Number of streams

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I'd recommend reading the RR Wiki on broadcasting feeds... here are a couple of excellent articles.

In a typical feed, one computer can stream 2 feeds, one radio on the left channel, and one on the right (stereo).

Take a look at these:

Becoming a Feed Provider - The RadioReference Wiki
Broadcasting Feeds - The RadioReference Wiki

It looks as if the ScannerCast software only supports one audio input device (sound card) at a time. Therefore, one can conclude that one computer can send two feeds (radios) at a time. See here for details on ScannerCast...

RR Live Audio Broadcasting Software - The RadioReference Wiki

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thats why I was asking for an answer from a feed supplier as I have read all the other information. As I have the equipment, the inside information (TRS Programmer) for the county, the skills with computers, the time to set it up, and a 3meg upstream 20meg downstream internet connection.

Scan-Denver

How many scanner feeds can 1 computer supply? I have several scanners and 1 home computer to use for a scanner streamer.
Depending on how much of a beast you have under the hood of your computer, you would be able to use several instances of the streaming client which will handle at least 1 stereo feed or two mono feeds separating the left and right channels and using a different sound card for each streaming client.

Scan-Denver

Also keep in mind it is best to dedicate a computer for the sole purpose of streaming that way resources aren't being robbed from streaming for browsing the web, email, or whatever else you use your computer for on a daily basis.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Thanks looking at a dual core 3.4 gb with 2 gb ram spare desktop just sitting around that I can add to if needed I have up to 3 maybe 4 scanners I can use to run streams from other counties and systems that have no coverage around me for live streams.

NYRHKY94

Essentially, you can have as many feeds from 1 PC as there are sound cards. For example, 5 of the live feeds I offer on RR are streamed from one Dell GX270 tower. I have 4 separate PCI sound cards installed in that box and also use the on-board sound as well.

talkpair

My setup is somewhat similar to NYRHKY94's.

It's a used AOpen Pentium 4, 1.4 GHz motherboard that I bought on ebay for $8.00.
The main reason I chose this board was for the 5 PCI slots.
I've tried and pretty much rejected the cheap USB sound cards and stick with Soundblaster cards.

It only has 512 MB or memory, and I am able to run 5 feeds with no trouble.
Two are streamed on radioreference, and the other 3 I listen to locally.

I run Debian 6.0 Linux, with NO graphical interface, no monitor and no keyboard or mouse.
I telnet into the machine from another to make changes, etc.

Scan-Denver makes a good point for recommending a dedicated machine as well.
I just checked the processes and the 3 streams I'm currently running locally combined are only using 9% CPU and 1.5% RAM resources.
Since the machine I'm using is dedicated, no other applications will be competing for CPU and RAM.
Another thing to consider is your own willingness to leave a pricey computer powered on 24 hours a day when an outdated computer will easily do the work.

Just a few things to think about.

Good Luck

NYRHKY94

Talkpair's comments are right on the money IMO. I got my Dell GX270 from my employer for $50 and set it up as a dedicated feed machine. It's got a 2.9 MHz P4 processor and came with 2GB of RAM. I filled the 4 PCI slots with sound cards I pulled out of some old machines and have nothing running on the box other than my feeds and streaming software. Very low CPU & memory consumption. I am also not a fan of the cheapo USB sound cards and avoid using them for my feeds.

hmburgers

Another thing to consider is your own willingness to leave a pricey computer powered on 24 hours a day when an outdated computer will easily do the work.

I think you were speaking from a "wearing it out" point of view, but it's worth noting that a newer machine may in fact use less electricity than an older machine depending on whether the newer machine supports power saving features in the CPU, hard disk, etc that the older one doesn't.

In my case I am using a 7 year old Pentium-M laptop. It consumes only 17W (Kill-A-Watt reading) while running with the lid closed (LCD off). I am running Windows XP and if I want to administrate it I can use Remote Desktop (be sure to set the option to "Leave Audio At Remote PC") -- BTW I'm fortunate that this older machine actually has a Line Input jack on it, many portable machines only have a microphone jack.

The other reason I chose to use an older/spare computer is because it should limit offline time caused by the machine needing to reboot as a result of the almost daily updates that either Microsoft, Adobe or Oracle seem to be pushing...

Status
Not open for further replies.