NXDN Fine Tuning Help Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

racingfan360

Thanks, guys.

Paul, thanks for taking this forward.

I've added two entries: note both are from my own system (and are the same fro those that I reported against here https://forums.radioreference.com/u...ms-n9600-conventional-nxdn-4.html#post2909170). That also means I can easily reproduce and re-run tests if that helps, and run additional UHF tests too.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I note the last firmware release made a significant positive impact on DMR simplex decoding: to be blunt, it took DMR simplex decoding from atrocious to good in one firmware step. But it would be a real shame if that deteriorated as a compromise as part of a minor improvement on NXDN decoding

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I had all my settings for manual 5 when we did the DMR testing, I switched to auto 5 cuz it wasn't recognizing the nxdn systems, only problem I'm seeing is in the search for function for nxdn 9600. It has a harder time decoding that especially vhf nxdn 9600. In scanning systems it takes a minute for nx9 to show up, where the VHF nxdn4800 sites are instant , as well as the search for options.

Carbon / Emery Digital nxdn 4800 system is new they are switching over to it

Uintah Basin Electronic telecommunications is VHF nxdn9600 this one is not decoding instantly, it has to sit a while, doesn't show info very often in search for option,

Peak wireless systems nxdn9600 uhf decodes ok in scanning, but doesn't always show info in search for option

These are in Utah carbon county price area

I have them all set to Auto 5

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I had all my settings for manual 5 when we did the DMR testing, I switched to auto 5 cuz it wasn't recognizing the nxdn systems, only problem I'm seeing is in the search for function for nxdn 9600. It has a harder time decoding that especially vhf nxdn 9600. In scanning systems it takes a minute for nx9 to show up, where the VHF nxdn4800 sites are instant , as well as the search for options.

Carbon / Emery Digital nxdn 4800 system is new they are switching over to it

Uintah Basin Electronic telecommunications is VHF nxdn9600 this one is not decoding instantly, it has to sit a while, doesn't show info very often in search for option,

Peak wireless systems nxdn9600 uhf decodes ok in scanning, but doesn't always show info in search for option

These are in Utah carbon county price area

I have them all set to Auto 5

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9163

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9675
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=9162

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Did you perform the threshold check per the spreadsheet? I don't see any entries from you. It is very unlikely that MAN 5 is the best setting for any NXDN system.

ScanRite

Premium Subscriber
Did you perform the threshold check per the spreadsheet? I don't see any entries from you. It is very unlikely that MAN 5 is the best setting for any NXDN system.

In my testing, MAN 5 resulted in no reception at all. Like there wasn't even a signal.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Curious as to what system(s) you are planning on monitoring here?

I've been playing with the Warner system that claims to be for Barnes Hospitals but it is a hard one. Many of the unknown frequencies are in the UHF paging band so you can't search on the FCC site.

I've been trying to nail down the west county Barnes hospital that they are adding on to right now. It's on Olive a mile or two west of I-270.

The site called site 4 listed as in Oakville sure gives a strong signal here just a mile from the west county hospital so it could be listed in the DB in error. The sites antennas are still on the original buildings roof so barely above one floor.

I'm finding my Manual decode thresholds seem to favor manual levels of 10 or 11 for NXDN sites so far. Once I get a solid NXDN site programmed fully, I'll submit that to Paul's spreadsheet.
I can't really use the Barne's sites in the city as they are not really in range. I don't think the decode levels would be accurate for what Paul is after although all the weak signal NXDN systems I can hear are also decoding with the least errors when using a manual setting of 10 or 11.

NXDN seems opposite of the P25 sites which almost always like a manual level of 6. NXDN seems to favor the higher end of the setting range.
That seems to go with the three people that added data to the spreadsheet. I think they all listed a level of 10.

Right now I am finding the LCN's for St Louis University Campus #1. I got them for Campus #2. Then I will add my numbers to the spreadsheet. I'm getting a great signal from the Tower Grove Park area here in the city.

Once I figure out that system, I will program in Barnes-Jewish and the other NXDN systems that are listed in the Missouri Trunking page.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber

I haven't if your talking to me, I set it to auto 5 when I couldn't get anything. When I get time I will try to figure out the spreadsheet.. My nxdn 9600 systems are the problem mostly the VHF system, I will look at the spreadsheet and see what I can add to it if u still need it

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I haven't if your talking to me, I set it to auto 5 when I couldn't get anything. When I get time I will try to figure out the spreadsheet.. My nxdn 9600 systems are the problem mostly the VHF system, I will look at the spreadsheet and see what I can add to it if u still need it

Do you also need debug info as well for these systems? Remind me how to set that up if u do

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
We're good, thanks. Was implemented in 1.15.00, which we will reissue once the squelch gremlin is exterminated.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I already installed 1.15.00 and I've only noticed it in my 536 which is connected to an outside antenna, my 436 hasn't done it yet.. Meaning the squelch problem

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Checking the vhf nxdn 9600 system, I do get it to decode better on search for custom, but mostly when it's the portable antenna, when switching to the outdoor antenna on my house , it's a stinger signal but has a harder time immediately decoding it as fast. It's not as instant

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
We're good, thanks. Was implemented in 1.15.00, which we will reissue once the squelch gremlin is exterminated.

Are you finding this to be isolated to the 436? I've been running a 536 on all systems and that gremlin hasn't reared his ugly head...lol!

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Are you finding this to be isolated to the 436? I've been running a 536 on all systems and that gremlin hasn't reared his ugly head...lol!

Mine is the reverse, although my 536 is on an outdoor antenna and the 436 isn't at the moment, but can be.. The squelch problem anyway,

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Mine is the reverse, although my 536 is on an outdoor antenna and the 436 isn't at the moment, but can be.. The squelch problem anyway,

My 536 is also on an outdoor antenna and 436 isn't either. As long as we can always go back to 1.14.00, I'm content with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.