Not sure what to do, issue with BCD536

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD536HP, that i would say i think i've had less than a year, and since i bought it nrew from HRO in Plano, Tx online, it had a problem, where it would just go dead, i even sent it back to them to when it wouldnt come on or anything, and when they got it, and opened the box, and it came on fine, and they ran it overnight, and it worked fine, and they sent it back to me. So, it did it again, they day i got it back from them, but htey didnt ant to give me another unit. I got it working again somehow, just tapping here, hitting this, no clue. But last few days its been doing it again, and more frequently, i can either turn it off sometimes, and wont power back on, or it'll be on, and i'll look over at it sometimes during the day, and it went dead again. I've already got a HP2 coming, so thinking of selling the 536. Its currently working at the moment. Anybody interested, or what should i do, how long is the warranty?

KR3LC

Premium Subscriber
The 1-year warranty is a Uniden warranty. If the unit is less than a year old I think Uniden might still cover you. You'd have to go their site and inquire.

About the problem though, how do you power the radio? From the home adapter provide with it? From the car cord? Try different sources of power if your problem has always happened using the same source.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I use it at home exclusively, using the AC plug that it came with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
I use it at home exclusively, using the AC plug that it came with

First thing I would do is make a video of it when it plays up, and you tapping it lightly to make it come on again.
Then you've got something to show Uniden.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
First thing I would do is replace the microSD card and see if that fixes it.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I just called HRO where i ordered it from, and i got it in April, so they emailed me a copy of the reciept, so its still under warranty, thankfully.

Currently it is working, but it may just randomly shut off again at anytime, either with it being on, or if i turn it off and turn it back on, it did it a couple times when i first got it, but hasnt done it since, till the past week, its done it a few times, as of right now, its running, getting everything ready now to send it in, also, i mentioned for them to look at the display, cause to me, it doesnt seem very bright. I assume they can take a look and see if its the newest display or the old one.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tip, odd that it just turn into a powerless brick because of the sd card, but you never can tell, i'll give it a try, thanks again.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
It also had been at times, really having a issue with P25 system locally, sometimes its clear, but sometimes, it really breaks up, they can start talking, it just completely falls out, not sure if its an issue or what, just another thing it does. Thanks all for the help.

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The other guess would be try a different wall socket. Sounds like it might just be a loose or bad connection at the wall plugin.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I've plugged it into several plugs, and no difference, where it is 100 percent of the time, its plugged tightly into a surge protector. Best buy has a Sandisk 8GB michroSD for sale for 10.99. Its currently working at the moment, if anyone wants to make me an offer on it, PM me, i'll sell it, i've got enough scanners. I'll go ahead and get the new card, but like i said, if anybody is interested, PM me.

marksmith

I think you will be amazed at how much better it works with a new formatted SD card.

You could download SDFORMATTER and format your current card, and then go through the clear user data and recopy stuff over to the card and try that.

Once you lose the format on a card I would still recommend a new one.

There are a whole lot of weird problems that 436/536 radios develop when the SD card is going. ... and that are fixed by a new card.

Won't improve reception, but weird operations will stop.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Left it on, was gone for a few hours, and it was working, left my room, came back in, and quit working again, lol. No power, wont do anything.

About to open the new card, and try it, but i doubt it'll do anything, but never know.

garys

Premium Subscriber
One of the most common is sudden shut down without warning or going through the shut down procedure. A good number of people have had that happen and the fix has been a new card.

I think you will be amazed at how much better it works with a new formatted SD card.

You could download SDFORMATTER and format your current card, and then go through the clear user data and recopy stuff over to the card and try that.

Once you lose the format on a card I would still recommend a new one.

There are a whole lot of weird problems that 436/536 radios develop when the SD card is going. ... and that are fixed by a new card.

Won't improve reception, but weird operations will stop.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me how to go about setting up a new card for the 536?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Connect the scanner to your computer. Start Sentinel. . If the SD card doesn't show up, check "Show all drives". Select "Clear User Data". Once that's done, reload your data onto the card.

That's all I've ever needed to do with a card. If it needs formatting, I just format it as I would any other drive. I know people have used SD Formater, but I never have.

If you have the proper adapter, you won't need to put the card in the scanner first. Just connect it to your computer and do the above.

Can anyone tell me how to go about setting up a new card for the 536?

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I put the card in my computer went to the software, clicked clear user data, Then wrote to the card, put it back in the sccanner, working fine at the moment, will update if it breaks down again, I will still sell it if anybody is interested

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.