Not recieveing new APCO 25 on bcd996t

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
A fellow scanner club member programmed new frequency info from his BCD996XT into my BCD996t,
But my 996t isn't recieving the new system. the 996T isn't even seeing signal bars on that bank, even though the XT sitting right next to mine is recieveing the new system just fine. The 996T is still picking up other AP 25 sites like the Ohio Highway Patrol just like always. But not a peep from this new system. My firmware is updated. V. 3.02.00
I have erased and re-uploaded info several times I have even tried a different BCD996T.. same negative results. Does the BCD996XT offer something that my 996T doesn't? Do I need a new scanner?

Here is info on system I am trying to recieve.
Austintown/Boardman Joint Radio System (ABJRS)
The Austintown/Boardman Joint Radio System or ABJRS to make things easier went live on January 13, 2013. At the time
of writing this Austintown Police, Austintown Road Department and Boardman Police are all on the new system.
The system is an APCO P25 Digital system and requires a newer digital scanner to monitor. The system has been monitored with a Uniden Bearcat 996XT, a Uniden Bearcat 396T and an older Uniden Bearcat 796D with no problems.
Frequencies: The ABJRS uses the following frequencies: 854.76250, 856.61250 (control channel), 857.08750, 857.61250
and 858.11250. They are licensed with the FCC by Austintown with joint ownership by Boardman. The system uses two
towers connected via a microwave link. They are located off of Barrington Drive in Austintown (located between Kirk,
Interstate 11, New Road and S Raccoon Rd) and at 8299 Market Street in Boardman (located between McClurg, Market,
Washington and Southern Blvd)
Digital Encoded vs Encryption: The system is a standard APCO P25 digital system which means you need a digital scanner
to monitor. At this time, none of the radio traffic is encrypted. There was some talk about encrypting but various sources say
that buying encryption modules for all radios would have been too costly.
Talkgroups: Confirmed talkgroups for Austintown include
1500 – Austintown Police Dispatch
1501 – Austintown Police Tac 2
1840 – Austintown Road Department.
Unconfirmed talkgroups for Austintown are 1502, 1503, 1504 and 1505.
Confirmed talkgroups for Boardman include
5500 – Boardman Police Dispatch
5501 - Boardman Police Tac 2
5502 – Boardman Police Tac 3
5505 – Boardman Police Supervisors
5507 – Boardman Police Detectives Tac 1
5508 – Boardman Police Detectives Tac 2
Unconfirmed talkgroups for Boardman are 5506 and 5512.
There are also other unconfirmed talkgroups that do not fall into the 15xx, 18xx or 5xxx zones. They are 1010 and 5010.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've always found the older T models to offer better reception than the XT models.
It sounds like something in the trunked settings area for the Site is not set correctly for that system when you imported it into the 996T.

If you put the 996T into Hold mode and then scroll through the sites frequencies, do you hear anything or see anything on the T's display when you get to the control channel?

The Uniden's will mute the audio as soon as they start decoding it while in Hold mode so you may only hear something very briefly when first tuning to the CC frequency. Then it should go silent and display the sites info on the T's display.
If it never goes silent and never displays any site info, that may be a sign that one or more of the settings for a P25 system are not programmed correctly in the radio.
Have you tried placing the radio into Manual P25 adjust mode and tried changing the decode level? I would not think that necessary if an XT model gets the site fine though but I have seen some sites that would only receive when the T was in P25 Manual mode with a level set to 5 or 6.
Some of the sites I can get need a setting of 12 like the sites from Starcom in Illinois while the city of St. Louis, MO works the best for me with a setting of 5 or 6. The 996T will not even decode the CC at all with a setting of 12 which works fantastic for the Starcom sites.
The default P25 mode of Auto is also horrible for most sites I monitor. It works OK on the Starcom sites but not worth a darn on the STL City site.

That may be worth looking at if you find all the sites settings are correct for a P25 site in the radio.

Good luck and if you find something that makes it work, please report back what it was!

mike6pmnews

Premium Subscriber
It's working now

I just downloaded the info from RR using my ARC996 Pro software (that I forgot i had) and it works fine. I don't know why the "copy' from my freinds ProScan had issues.
Thanks

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I just downloaded the info from RR using my ARC996 Pro software (that I forgot i had) and it works fine. I don't know why the "copy' from my freinds ProScan had issues.
Thanks

The "T" models of Uniden are not programmed the same as the "XT" models on certain Trunking Systems. Check the database and re-enter the Site information, and that should do the trick.

cinsu

I have had issues with system files magically switching types from P25 to Motorola type II when moving them from an XT to a T or the reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.