• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 install 2015 Ford Fusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitreffahcs

Premium Subscriber
Finally got around to installing my NX-5700/5800 in my 2015 Ford Fusion....Overall it went pretty smooth. Getting power from the battery to the trunk proved a little painful, but worked out well in the end.

I decided to mount the radios on the bottom of the rear deck so they would be out of the way of anything else in the trunk. I ran power for the decks under the carpet along the drivers side, there was already an existing plastic channel for wires which worked out nice. I haven't ran the cable for the control head yet, but it will be routed the same way. The control head is only temporarily installed for now, until I decide on a final location.

I'm using a Comet SS680SBNMO for an antenna, which seems to have really wide bandwidth, and seemed like a great deal for only $40. I have it mounted on a Diamond K400CNMO trunk lip mount for now, but eventually I will drill a hole. Using the Comet CF-416A to connect the antenna to both radio decks.

Attachments

• IMG_20161030_133451 (1).jpg
    IMG_20161030_133451 (1).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,239
  • IMG_20161030_204845-2.jpg
    IMG_20161030_204845-2.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 1,327
  • IMG_20161016_135056.jpg
    IMG_20161016_135056.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 942
  • IMG_20161016_135942-2.jpg
    IMG_20161016_135942-2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 833

dapaq2

Can we see some photos of your power cable run? Interested to see how you went about wiring up the two rf decks and also under the hood to the battery...

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
That is a very nice set up - the control head actually looks natural right there! I wish I could afford such expensive toys!

Mike

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Looks really good... do you have the option to get separate displays for each radio with that control head? I saw a picture a while back showing VHF/UHF/800 with separate display lines on one advanced control head.

Those NX-5000's might make me finally convert from Motorola.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I have a 2015 Fusion Hybrid so the 12 volt battery is in the back. Thanks for sharing and I will check out the rear deck for my install.

73 Eric

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Very nice that's how I installed the 2 Astro Spectra's in my wife's 2013 Taurus with a W-3 head and my son's 500 with a W-4 installed in the dash after I replaced the stock radio with a 1 din radio. I had a few extra Ford speakers so I placed them in the openings in the rear deck and hooked the 2 radios to them rather than find a place somewhere under the dash.

Just be VERY careful how you mount that control head, there is a circuit board directly behind that portion of the dash for the radio and heat/ac controls. Also I would run power and control up the passenger side since most of Ford's wiring runs on the drivers side and you might cause an issue with something. Ford's up-fitter books always call for passenger wiring of extra equipment. Power from the battery can be PITA , but again Ford recommends running the power up the passenger side and through a groment that's behind the kick panel into a dead space and then out to the engine bay. I always just remove the inner fender well and access it that way.

Last edited:

mitreffahcs

Premium Subscriber
Can we see some photos of your power cable run? Interested to see how you went about wiring up the two rf decks and also under the hood to the battery...

Sorry for the late reponse everyone, been on the road the past few weeks.

I will try and take some pictures soon. I wish I would have done a little more research on ways to run power.... I ended up pulling the grommet out for the hood release cable, put a bigger grommet around the hole and then ran the power and cable through.... it was a pain in the butt to do, I don't recommend going that route. The rest of the power was easy, going down the driver's side wasn't too bad, there's already track there that had enough space for two power leads, I just tried to keep them as tight as I could to the existing wire bundle. The rear seat actually came out super easy, then just standard vehicle clips for all the plastic parts.

Live and learn I guess.... Still struggling with how to mount the head, right now it's just velcro'd... I guess I just don't want to give up that 12v cig lighter right there, and I used to always put my phone in that tray. Thanks radioman for the tip about the circuit board, I'll have to look into that if I start to drill.

Thanks 03msc for the link to the vehicle thread, I'll have to throw some pics out there as well sometime soon.

Biglebowski - Yes you can can basically create any sort of setup as far as # of decks, heads etc... very flexible.

Attachments

• NX-5700-config-5xMM.jpg
    NX-5700-config-5xMM.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 552
Status
Not open for further replies.