• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5300 P25 Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
12.5 and 25 has nothing on P25! It's only about analog!

Here is where you set P25 moduilation in Quantar. Here WIDE PULSE means 3.0 kHz ±5% and NARROW PULSE 2.83 kHz ±5% of P25 CAI deviation.

In case of Kenwood, you must use NARROW. WIDE will not work. Because Kenwood don't have demodulator compatible with 3.0 kHz digital deviation.

DO NOT MIX IT UP WITH WIDEBAND/NARROWBAND AS MANY USERS ABOVE.

They go hand-in-hand. Per the Quantar manual, you can only use a Wide Pulse setting on a 25 kHz channel.

RK3AAG

You can use virtually any combination. But for proper P25 WIDE operation you must select:

CHANNEL INFO - CAI RX WIDE DEV
RF CONF - WIDE PULSE
And if you're using mix mode (ANALOG / ASTRO CAI), you also must set RECEIVCE CH BW to WIDE 25-30 kHz.

But I think that P25 WIDE is oblolette digital modulation and requires wideband permission from FCC, because it's not narrow-band compatible. I think so.

BEWARE: These settings are NOT compatible with Kenwood!

Last edited:
Ok so my RF Config is wide pulse for sure.

If I move it to narrow pulse, perhaps based on what you guys are saying the kenwood radio will work.

However, please educate me on what this narrow vs wide pulse actually is and what it means.

Does narrow pulse decrease my effective footprint?

Is wide pulse better overall in terms of maximizing my P25 footprint. Furthermore will APX and XTS/XTL and bendix king subscribers still be able to use the p25 side of my repeater on narrow pulse.

I don't want to move my quantar to narrow pulse if it degrades performance of my system. I'd rather just not use the kenwood radio if that is the case.

Sorry for all the insistence on 25 kHz vs 12.5 KHz. I just don't like narrow band since in the ham world wide band is still allowed and is better in terms of range. I hope ham bands will never go narrow band.

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I need to get one on one with you, but here is what I have and is my bench test. (photos)

The only thing I need to ask for is the same information back to confirm what I think is going on. We can discuss this in private email to each other, but I have a notion as to what is going on.

Back to you.

All looks good, except for this piece, the repeaters that the Kenwood is working with are configured with WIDE PULSE as shown below/attached. The only difference is that even though this is set to WIDE PULSE the repeater owner (which the Kenwood NX-5300 is currently working through) set the MODULATION COMPENSATION via the alignment tools to 3.5 kHz per the the help Quantar Help files.

FYI: I'm just passing this information along 3rd party if you want to talk all Quantar GEEK mode then let me know and I can pass the repeater owners information onto you privately via a PM.

Hope this helps us all!
Ted/KE6YJC

Attachments

• Capture_3.PNG
    Capture_3.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 408

RK3AAG

Narrow pulse is not worse than Wide. You have nothing to lose

Change all your fleet settings and you will go with Kenwood. There is a digital modulator control in Quantar, XTS, XTL and APX. Not sure about BK.

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
Well it's confirmed switching the "ASTRO TX filter" to NARROW Pulse fixed the issue. Can hear P25 on the NX-5300 now! YAY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.