NXDN Details?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

I've been working on other projects for lately, but I am currently reworking Digital Frequency Search. NXDN is supposed to be available by the end of the year, so I assume it's going to be released very soon. I want to make sure my website is ready for it.

Does anyone know how the talkgroups and systems will be programmed? Will it be similar to P25 or more like DMR? Conventional or trunked?

Will true (i.e. following the control channel) trunking be supported? If so, how will we enter the frequency's channel assignment?

Will the radios display all of the over the air information?

There's a lot of pertinent NXDN out there to receive, so I'd like to help everyone prepare for their holiday scanning and safety.

I appreciate any insight offered. Have a good weekend.

Justin

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Wendy, could you help Aggie out with this? Since he provides an excellent source of programming, if you could provide details privately, the Digital Frequency Search website could be updated for NXDN with the Whistler release.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As good as that idea is, I doubt WW wants to tip Whistler's hand in this. After all, she has to consider what Uniden is or is not doing on this (as they are very tight lipped).

Heck I even asked which flavor of NXDN - IDAS or NEXEDGE- will be supported and the silence was deafening

Mike

racingfan360

As good as that idea is, I doubt WW wants to tip Whistler's hand in this. After all, she has to consider what Uniden is or is not doing on this (as they are very tight lipped).

While I don't disagree with the direction of this, at this late stage I struggle to see what Whistler has to lose......they've already announced NXDN will appear in the next 20 or so days. That's not much time for Uniden to play catch-up if there's a big delta between what Uniden have developed (if anything at all), and what Whistler will actually rollout. If Uniden are ahead, then they'll just try and p*ss on Whistlers announcement and announce their own upgrade at the same time, to return to the status quo.

Frankly I can't see Whistler immediately selling a lot more units in the first few days when NXDN appears to those folks who have already spent their hard earned dollars recently on a Uniden. But I would expect that dynamic to change the longer Uniden take to catch up or announce how they will respond. I could see a lot of commercial advantage - given the time of the year - in Whistler stating what NXDN capability it will rollout and capturing a few more sales for those desperate for a NXDN scanner.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone. To the best of my ability, I will treat all hardware and software scanner options equally. In fact, if there is a device or format I should support, please let me know.

With some experience monitoring NXDN systems using DSD+/FMP, I understand why agencies are using it. It works well, and I assume it's cheaper than other products. It really will be great to receive with a handheld.

Whistler's EZ Scan software is particularly oriented to allow import from outside sources. They have added additional import fields lately, which has made it even better. The biggest roadblock, currently, is that all trunked system details must be inputted manually. Otherwise, the Whistler scanners could be completely programmed from imported data.

I think it would be great if everyone could load all of the local NXDN into their radios just as soon after they install the new firmware and software. And, of course, this would be free to all users and also the scanner marketer.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Will conventional programming be similar to that of DMR? ie: the only real programming change would be setting mode for NXDN and setting squelch for RAN*TG

If you haven't already check digitalfrequencysearch.com to see how Aggie has DMR import setup for the Whistler scanners.

BTW Wendy, I'm like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for the release. I don't sleep anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.