• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5800 Mic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4UVJ

Does 5000 series uses the standard KMC-35 or a different mic for the "dual microphone" noise canceling capabilities?

Thanks!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I'll check on that but I believe it's internal circuit for the noise cancelling, not where I can pull up the PowerPoint for that.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

KI4UVJ

Cool thanks! I've looked but haven't found anything specific. We recently bought two and were under the impression that they required a different mic.... But the dealer installed them with kmc-35's..

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Cool thanks! I've looked but haven't found anything specific. We recently bought two and were under the impression that they required a different mic.... But the dealer installed them with kmc-35's..

There's slot of audio things in the radio, so if you don't have software, there's slot you won't have access to to begin with.

Get warm and fuzzy with them, they may help you out. Otherwise, you could really mess it up if you don't know the right settings.

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

KI4UVJ

Ya, I understand that part of it. This is only a test for these radios as we currently have many NX300 and 800's in service which I take care of.

We have one 5300 which I know uses the KMC-54WDM which says that it has the dual mics for the noise cancellation features. Just was trying to clarify whether the 5800's use the 35 or a special mic for these features.

We do not have the software yet but will get it if we decide to keep the radios. The two 5800's are installed on motorcycles and want to test out the noise cancellation to see if it helps with the sound. My boss was told by our dealer that they required a different mic than the KMC-35's currently used on our 800's. But they installed the 35's, so I just want to make sure that they didn't skimp on the mics, or if we were misinformed.

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
KMC-35 is the standard microphone.

The only other shown option for mobile use is the KMC-36 which has the DTMF keypad.

The noise cancelling mics are available for the portables.

KI4UVJ

Hmm sounds like Kenwood is pushing a non operational feature in these. Sounds like our 5000's are going back then.. Unless someone can confirm the kmc-35's have dual mics for this feature..

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Hmm sounds like Kenwood is pushing a non operational feature in these. Sounds like our 5000's are going back then.. Unless someone can confirm the kmc-35's have dual mics for this feature..

Hand held mic on a motorcycle?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
non operational feature in these.

The 5300 is a portable, the 5800 is a mobile, why do you think they are pushing a 'non operational feature?

Nothing I have seen indicated there is noise cancelling mics available for the mobiles. Same for most other manufacturers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Not Kenwood, there is zero mention of noise cancellation hand mics for the NX-5700/5800/5900. More than likely your dealer is confused.

Anyway, for a motorcycle you'd be better off with a helmet mic if you are concerned about noise. Hand mics, even speaker mics on motorcycles always sound like crap.

Rather than sending them back, why don't you give them a try first.

KI4UVJ

The 5300 is a portable, the 5800 is a mobile, why do you think they are pushing a 'non operational feature?

Nothing I have seen indicated there is noise cancelling mics available for the mobiles. Same for most other manufacturers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right nothing about the mics and that's what I'm trying to get to

The noise canceling feature says it uses two mics, or leads me to believe in the informational brochure

NX-5700_5800 VHF/UHF Digital Transceiver P25(I&II)NXDN Multi-Digital & FM Analog Mobile Radios - NEXEDGE KENWOOD

"In addition to sophisticated sound analysis and optimization technologies, these radios feature Active Noise Cancelling based on leading-edge digital technology to offer clear communications even in very noisy environments"

right below that it talks about the dual mic setup. With a "main" mic and a "sub" mic.

Now the 5300 does have this as it specifically references this:

NX-5200_5300_5400 VHF/UHF/700-800MHz Digital Transceiver P25(I&II)NXDN Multi-Digital & FM Analog Portable Radios - NEXEDGE KENWOOD

Accessories

"KMC-54WD
SPEAKER MICROPHONE
 • 2-mic digital noise canceling via the radio’s DSP
 • 3.5mm-diameter earphone jack
 • Complies with MIL-STD 810C/D/E/F/G
 • IP65/67 Dust & Water*"

It leads me to believe that the 5800, showing the same feature, would have a different mic or if the KMC-35 supports this. If someone verifies and says "hey the sub mic is located on the front panel" or something that'd be fine. Just trying to get clarification is all.

I was hoping this would be an easy yes is does or no it doesn't question. I suppose I'll contact Kenwood directly or go back through the dealer.

Thanks

KI4UVJ

Not Kenwood, there is zero mention of noise cancellation hand mics for the NX-5700/5800/5900. More than likely your dealer is confused.

Anyway, for a motorcycle you'd be better off with a helmet mic if you are concerned about noise. Hand mics, even speaker mics on motorcycles always sound like crap.

Rather than sending them back, why don't you give them a try first.

Thanks for the info, we already use setcom interfaces for the motorcycles. The hand mics are installed as a secondary. Since these are the first two that needed new radios we were hoping to test the new features out (without using the setcom), to see if we would benefit from the newer radios and start replacing the 800's with these by attrition.

If you see my post above that is where the microphone question was raised.

I'll just contact Kenwood or the dealer directly.

Thanks!

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
The KMC-35 mic is the standard mic without noise canceling. The direct replacement mic that has active noise cancellation built in is the KMC-27B.

Reelfishguy

I did not think that the KMC27B microphone was noise canceling. I also did not think that Kenwood made a noise canceling microphone with the 8 pin plug. You can use the KMC27 noise canceling microphone which is used on the 90 series (has the round plug) and some P25 series and swap the cables for use with the radios that have the 8 pin plug.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
KMC-27 and KMC-27B are the same mics, just that they have different cables for different models. Inside you will find a board with a DSP chip and a second mic element that peeks out the little pin hole on the rear of the mic.

microx

Double-check the service manual for the KMC-27 Microphones. KMC-27 is noise canceling with the round plug. KMC-27A is noise-canceling with the 8-pin modular plug. KMC-27B also has the 8-pin modular plug, but doesn't have the noise-canceling feature. This is per Service manual B51-8473-00 for the KMC-27 & 28 microphones.

KI4UVJ

I just wanted to update this. Thanks for all the information provided here.

I was able to get with my dealer and was able contact Kenwood directly. After getting through about 4 people we got someone who actually knew what we were talking about. Kenwood said that the KMC-35 & 36 are the only officially supported microphones for these radios. When asked about the dual mic issue and the advertisement of this feature for the mobile radios, they basically dodged the question but said something to the effect that mobiles generally do not need the "enhanced" noise reducing that the portable radios generally require.

I asked about if they are going to produce a dual mic version for the mobiles but didn't get a real answer. Which they may not need an "enhanced" mic, but I'm not too happy with them right now, I have almost a hundred nx800's in service for possible upgrade and 750$ for each 5800, and I'd expect correct, easy to find information.

Status
Not open for further replies.