Novice Needs Scanning Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

NNWSF59

I'm new, to scanning and this board. I have a couple of questions that I'd be grateful for someone to answer.

I recently came across a Radio Shack Pro-93.
1. What will occur after May 5th in Marion County, IN, with this scanner?
2. Will it be worth it to purchase cables, software to program this unit given the (May 5th) switch to digital in this area?

Also, what is a good reference for a novice like myself to become familiar with scanning and scanners?

Thanks to all that reply.

hoser147

If they change to digital you may or may not get some transmissions it kinda depends on how they do it if it simulcast then it may be awhile, you should still be able to here fire tone outs and other traffic. Im not familiar with the May 5th thing but from what Im gathering that is info you gleamed. You may want to consider passing on the cable and just hand programing it. As far as a reference your here, Radio Reference and the WIKI at the top of the page have a wealth of information, on scanning, as does the Database here at RR. Good Luck and Good Scannin.........Hoser

NNWSF59

hoser147 said:
If they change to digital you may or may not get some transmissions it kinda depends on how they do it if it simulcast then it may be awhile, you should still be able to here fire tone outs and other traffic. Im not familiar with the May 5th thing but from what Im gathering that is info you gleamed. You may want to consider passing on the cable and just hand programing it. As far as a reference your here, Radio Reference and the WIKI at the top of the page have a wealth of information, on scanning, as does the Database here at RR. Good Luck and Good Scannin.........Hoser

Thanks for the info. Yes, I gleaned it from the database here:

May 5th, Monday

TIME AGENCY ID

0800 Clermont Police Department
0800 IMPD, Northwest District
0800 Pike Township Constable
0800 Pike Township School Police
0800 Wayne Township Constable

1000 IMPD North District
1000 Meridian Hills Police Department
1000 Park Tudor Police
1000 Rocky Ripple Police Department
1000 Washington Township Constable
1000 Washington Township School Police
1000 Williams Creek Police Department
1000 Crows Nest Police Departmen
1200 Cumberland Police Department
1200 IMPD North East District
1200 Lawrence Township Constable
1200 Warren Township Constable
1200 Warren Township School Police

1400 Franklin Township Constable
1400 Franklin Township School Police
1400 Homecroft Police Department
1400 IMPS South East District
1400 Perry Township Constable
1400 Southport Police Department

1600 Decatur Township Constable
1600 Decatur Township School Police
1600 IMPD Southwest District

1800 Center Township Constable
1800 IMPD
1800 IMPD CD
1800 IMPD Investigations
1800 Indiana War Memorial Police
1800 Marion County Coroner
1800 Marion County Crime Lab
1800 Marion County Justice Agency
1800 Marion County Prosecutors Office
1800 Marion County Court Probation
1800 Park Rangers

Is there a book that comes recommended for scanner/scanning info?

Thanks, again.

W9NES

The Pro-93 will be useless in Marion County/Indianapolis for what you are wanting to listen to.The only thing that the radio will be good for will be for monitoring Aircraft,Ham Radio, etc.But as far a Fire and or Law Enforcement all the activity will be on the new 800Mhz Digitial System.Sell the radio and get you a Uniden Bc 396T handheld and you will be able to hear all the Police and Fire on the new system.I have a 396T and use mine everyday and will plan on using it when they switch over to the new system.Also the same for my (5) Uniden bc 996T's that I own.Hope this helps.If you need any further assistance please feel free to pm me anytime as "My door is always open" Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES

Viper43

Theres a possibility that fire may not switch over to the new system until Motorola comes up with better noise cancelling mics. As it is now the testing shows the mics pick up way too much background noise and nearly cancel out the voice, especially the airpack alarms. I'm hearing that fire ops may stay right where they are until something is done about it.

Whats bad is Motorola has known about this problem since the first digital system install and they don't have a fix for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.