• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5300 P25 Not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I purchased an NX-5300 UHF range 1 model so I can use analog, DMR, and P25 in one radio. My radio is provisioned and fully activated on both DMR and P25.

Analog and DMR work great.

However, there are problems with P25. I can receive and transmit P25 simplex from the NX-5300 when using it with my APX and XTS radios.

When I transmit through my two P25 repeaters and my friend's P25 repeaters it does fine, but it is not receiving the P25 signal coming from the repeaters. I verified all settings on the CPS including my NAC codes and squelch settings. I tried on mixed mode P25 and straight P25 and the radio just does not decode the P25 signal coming through on the repeater output frequency.

I tried transmitting on the repeater output using my APX radio to the NX-5300 and it received the P25 signal, but it sounded a bit off frequency. When doing simplex from the APX to the NX-5300 it worked and didn't sound off frequency.

Despite this, it is not usable on the P25 repeaters. I can see the green light come on when it receives the P25 signal, but it's just not decoding it into audio.

Any advice/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Send me your code plug and I will test it out. I have a write up form I use with tech support that will address anything I find in the code.
Kd4efm1 at gmail.

Thanks.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

RK3AAG

My NX mobiles works fine with Motorola Quantar in P25.

1. Be sure that all of Moto stuff uses standard digital modulation. Standard one is C4FM (no simulcast). CQPSK will also work, but anyway, not recommended for one repeater in conventional mode. And stay away of WIDE type of modulation, Kenwood is not compatible with it (I have it checked already). But Motorola do all of these 3 modes well in any combination.

2. Use F7E as NAC for testing purposes (works as 'All Call' for RX Only).

3. And of course, be sure that all of encryption in Moto is turned off. It’s very obvious advice and looks like it’s not your case, but just check it to be sure.

4. If you have access to modern service monitor, check your Kenwood's carrier for accuracy. It must be set no worse than +-500 Hz, but less than +-200 Hz will be better.

If you confirm this bug, please share your expirience in my thread dedicated to bugs and lacks of NX5K platform http://forums.radioreference.com/ke...-problems-lacks-suggestions-improvements.html

Last edited:
I have confirmed that the modulation on the radio and my Quantars has been in C4FM including my quantar. We tried F7E on the receive and no success.

As far as narrow banding, I don't want to move my quarters to narrow band since wide band is just better in my experience in terms of range. If wide band isn't compatible with this kenwood, I'm gonna be sending this radio back for a refund. I hope the wide banding isn't what causing the issues because I really want this to work. I did try simplex wide band from the APX to the nx 5300 and it worked fine on wide band even across town.

Thanks for the posts. I will keep you all posted as I try to remedy this.

Evans, YJC sent you the Codeplug.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I have confirmed that the modulation on the radio and my Quantars has been in C4FM including my quantar. We tried F7E on the receive and no success.

As far as narrow banding, I don't want to move my quarters to narrow band since wide band is just better in my experience in terms of range. If wide band isn't compatible with this kenwood, I'm gonna be sending this radio back for a refund. I hope the wide banding isn't what causing the issues because I really want this to work. I did try simplex wide band from the APX to the nx 5300 and it worked fine on wide band even across town.

Thanks for the posts. I will keep you all posted as I try to remedy this.

Evans, YJC sent you the Codeplug.

Got it, Check PM for my message, get it back to me and I will have it out in just a few.

RK3AAG

RadioPilot1983

Do not mix up channel bandwidth with digital modulator type. It's is not the same. WIDE is 3-rd kind of digital modulation in Moto, it's located in personality, but not on Zone (in Astro25).

Attachments

• WIDE-mod.png
    WIDE-mod.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 776

RK3AAG

Okay. Interesting issue to investigate. Do you have modern service monitor to check both sides for frequencies accuracy? TX and RX.

ke6yjc

Premium Subscriber
P25 does work, just not in wide-band

So it turns out that 95% of the repeaters here in our area (Fresno, CA) are in wide band mode not in Narrow band. We have confirmed with two repeaters that the NX-5300 does work with the narrow band repeaters and with APX 6000 handhelds using talk around. However, no love with the wide band repeaters even though the wide band option was purchased. Supposedly a wide band option for P25 is being looked at by Kenwood per another dealer who has contacted Kenwood. Just have to wait for the firmware update now if they decide to add wide band P25! :)

RK3AAG

So it turns out that 95% of the repeaters here in our area (Fresno, CA) are in wide band mode not in Narrow band.
You have mixed up WIDE digital modulator and wideband/narrowband again.

Doesn't work. Works narrow band P25 only, most ham repeaters are wide. Tried it on a narrow ham quantar and it worked, then tried it on wide band quantar and didn't work. I'm just gonna return the radio next week. Will have to wait for another brand to release a multi protocol radio.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't work. Works narrow band P25 only, most ham repeaters are wide. Tried it on a narrow ham quantar and it worked, then tried it on wide band quantar and didn't work. I'm just gonna return the radio next week. Will have to wait for another brand to release a multi protocol radio.

Let me understand this, Your saying wide Band P25? Did you try changing the P25 Modulation type?
C4FM or LSM on your Kenwood?

C4FM is standard P25 APCO compliant
LSM is Linear Simulcast Modulation

I can't vouch for what they have programmed in the repeaters there it's self, but I have not had any P25 issues with the repeaters in the Miami-Dade areas when i travel down there, and those are ran by the
Plantation Motorola Radio Club. SO... I will dig out my laptop and pull up my P25 repeater (by the way I also have an 800 commercial I talk on with my 5900) and look at the settings and see just what you are
refering to as Wide Band P25. I just need a little more info, IF THIS TURNS OUT TO BE A BUG, I will
do my write form I use for Kenwood and send it in for review. Don't throw the towel in yet, the portion
where P25, NXDN, and DMR all being on is being coded and tested in Japan. Enough people have talked
to their respective dealers, and they have talk to Kenwood, and yes, Kenwood is working on having a tri-mode radio version forthcoming. That is all they will tell me.

If I can duplicate it with my stuff, then you have a vaild issue. Keep me posted please.

Let me understand this, Your saying wide Band P25? Did you try changing the P25 Modulation type?
C4FM or LSM on your Kenwood?

C4FM is standard P25 APCO compliant
LSM is Linear Simulcast Modulation

I can't vouch for what they have programmed in the repeaters there it's self, but I have not had any P25 issues with the repeaters in the Miami-Dade areas when i travel down there, and those are ran by the
Plantation Motorola Radio Club. SO... I will dig out my laptop and pull up my P25 repeater (by the way I also have an 800 commercial I talk on with my 5900) and look at the settings and see just what you are
refering to as Wide Band P25. I just need a little more info, IF THIS TURNS OUT TO BE A BUG, I will
do my write form I use for Kenwood and send it in for review. Don't throw the towel in yet, the portion
where P25, NXDN, and DMR all being on is being coded and tested in Japan. Enough people have talked
to their respective dealers, and they have talk to Kenwood, and yes, Kenwood is working on having a tri-mode radio version forthcoming. That is all they will tell me.

If I can duplicate it with my stuff, then you have a vaild issue. Keep me posted please.

The Nx-5300 is definitely set to C4FM. All of my radios have always been set to this as we are not simulcasting.

All of my quantars and most of the quantars around my area in Central CA are wide band except for a couple. The couple that are narrowbanded that we have tried work on the Nx-5300 but the rest that are in wideband do not work. The radio can talk through the repeater but the radio is not decoding any signal coming from the wide band repeater.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The Nx-5300 is definitely set to C4FM. All of my radios have always been set to this as we are not simulcasting.

All of my quantars and most of the quantars around my area in Central CA are wide band except for a couple. The couple that are narrowbanded that we have tried work on the Nx-5300 but the rest that are in wideband do not work. The radio can talk through the repeater but the radio is not decoding any signal coming from the wide band repeater.

Okay, I need to get one on one with you, but here is what I have and is my bench test. (photos)

The only thing I need to ask for is the same information back to confirm what I think is going on. We can discuss this in private email to each other, but I have a notion as to what is going on.

Back to you.

Attachments

• Capture_1.PNG
    Capture_1.PNG
    11 KB · Views: 554
  • Capture_2.PNG
    Capture_2.PNG
    9.6 KB · Views: 476
  • Capture_3.PNG
    Capture_3.PNG
    8.7 KB · Views: 519

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Okay, I need to get one on one with you, but here is what I have and is my bench test. (photos)

The only thing I need to ask for is the same information back to confirm what I think is going on. We can discuss this in private email to each other, but I have a notion as to what is going on.

Back to you.

Are you able to make your Kenwood radios work with this Quantar configuration?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just curious what you think may be going on with RadioPilot's radio. Mine are set up for 2.5 & 12.5 and they are microwave linked via v.24. We never tried to use them as wide-band and they all work great, Kenwood included.

All of our Quantars were also aligned prior to deployment.

RK3AAG

Just curious what you think may be going on with RadioPilot's radio. Mine are set up for 2.5 & 12.5 and they are microwave linked via v.24. We never tried to use them as wide-band and they all work great, Kenwood included.
12.5 and 25 has nothing on P25! It's only about analog!

Here is where you set P25 moduilation in Quantar. Here WIDE PULSE means 3.0 kHz ±5% and NARROW PULSE 2.83 kHz ±5% of P25 CAI deviation.

In case of Kenwood, you must use NARROW. WIDE will not work. Because Kenwood don't have demodulator compatible with 3.0 kHz digital deviation.

DO NOT MIX IT UP WITH WIDEBAND/NARROWBAND AS MANY USERS ABOVE.

Attachments

• Quantar-Modulator.png
    Quantar-Modulator.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 623
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.