Novice antenna question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice1234

I suppose this is an old tiresome question. I have an Icom R-20 scanner with a 50 ohm antenna input. Would a digital TV antenna with what I assume is a 75 ohm cable work as an outdoor VHF/UHF scanner antenna if mounted so the elements are vertical? I like their compact size and ability to easily rotate for direction. Thanks for any help.

Ubbe

Do you have any model number of the antenna?
The bigger the elements of the antenna the better it will probably work on frequencies outside its frequency range.
My experiance are that an amplifier is needed to get a good out of band signal. The $10 inline ones for satellite dishes works adequate.

/Ubbe

bob550

Premium Subscriber
You could certainly try using the TV antenna. Grove Enterprises sold their "scanner beam" antenna years ago based on that design. Scanner Master currently sells this: https://www.scannermaster.com/SB_2_Scanner_Beam_II_Antenna_p/34-541847.htm. Just be aware of the limitations of frequency coverage and the directional coverage pattern of the TV antenna. The resistance difference between 75 and 50 Ohm cable makes little to no difference when receiving only. The bottom line is that almost any antenna you place outside and high is better than anything placed inside your house.

mule1075

Feed Provider
You could certainly try using the TV antenna. Grove Enterprises sold their "scanner beam" antenna years ago based on that design. Scanner Master currently sells this: https://www.scannermaster.com/SB_2_Scanner_Beam_II_Antenna_p/34-541847.htm. Just be aware of the limitations of frequency coverage and the directional coverage pattern of the TV antenna. The resistance difference between 75 and 50 Ohm cable makes little to no difference when receiving only. The bottom line is that almost any antenna you place outside and high is better than anything placed inside your house.
The one scannermaster sells is the same one from grove. It has been out of stock for a good while now. I have one in the box that will be either mounted soon or sold. If you wanted you could by any of the similar tv antennas on the market and modify it to mount vertically.

cmdrwill

Yes for UHF, not so much for VHF. Check the antenna specs.

That is correct, in the US we do not have low VHF television anymore, 52 to 88 mHz. Even some of the better TV antennas work poorly at 174 mHz channel 7 due to too short elements.

Status
Not open for further replies.