Not seeing serial port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
I just got a used laptop and loaded my Relm mobile program and went to check it on my mobile and it wont see the serial port.....Says port working ok. worked on another radio brand i changed same using same port.

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
If you could provide your operating system and version I might be able to assist

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
To open Device Manager, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager. There should be a category labeled "Ports (COM & LPT)". Click the plus to expand the category and you should be able to see the device you are trying to use listed there. If not, try a reboot with the device unplugged, then plug in once the computer is fully booted.

(Alternative option: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information > Components > Ports > Serial).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Nope not seeing it. removed and reloaded software. not seeing serial port. i used it on the same type radio after installing and worked fine. have it set to com 1, port settings at 9600, 8, none, 1, and none... so i havent a clue

cabletech

If you are having that much problem finding the port, then I would take it to a computer shop and they
normally have a device that they can connect to the port and verfiy that it is working.

After they verfiy that the port is working, then connect your cable and radio and open the program and you should be good to go.

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
If you are having that much problem finding the port, then I would take it to a computer shop and they
normally have a device that they can connect to the port and verfiy that it is working.

After they verfiy that the port is working, then connect your cable and radio and open the program and you should be good to go.

Yes you can bring it to someone with an RS232 loopback tester and they can verify it's functionality. Honestly though, it's probably less expensive to add a new com port, either buy buying an expansion card (for desktops and some older laptops) or a USB to serial converter.

Did you check to make sure COM port(s) are enabled in your BIOS?

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using Taptalk 2

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Well like i said it works on other programs with out a issue. i just programmed another brand of radio thru it no problem next problem is adding my 16 bit program in to it as its a 32.....errrrrrrrrrrrr thought getting a "new" older laptop wouldnt have this issue

Last edited:

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
I would suggest trying to borrow a friend's computer then to make sure it's not your radio or programming cable... I must've missed that part

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Now i have a proper cable for ICOM and i have 2 computers that will not see it. when i have use it before on these same 2 computers, This ALSO happens any other time i use said computers to program my scanner different cord different software it just wont see the 2303 driver....What gives....what am i doing wrong

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
Do you see any com ports in device manager when you follow the directions above?

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Yup......happens every time i plug a item in.....like it gets lost.....i got my ICOM to work on my desktop. after loading and reloading....now on to my laptop after i shut down the desktop gonna try it again and see if remembers.....

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
Ok. It's really difficult for me to give you more specific troubleshooting advice as I don't know the software... if you had the same issue on two computers it does sound like a software issue though.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
Nope my guess its the drivers and there not staying in the computer......period.....no idea why.....i downloaded again from profilic site. to my desktop, programmed radio all is fine....i am sure till i shut it off and restart. laptop now sees when i plug in but its looking for a file instead of loading driver. the laoptop is not hooked to internet so i put driver on thumb drive. but like i said every time i let computers rest from programming i go thru the same thing. no driver in site.....start over....and like i said its not one program its more than one....scanner and ICOM ,is the driver not working because i am using XP pro on the laptop?

Last edited:

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
Divers just don't disappear, they'll remain on the system until they're uninstalled. Make sure you're installing the right drivers for your hardware and operating system; sometimes there are multiple different drivers. If you're sure you have the right driver installation package, you can always try uninstalling the current drivers by clicking properties on the hardware in device manager, then restart the computer and install the “New" driver.

Mtnrider

Premium Subscriber
WOW now the laptop is asking for "ser2pl.sys" to re install via the wizard.......and after getting my desktop to see the driver now it wont see the cable for my scanner......yes restarted etc.....unreal...just went back and "troubleshot" the driver and it worked for the scanner....off the desktop....yup so one works at a time not both same driver differant cable......if i trouble shoot one the other wont work....unreal

Last edited:

CapStar362

Divers just don't disappear

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAH!!! your not serious right?

i have seen sooo much stuff just randomly "disappear" from a windows environment its not even funny anymore!!

i have had the thrilling experience of installing drivers, only to have to reboot, and get the famous BSOD, or even better yet: NTLDR is missing or corrupted. even to top that, i have rebooted a pc with xp on it, just for stability purposes, didnt change a single system attribute, when it rebooted.......guess what...............

Missing or Corrupted File: hal.sys

your WAAAAY off when you make a comment like that, hard drives can and WILL lose data randomly when you least expect it.

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced this. Data never never disappears. If you are using a clean installation of Windows (no viruses, malware, etc.) on a fully functioning, non faulty storage device, data will not disappear. From what you describe with system crashes, I would not consider your conditions ideal as the drivers you are attempting to install, from what I understand, never function properly to begin with. BOSDs and corrupt files can be attributed to any of the things I mentioned above, in addition to non-signed, incompatible, or just poorly developed drivers (often the case with cheap products, such as RS232>USB adapters, had this happen myself as well). The driver itself can also be corrupt from the beginning.

As for randomly "losing" data, this will not occur unless your storage media is faulty/contains bad sectors or you have malicious software on your computer. You might also want to check and make sure there isn't a large magnet resting atop your HDD, as this may affect the performance of your HDD and you will probably experience a great deal of issues with your computer. I always advise my clients to refrain from storing large magnets inside their computers....:lol:

CapStar362

okay WM, im not going to aruge with you...... im telling you that on a perfectly good system, ive seen data just disappear.

al95

I thing you are using a 16 bit software on a 32 bit computer. I might be wrong but the deference in bits might be the problem your computer does not support the 16 bit and that is way your port disappears when you connect the cable to the computer. Then reappears when you connect another ratios to the same port.

Status
Not open for further replies.