Now Have Daddy's Scanner. What's first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs

My father greatly enjoyed his Radio Shack 300-Channel Trunk Tracker Scanner for quite some time. He just passed and I haven't even turned it on yet because if he has programmed specific channels or other personal choices I don't want to chance losing a part of his history.

I live in the Houston Hobby area and he lived in Santa Fe, Texas. Is there a gentle heart who may carefully help me ascertain his personalised information, how to operate it without deleting what's there? A little patience with me, also, as this is the first forum I've been part of and aim to be a good scout.

Thanking you in advance...

mrs

Thank you for your condolence; it's very kind of you.
Daddy's scanner information is as follows.

300-Channel Trunk Tracker Scanner
Pro-90 Handheld
50-Channel-pper-second HyperScan
800MHz

By the way, can this be operated by battery only? I'm not sure if the charger will make its way to me,
and I really hope by cracking his code a tangible facet of him can stay with me.
Is it possible to have the scanner talk to my laptop so if there is anything stored in it I could dowload?

You've been great in answering so soon. Thanks!

jamesa53

This scanner has one of the better manuals, here is the link to it:

RadioShack.com

What I would do is go into Manual mode and write down every frequency and the channel number it is in. That way you can preserve your father's data if you wish. This scanner does not support a PC interface for programming.

It has a proprietary battery pack that is still available through Radio shack, so conventional batteries wont work in it unless you make something that is custom. It requires a 12V power supply and adaptaplug (I forget which one), both of which are available at Radio Shack.

Be advised that this is an analog only trunking scanner that only monitors Motorola Type I and II 800 systems. And, you can only monitor one system (site) at a time. When the scanner is in trunk tracking mode, you cannot scan conventional frequencies at the same time. I have one of these and it is a very good scanner though. Audio leaves something to be desired though.

SCPD

QRT
for my daddys scanner go to radio refference .com and go to database home pick texas go to santa fe look up the frequinces and there numbers and call sings writ them down on paper or if you have a desktop or laptop enter them in to a spreed sheet and save them

mrs

To Member mciupa

I apologize for being out of touch. I've had a prolonged case of the horribles, and it seems I'm coming out of it now. I posted an answer in the form of a quick reply, but as I said in my first time writing, I'm really lacking education in the forum of forums. If you can point me to simple tutelage, thank you. To your question, here we go.

Handheld
300-Channel
Trunk Tracker Scanner
Pro-90
Radio Shack 20-520
800MHz

If it would help, I might be able to send photos of the screen at your direction. I think I mentioned that the power source (charger) is still not in my hands. If operable without that, by simply replacing its batteries, would any data be lost? I was flipping through apps on my cell phone, one of which claimed to turn your phone into a scanner. Didn't check into it.

Best to you, and I so appreciate your time and help.

jamesa53

You really should read Post 4 of this thread....Start out by reading the manual which I provided a link for. That will get you going, its one of the easier scanners to program.

mrs

Now Have Daddy's Scanner

To jamesa53, Thank you for your response. I'm going to have to read it a few times to get it in my head, but I've opened the Radio Shack link. It isn't only the technical/preservation aspect of the scanner that makes me jumpy, it's the dialogue how-to and the way things flow in this, a forum situation, that have me as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. I apologize for not getting to you sooner; I've been ill, am getting much better, and that means I can follow the wisdom you've sent my way. Thank you! You're swell.

jamesa53

Just take your time and read the manual, it is one of the better ones here. Better to have the scanner in hand and operating if you can. That way you can push the buttons and see what happens. You will need the power supply and eventually the battery pack to get it going. The power supply and adaptaplug are available at RS stores, just take the scanner with you so you will get the correct adaptaplug. When I get home tonight, Ill try to determine which adaptaplug you need and post it. I do know it takes a 12V power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.