch. I'm not usually able to hear anything from that area except a couple of the SO repeaters and the TPD "Traffic" repeater.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
Thought I'd post a quick update: I've heard NorthFlight several more times on 154.1525 and the HEAR, and also caught the name of their dispatch center, which is "FlightCom". I'm completely unable to hear their fixed-base at DCH however.

I also noticed that the ERP of NorthFlight's VHF/UHF radio isn't nearly as high as most of AirEvac's radios. Judging by a picture I found on their Facebook page, it looks like NorthFlight uses a Technisonic TDFM-600 or 6000 tactical radio. It only has a max output power of 5 watts vs. the 10 watts of most other Technisonic radios. You wouldn't think it would make much difference but it is quite noticeable.

AE106

I believe with their setup, they are 'leasing' the aircraft. This setup is fairly common with AirMethods, they get a Aircraft, Pilot, and Mechanic; Northstar or Northflight provides the medical crew. Generally speaking, with this setup, the dispatching is done by the company that provides the medical crew. The standalone services, such as Lifesaver, generally use AirMethods dispatch but can have their own. From what I understand Northstar EMS is also providing dispatch services for the helicopter as well, which is what has already been noted by others. They added the new frequency to get off of the ground EMS channel that they have.

SCPD

QRT
I will ask

I will ask tuesday. One of the Nurses on Northflight his daughter plays travelball with mine. They are flying to our school to let the Summer School Kids check the helicopter out around Tuesday 10 am unless they are busy. Then a raincheck, anyway I will ask him their frequencies, if he will give them to me.

W4GLE

NorthFlight has went belly up. They were not making enough money so Air Methods pulled the bird. They were using 154.15250 Simplex as well as SouthernLink to communicate with their base in Tuscaloosa. NorthFlight, NorthStar Ambulance, RPS Ambulance, Regional Air Medical Services (RAMS 64) and other ambulances across Alabama use SouthernLink PTT to communicate with the hospitals, 911 Centers and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.