• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

NTLDR is missing !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I got a cheap computer for free, and was gonna just put Win2000 on it. When I try to boot it, I get NTLDR is missing, press CNTRL + ALT + DLT to reboot. Of course, rebooting just sends me in an endless cycle. I have tried to direct BIOS to boot from the Win2000 CD first, but there is no such setting. It is an IBM Netvista computer. Anyone ever get this, or know the way out? I tried to google, but the computer won't boot from 3.5 floppy, so I can't even make a new boot disk.

i_galbreath

Premium Subscriber
Some help...

We had this same problem with a computer at school after it had a new hard drive installed on it. There is no way to get around it at the start-up. I believe that it is a lose connection of some sort inside the computer.

I will use my resources and see if I can find something more specific.

Ian
(Unofficial computer person)

Go through ALL BIOS Settings. Set the a: drive or diskette boot on. also look for removable device boot enable. Check for boot order settings. Netvistas have several traps for booting. You seem to be booting now to an disk that has been Fdisked empty.

You can also try to set the BIOS to "default".

Another method is to put the hard drive in a hard drive encloser or use an USB reader to copy/paste the NTLDR file back to C drive...

Same thing can be done with the boot.ini if needed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

After this is fixed. I would make a recovery CD to fix all kinds of problems. http://www.ubcd4win.com/

Here is some more geeky stuff one might need.

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/features.php

http://dban.sourceforge.net/ (Best damn shredder in all the land! May take more than 12 hours though)

Last edited:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
CapStar362 said:
NTLDR is the OS detection file, it tells the BIOS what operating system to expect to be loaded

yah, thats it. easiest workaround is to stick the drive into something else. Your error does not even allow access for re-format. It is one of the more dreaded errors.

DanTSX said:
yah, thats it. easiest workaround is to stick the drive into something else. Your error does not even allow access for re-format. It is one of the more dreaded errors.

yes i ve done this as a fix, just pop the drive into another Win NT (2000, XP) based machine and it will replace your NTLDR automatically

Advice

1) If you have important things on the drive, put it in a usb external box and copy them to another computer.

2) Forget about saving that mess, format the drive and reinstall once you have checked the drive for bad sectors and confirmed it is useable.

3) The time spent trying to restore windows from this condition is almost always a complete waste of time, been there, done that, been repairing and building boxes for a long time. How long have you spent so far, and hour or two tinkering? You could have already formatted the drive and been back up and running with a fresh install of windows ( it takes about a half an hour to wipe a drive and install windows).

4) A PC will ALWAYS run better with a fresh install of windows than with an old one. Period. Various things including the registry get corrupted beyond repair given enough time. All sorts of devious things are probably having their way with your internet explorer. Things that a professional could spend hours trying to get rid of and give up on. Trust me.

5) Installing windows is very easy.

6) In the future, when partitioning your drive for an install with any PC, set aside 12G for windows, and save the rest as a "D" drive. This will be where you store important things. That way in the future, when you have to reformat he C partition and reinstall windows, nothing important is lost and you have a half an hour of work and you are done, with a fresh speedy install of windows. Several friends of mine with a lot of A+ type experience wipe the drive and reinstall once or more a year just to keep things running at top speed, no kidding. Windows gets ruined over time, and that is a fact. Make SURE you install a strict firewall and auto-updating anti-virus OTHER THAN the big name products who always become complacent when they get big. Try bitdefender or one of the other up and comers who still care and are not targeted for system shut-downs by virus writers.

7) At some point you will come to the sad realization that while windows is the only way to do certain things, especially for a radio guy, it doesn't do some things very well. For web surfing, email, picture and media uses, macs are much more solid and reliable. I learned some time ago to use my macbooks apple side for everything possible (faster, more secure, less stupid problems and errors than windows), and dual boot windows xp (vista is garbage) for other stuff I use like AutoCAD, engineering programs I need for work, and radio programming software for my toys. Works well. Macs aren't screwed up so easily by hackers and virus writers. PC's have like 20,000 viruses or some nonsense, macs have under a dozen. Of those dozen all target MS Office for mac through macros for excel for the most part. Again, MS is the weakness. This isn't an ad for apple either, because if you have a higher than average ability with computers, Linux is also far superior to windows for most things. People feel forced to be part of the MS monopoly for various reasons, including fear of change, but more people need to think outside of the box.

So there. Advice for those afraid or unable to turn away from windows, and advice for those who are sick of the flawed MS operating systems and sickened by the bloated buggy vista (which most federal agencies have banned for use at this time - can you say security concerns?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.