• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX300 audio tool and NXDN setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

epalacio

Hi, everyone! I´m trying to perform a radiocommunications link between a racing car and the crew member in boxes. Since we have successfully performed communications in analog mode, it´s my intention to try the NX300 in digital mode, and improve the audio quality with the Motorsportaudio v1.2 software provided by Kenwood. In a beginning I tried the digital mode as it is to perform the communication, but the background noise from the car engine did not allow the driver's voice to be appreciated. I modified some parameters in the NXDN 1 menu inside the Edit part on the KPG-111D and it also sounded impossible to understand what the driver was saying.

Anyone tried this radio for such application before? Or is it possible to get any tips on the configuration of the motorsport audio solution software or modifications in the NXDN1 menu inside the Edit section?

Thanks in advance!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood has some documentation on setting up the audio on these radios for NXDN use. It works pretty well when done right.

However, in a high noise environment, it's going to have issues. Any radio will.
What you really need is a headset for the driver with some noise reduction capability. It's still going to pick up engine noise, but it's going to help a bit.

epalacio

Hi Mmckenna! Thanks for the reply! attached with the software I received a pdf file with a possible or standar setup for the software. Unfortunately by using that config, it did not improve too much. Driver's voice signal is processed to the transmitting radio through an avionics noise cancelling microphone with great performance when transmitting in analog mode. Problem comes out when transmitting in digital. Voice cannot be discriminated from the background noise and the resulting audio received in boxes is just a metallic noise. We tested in the same environment Motorola DEP450 and they work pretty simmilar to what we expect but we still think the NX300 must make a difference. Unfortunately we are not able to find the proper combination.

Cheers!

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Take a lesson from Nascar and almost every other professional racing series. They have tried using NXDN, Idas and Trbo. It was extensively tested and they couldn't get it to work so analog is used. With the exception of the latest, greatest and very expensive P25 gear using digital in high noise environments is proving very challenging if not impossible.

I'm a racer also and we tried Trbo and like Nascar we could not get it to work. Nascar does use Trbo during practice and testing sessions in secure mode but the drivers do not use it while they are at speed or even when the engine is running. It just doesn't work.

Analog is the way to go for racing unless you have a lot of money for P25 radios.

ohiohonda

Not sure if it will help or not but you may try to change one section in the NXDN settings. Under the the edit section , NXDN1 ( if you are using the latest software V5.20) , General 2 tab. You could try adjusting the the Funtion Type and External Microphone Type. I would start with just selecting the Standard Function type which will grey out the External Microphone type. If that doesn't work try the Function type as Enhanced and select none for the external microphone type. This may not work but is worth a try.

epalacio

Take a lesson from Nascar and almost every other professional racing series. They have tried using NXDN, Idas and Trbo. It was extensively tested and they couldn't get it to work so analog is used. With the exception of the latest, greatest and very expensive P25 gear using digital in high noise environments is proving very challenging if not impossible.

I'm a racer also and we tried Trbo and like Nascar we could not get it to work. Nascar does use Trbo during practice and testing sessions in secure mode but the drivers do not use it while they are at speed or even when the engine is running. It just doesn't work.

Analog is the way to go for racing unless you have a lot of money for P25 radios.

Dear Skypilot007, it´s a pleasure to meet you. I appreciate your reply! On the other hand, as far as I now in my country analog communications is performed yet it´s not quite enough to place noise cancelling microphones in the driver´s helmet to perform a well background engine noise attenuation or cancellation. We tried DSP filters as well between the microphone and the radio with no remarkable differences. So well, your information about the communications performing has been acknowledged and I will keep it in mind in order to avoid further tests! :)

Thank you all for your kindness and good will in answering my inquiries!

Regards and cheers!

racingfan360

Take a lesson from Nascar and almost every other professional racing series. They have tried using NXDN, Idas and Trbo. It was extensively tested and they couldn't get it to work

Ummm....maybe that's the case in the US, but MRTC Motorsport provide more radios to race teams than anyone else globally, and their standard product is the NXx00 radio operating in NXDN Narrow or Very Narrow mode. The audio quality is excellent. Agree that MotoTRBO doesn't perform as well in such environments, and is generally avoided, but other race teams do still use it today.

Epalacio you might want to get in touch with them: MRTC - Motorsport Communications Home

The Autotel and Racecom NXDN solutions work equally well: Autotel Motorsports Communications About Us

epalacio

Dear Jhampton2000 it's a pleasure to meet you. I appreciate your reply! On the other hand, I know I tried to get in contact with both communications providers you stated before but I got no success in receiving an answer from them. I will keep trying to contact them. By the way, this weekend we intend to perform a new test on the field. If you find it useful I will post here the setup from the radio so you can see which was the best performance achieved, but yet I think will not be enough to remove the background noise from the voice.

I will keep you informed!

Status
Not open for further replies.