• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 Series, Q&A, Info, and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
03MSC,

Yes I am going with dual deck, single head configuration. This is a huge, major investment and I'm planning on this set up lasting me quite a few years! Evans has been great so far working with me on what I needed/wanted. Never a complaint about switching, adding or taking away from a proposal. Then a few days later when software began to arrive he was great with helping in the install process. I do have to say Kenwood is making it extremely difficult with this radio. Whatever happened to "run install" and go! 8-/

Mike

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Crossband

Has anyone had issues with Crossband Repeat "Mobile Relay" getting stuck on? I've noticed that a couple times the radio will freeze up, not respond to power off or exit, but will be stuck transmitting dead air. I have an NX-5700, and an NX-5800 tied together with a KCH-20R.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had issues with Crossband Repeat "Mobile Relay" getting stuck on? I've noticed that a couple times the radio will freeze up, not respond to power off or exit, but will be stuck transmitting dead air. I have an NX-5700, and an NX-5800 tied together with a KCH-20R.
What's your firmware version????

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Need to get 2.6 and load that in

KD2DXF

Nobody
Premium Subscriber
Need to get 2.6 and load that in

Found today that the problem still exists. only this time it seems to only be the UHF Deck that gets stuck on. Again no lights and the display freezes. When i pressed Exit, it took the radio a full minute to actually power cycle.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Email me both files, and do a write up on it from start to lock up, need to be able to duplicate it on the bench before I can get it escalated.

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
Anyone run into problems with off hook scan and using a magnetic mic holder? Doesn't matter if the mic holder is grounded or not, I'm using a KMC-35. Am I missing something here?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Anyone run into problems with off hook scan and using a magnetic mic holder? Doesn't matter if the mic holder is grounded or not, I'm using a KMC-35. Am I missing something here?
How is the radio programmed? Is off hook scan enabled?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

The hang up knob on the back of the microphone has two connections. The part against the mic body is ground, the center is the hook switch. To make it work correctly with the MagnetMics, you have to open up the microphone and electrical tape over the spring. You can probably pull/cut the spring out, but I wanted to be able to return the mic to normal operation if they ever got tired of the magnetmics.

FEsbrcM.jpg

I've done this on NX-5700's and it works. Did it on the NX-900 and NX-700 in my work truck. Pretty sure I did it on the TK-5710's in our patrol cars (different model microphone though).

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
OK, well, crap. Ignore what I said above. I was modding one of this this morning for an NX-5700 and the photo above shows the wrong part to cover. The correct one is below. There's a metal finger coming up from the button on the back. Bend it over and put a piece of electrical tape over that one, that'll make it work the way you want.

2019-01-18_09-52-31.jpeg

bondo_06092

Premium Subscriber
OK, well, crap. Ignore what I said above. I was modding one of this this morning for an NX-5700 and the photo above shows the wrong part to cover. The correct one is below. There's a metal finger coming up from the button on the back. Bend it over and put a piece of electrical tape over that one, that'll make it work the way you want.

View attachment 67723
Perfect, i'll do this! thanks so much!

Colton25

Has anyone considered trying to use Ethernet cable in place of the KCT-71 cable or making an adapter to go from the KCT-71 cable to Ethernet? I know there’s HDMI over Ethernet adapters out there, I would think something similar could be done with the KCT-71 cable. Maybe it’s a far out stupid idea.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone considered trying to use Ethernet cable in place of the KCT-71 cable or making an adapter to go from the KCT-71 cable to Ethernet? I know there’s HDMI over Ethernet adapters out there, I would think something similar could be done with the KCT-71 cable. Maybe it’s a far out stupid idea.
To many wires on the cable. So not practical at this time.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Good evening I am looking into purchasing a NX-5200K3. I love the idea of having NXDN DMR, and Analog in the same radio. I had a few questions about the radio. Is ARC4 encryption in DMR compatable with Motorola Enhanced privacy? I read somewhere that it is, but has anyone tested it? My next question is how well does it work in receiving railroads in analog? I know they are fully switching to NXDN in the future, but that doesn't seem be happening anytime soon. Also can anyone recommend a dealer?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Good evening I am looking into purchasing a NX-5200K3. I love the idea of having NXDN DMR, and Analog in the same radio. I had a few questions about the radio. Is ARC4 encryption in DMR compatable with Motorola Enhanced privacy? I read somewhere that it is, but has anyone tested it? My next question is how well does it work in receiving railroads in analog? I know they are fully switching to NXDN in the future, but that doesn't seem be happening anytime soon. Also can anyone recommend a dealer?
There are a few of us that help hams out.
We can be found on FB also. Also depends on your location, if your local dealer wont help, then you can contact me.

For railroad use, the 5200k3 works very well.
I'm working on changing over a Railroad to NXDN soon. Virgin in south Florida is already using nxdn now. So it is useable.

JSsignal16

Premium Subscriber
Thank you everyone for the information and the guidance. I unfortunately do not live very close to a Kenwood dealer therefore I will take a look at my options and reach out soon to someone for pricing. Thanks again!

U2flyer

Anyone that can recommend a dealer in the Atlanta Area? I am looking for a NX-5200 Full Keypad with Analog, DMR and a P25 key. Also if I bought a radio online from someone that is not a dealer what would be the CPS cost along with a DMR, P25 key?

Status
Not open for further replies.