NW Ohio Public Safety System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
I purchased a Radio Shack Pro 96 digital scanner about 8 years ago and it has been a disappointment.
It doesn't decode many of the communications and they become unreadable. Are there any new scanners that have overcome this problem? The system is a P25 phase 1 so would any of the new radios do any better than the Pro96? I don't want to invest another pile of cash on a radio with the same difficulties. From this forum I know that it was a common problem back when I got it. Thanks for your help!
Mark
Oregon, OH

Swipesy

I am not sure why the Pro-96 is a disappointment for you? The radio was released more than 10 years ago and there have been 4 generations of new scanners issued since the Pro-96 came out. A lot has transpired in the public service radio world since that scanner came out and what electonics product can you buy that lasts 10 years with the way technology has changed?

The Pro-96 still works on certain P-25 Systems which is a real positive considering its age. But it was designed before 700 Mhz was used so if you are trying to monitor a 700 Mhz P-25 then it won't. I still have a Pro-96 that works fine on MARCS 800Mhz and sounds as good as my 5 generation later scanners.

Now as to your question, if you want to catch up to the current technology and buy new be prepared to shell out $400 - $550. If you want to buy used and get lucky you might find a more current scanner in the $300 -$400 range. Tle latest scanners are the Uniden 536, 436, Whistler TRX1 and 2's. Your opening comment makes it obvious you have not followed technology in quite some time. I would suggest you read through the Uniden, Whistler, Radio Shack and to a lesser extent the former GRE forums on Radio Reference to get up to speed. And even with the latest technology be prepared for lousy reception on certain days and environments. That is the new scanner hobby life.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
The MARCS system does do ok on my Pro96. I am not monitoring any 700MHz systems. When I got the radio the problem I had was very prominent on thr forum. I got mine 8+ years ago. I want to know if any radios now have corrected the problem I am having. I dont know if I can find the threads from that long ago but I will check.
Thanks for reply

budevans

The MARCS system does do ok on my Pro96. I am not monitoring any 700MHz systems. When I got the radio the problem I had was very prominent on thr forum. I got mine 8+ years ago. I want to know if any radios now have corrected the problem I am having. I dont know if I can find the threads from that long ago but I will check.
Thanks for reply

Downlinerz2,
Based on your location and the two P25 systems in Lucas County, I'm surprised that you can monitor either system, with a Pro 96.

According to the MARCS-IP database. MARCS-IP in Lucas county is half 700 Mhz and half 800 Mhz. The Control Channel and Alternate Control Channel freqs are 700 Mhz. So how are you monitoring MARCS-IP with a Pro 96?

The other P25 system listed for Lucas County is the Northwest Ohio Regional Public Safety System, a Simulcast 800 MHz system. Since it's a Simulcast system and you are located in Oregon. You most likely should be having problems (garbled audio) receiving it (with a rubber ducky antenna).

As Swipesy posted, today there are multiple scanners offered by both Uniden and Whistler. The price range for a new scanner to monitor P25 and other digital formats is roughly the low $300 to $500 range.

One note, none of the new scanners can guarantee to properly monitor Simulcast systems. Yes, they are better at it than older scanners. But still not perfect.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Bud,
Thanks for your reply. I have had my MARCS bank turned off for the last 3 years or more. I would have to check my scanner log books that I have been keeping since the 60's. I was not hearing anything of interest though so it has been off just not sure what year but it was working when I did.
As for the NWOPS System the Pro 96 does get enough of the transmission to make it worthwhilel to have on. I have replaced the antenna with an antenna from the Cellular Security Group and it did make a noticeable improvement in reception. 60% of transmissions have periods of unreadability. Some of those are short. While I have gotten used to it I am interested in looking to see if any of the new radios have overcomed the situation or not. Doesn't sound to promising. Thanks again!

Nasby

Bud,
Thanks for your reply. I have had my MARCS bank turned off for the last 3 years or more. I would have to check my scanner log books that I have been keeping since the 60's. I was not hearing anything of interest though so it has been off just not sure what year but it was working when I did.
As for the NWOPS System the Pro 96 does get enough of the transmission to make it worthwhilel to have on. I have replaced the antenna with an antenna from the Cellular Security Group and it did make a noticeable improvement in reception. 60% of transmissions have periods of unreadability. Some of those are short. While I have gotten used to it I am interested in looking to see if any of the new radios have overcomed the situation or not. Doesn't sound to promising. Thanks again!

It's time for a new scanner. You are missing out on alot.

budevans

Bud,

Downlinerz2,

Here are my two recommendations.

1st: For the NWOPS system you need a directional antenna. NWOPS is a Simulcast system, which means all of the towers for that system transmit the same traffic. Since the towers are at different distances from your location your scanner receives multiple overlapping signals. Think of it this way, if you went to a movie theater and it was using three projectors that were out of sync, you would see a blurry picture and garbled sound. The best fix for a Simulcast system is a simple directional antenna. I use a table top TV directional antenna that cost me $10. I went from days where I couldn't receive anything in the clear to being able to monitor every day. It's not 100% perfect, some days the audio is a little choppy, but it's readable and those choppy days are few and far between.

2nd: Regarding MARCS-IP. You need a digital scanner that can monitor the 700 Mhz band. There are a number of choices from Uniden and Whistler. Some with prices starting in the low $300 range.

Hope this helps.

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Bud,
Yes Thank-you! I am going to look onto the directional antenna. I will let you know how it goes. I think I have a couple of tv antenna in the basement but not sure. And, if I still decide to get a new scanner I will probably need some of advice from you all! ��

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
Bud,
Your mention of an antenna I remembered that several oyears ago I bought an antenna for this but was never able to get a good signal on the scanner. I got that antenna out of the basement storage and brought it out and connected it and it seems I have a new radio. Back then I was not able to put it up in a place where it recieved well. I do not know what kind of antenna it is. At the top of the mast there are 2 short bars at right angles to the mast. Below there is a 6 foot element on each side and two shorter ones that form a V at the mast with the long one in the middle. There are some metal wing like elements attached to the long element.
I hope this will continue . I have it set up in my den on a chair now. Have to get it set up outside or someplace less conspicuous! Lol
Thank you for your assistance. The reception is not 100% but it is a whole lot better!

Downlinerz2

Premium Subscriber
I will not be getting a new radio at this time but I was wondering about the unication radios I saw on Scanner Master. They are supposed to eliminate the simulcast bit loss. I am maybe going to start saving for one of them hoping the price will come down some. It will take some time to save that much. Does anyone have experience with these or know someone who has?

Swipesy

If you type in "Unication" in the RR Forum search button and select "Show Posts" you will get plenty of discussion on the pros and cons. The Unication is not a scanner and as a result is not as flexible as a scanner. If you want to listen to only one system at a time then it will out perform a scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.