• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX220 Programming Cable/Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsc

I've installed the KPG-141DNK software and the USB driver discs. When i'm in the program and connect the radio to the laptop via programming cable - I either get wrong com port until i find the right COM port and then another error message appears "Check Model Name, Market Code and Display Type" I've powered on the handset so it says "Unprogram"

Is there another step i am missing here to be able to program the handset?

Thanks,

Adam

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They usually come from the factory with "Unprogrammed". So my question would be is it a NEW radio, or a used one that someone pushed the old programming into?

You need to make sure you have the right version of the KPG software for the firmware in the radio. If you are using the latest version of KPG-141, 4.80, released in February 2015, you should be OK. If it's an older version and the radio has the latest firmware, you could get errors.

Other issue can be if it's a after market cable or not. If it's the original Kenwood cable or a high quality after market one, you should be OK. If it's a cheap knock off, they can sometimes cause issues.

Can you post the -exact- model number of the radio?
What "market" are you in, in other words, which country? Is it the correct radio model and programming software for that radio?

adamsc

I do have version 4.62 instead of the 4.80 you mentioned. the model number is NX-220-k2-NXP. Everything is brand new and straight from Kenwood. The cables i've been using are kenwood direct cables as well. KPG-22u and KPG-46U. I'm in the US.

I will try the 4.80 version and see if that helps.

Thanks

adamsc

One more thing, How do I go about upgrading to 4.7 it seems. Every site I go to requires me to buy it. Shouldn't I be able to receive a free upgrade or do i have to go through the dealer for this?>

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
One more thing, How do I go about upgrading to 4.7 it seems. Every site I go to requires me to buy it. Shouldn't I be able to receive a free upgrade or do i have to go through the dealer for this?>

You can try calling Kenwood and see if they'll send you a copy. You will very likely need to supply the software key to them as proof of purchase. Kenwood was previously pretty lax on this stuff, but they seem to be clamping down.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The latest firmware for the NX-220 is version 4.75, and that says you would need KPG-141DN version 4.40 or newer, so you should be OK with the software you have.
Older firmware in the radio should talk to the latests KPG software.

Since those are the right programming cables, it could be a PC issue or a radio issue.

What version Windows are you running?

Make absolutely sure the the programming connector is seated all the way into the radio.
Make sure any other programs that might use the USB ports are shut down.
Make sure the USB cable is plugged directly into the computer, no USB hubs.
Make sure the radio battery is fully charged. Don't leave the radio in the charger while trying to program, although it should be OK.

Did you mean NX220K2-NKP? I can't find an NXP package.

The radio doesn't have the MPT firmware in it, does it? (options L-1726,L1728,L-1729?) If it does, you need to use KPG-143DNK.

adamsc

I got access to the NX220 finally. It turns out the radio I was trying was a NX200 version. When i tried the actual 220 model I didnt have the 2 pins pushed in deep enough as i thought I did and was finally able to read/write to it. I'll have to do an inventory check if i have more NX200 radios and why.

I am able to communicate with the NX700 base station. i went ahead and put it on freq 136 on both Tx/Rx.

I am trying to get it to work with my console position. So far I can Tx from the handheld to the console fine. but the Handheld can not Rx from the Console. I was told i needed to add or enable an audio routing table in either the NX700 or the NX220 but havent seen such settings.

Thanks for having me double check the actual radios and making sure the connection was secure or i'd still be digging around for software upgrades.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'm running 6 NX-900's connected to a Zetron radio console.

Sounds like you need to set up the connection using the DB-25 on the back of the radio:
Go to "Extended Function"
Open the "Aux" window and set up the appropriate pins for External PTT.
Also, you need to set up the connections under "Modulation line" as appropriate.

You'll also need to make sure you are connected to the audio input pins.

Let me know if that doesn't help.

adamsc

Just to update you:

I Programmed the pin-outs to play nice with the console (Avtec) and i have audio passing through from the console to the mobile. I have been trying to figure out how the base station and the console can talk to each other but it isn't necessarily a requirement for my project and was more of a curiosity thing. When I use the NX700 Mic audio is only routed to the handhelds and not the console. When i PTT from the console - audio is only routed to the handheld and not the NX700.

Thanks for all the help by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.