NXDN Ham Repeater List

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelton

I would thank the naysayers that think ham radio is only for old men talking on their 40 year old 2m hand held to not respond with negative or criticism remarks.

With that out of the way.

There are a growing number of ham repeaters nation wide that can support mix mode NXDN or are running full time NXDN digital.

P25 and D-Star repeaters each have their own sticky, so maybe a thread with a long list of NXDN repeaters could get a sticky also.

If you know of a club that has a mix mode NXDN repeater on a ham radio frequency, please post it for the benefit of those of us that use the Icom IDAS or Kenwood NEXEDGE format.

Steven KC9GMX

stevelton

Here are some that I know of, but If someone had more details on each of these could post more specifics.

Monticello, IL 442.725 + PL 103.5 Analog/ RAN 1 Digital. Repeater is an Icom FR6000.

Taunton, MA 145.280 - RAN 1 Digital
Swansea, MA 145.320 - RAN 1 Digital
Plymouth, MA 147.315 + Unknown PL for Analog/ RAN 1 Digital

Tampa Bay, FL area 442.550 + Unknown PL for Analog/ Unknown RAN for Digital
West Pasco, FL 442.7625 + Unknown PL for Analog/ Unknown RAN for Digital

Steven

stevelton

To repost with a copy & paste information from another thread:

"I have a two Kenwood NXDN repeaters on the air for a while. 145.2700- and 440.6250+, both using 6.25 kHz NXDN requiring RAN 13. They are in EM00th, near Johnson City, TX. Anyone in the area is welcome to try them. You can usually hit them from the higher locations in Austin."

Steven

kr4k

Premium Subscriber
NXDN Central TX

As Steven said, I am the custodian:
KR4K EM00th Near Johnson City, TX
145.270- NXDN 6.25 kHz RAN 13 Kenwood NXR-710
440.625+ NXDN 6.25 kHz RAN 13 Kenwood NXR-810
Current work:
1. Interconnecting 145.270 with Codan NGT-SR HF radio using Codan 3031 Crosspatch
2. Interconnecting VHF/UHF via IP
3. Adding NXR-700 146.960 in Austin

Attachments

• kr4k_VHF_JC_145.27_covMap_20100906.jpg
    kr4k_VHF_JC_145.27_covMap_20100906.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 6,168

n1das

145.130(-), Norwich VT, iCOM iDAS, mixed analog / NXDN 6.25kHz mode.
Analog PL: 100.0Hz
iDAS (NXDN) RAN: 12
Callsign: N1CIV/R

We chose RAN 12 for 6.25 iDAS because of analog PL100.0 being tone #12 in the standard 38 CTCSS tone list. It makes it easy to remember both.

stevelton

I applaud the efforts of hams in the new england area who are helping develop the use of NXDN for ham radio. I made a trip out to Eastern Mass this past summer and spoke with a group of hams in Taunton, and they were very helpful.
I cant wait until our repeater owner here buys the new FR6000, because all we can do right now is simplex.

Steven

k1iff

Icom vs Kenwood NXDN

Yes, NXDN is NXDN (like USB is USB), and is interoperable between Icom and Kenwood as long as the mode (8K-narrow, 4K-very narrow) is the same.

All four of the current NXDN users on my repeaters (NXR-810s) are using Kenwood radios. I would love to have someone with an Icom radio come onboard and give it a try.

73 Cliff

n1das

I see that one of the repeaters you listed on QRZ is digital in the 8K00F1E mode. I have not been able to play with both Icom and Kenwoods together, but will an Icom be able to use the repeater?

Steven

8K00F1E I believe is the emission designator for 12.5kHz NXDN, which would mean it's a Kenwood NEXEDGE repeater. If I'm correct, the Icom will not be able to work on this repeater in digital mode.

8K00F1E --> Kenwood NEXEDGE in 12.5kHz mode. Icom will not work on this.
4K00F1E --> Icom iDAS (6.25kHz) or Kenwood NEXEDGE in 6.25kHz mode. Icom and Kenwood will work together in 6.25k digital mode.

k1iff

Sounds like we need to build an interoperability matrix. I thought NXDN was NXDN, both 8K and 4K. I guess I was wrong.

n1das

We chose RAN 12 for 6.25 iDAS because of analog PL100.0 being tone #12 in the standard 38 CTCSS tone list. It makes it easy to remember both.

Here's a suggestion to aid in choosing RANs: Choose a RAN number that corresponds to the PL tone the repeater would have if it supports mixed mode operation or if the repeater is replacing an existing analog-only repeater. Select a RAN from 1 thru 38 to correspond to the standard 38 CTCSS tone list. For example, PL100.0 is tone #12 in the 38 tone list, so select RAN 12 for digital mode. Save RANs 39-56 for other uses.

I'm planning to convert a 440 repeater of mine to iDAS digital within the next year or so. It all comes down to when I decide to spend money for the repeater. The iDAS repeater will support mixed analog / digital mode operation. The (analog only) repeater in operation today is currently using PL141.3 and I plan to keep that tone for analog operation on the new iDAS repeater. The RAN for digital operation on the new repeater will be 22 because it corresponds to PL141.3 being tone #22 in the standard 38 CTCSS tone list.

stevelton

I like the logic behind choosing a RAN, but that wont work for the few analog repeaters using DCS.

My biggest concern was the unit ID numbers. The club north of us started assigning their numbers from 1, our local group started at 100. If someone just happens to be driving through the area, and jumps in on the repeater, and they have their radio set to the same unit ID as one of our local guys, it could at first cause a little confusion. I dont see that happening alot, but the chance is still there.

One fix for that is to have the radio set its own Unit ID based on the radios serial number, but that might be hard for a local repeater administrator keep track of, and keep their radios up to date.

I have one of my programmed SDM set to my call sign, that way I can send it, and anyone can read it.
Steven

stevelton

Ok, here is a list that I have compilied. If you have a correction, post it here, and I will update it on my end. I also have this available in Excel if someone wants that.
Seems NXDN is more of an east coast thing
Steven

Attachments

• NXDN Repeater List.pdf
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,097

k1iff

8K00F1E I believe is the emission designator for 12.5kHz NXDN, which would mean it's a Kenwood NEXEDGE repeater. If I'm correct, the Icom will not be able to work on this repeater in digital mode.

8K00F1E --> Kenwood NEXEDGE in 12.5kHz mode. Icom will not work on this.
4K00F1E --> Icom iDAS (6.25kHz) or Kenwood NEXEDGE in 6.25kHz mode. Icom and Kenwood will work together in 6.25k digital mode.

I've only been using Kenwood stuff, so I don't much about the Icom product line. Thanks for this clarification Dave. I just now noticed that the FR6000 does not do 8K. Do you know why did they chose to skip over 8K and go directly to 4K? I must be missing something here.

n1das

Ok, here is a list that I have compilied. If you have a correction, post it here, and I will update it on my end. I also have this available in Excel if someone wants that.
Seems NXDN is more of an east coast thing
Steven

Nice list. For the NXDN listings I was thinking it might be better to list 12.5k or 6.25k instead of 8k and 4k in the Mode column. It would make it easier for those who aren't familar with the emission designator for each. The channel spacing is 12.5kHz or 6.25kHz and the occupied bandwidths for each are 8kHz and 4kHz respectively. Most people familiar with NXDN will simply refer to the mode as 12.5k or 6.25k.

I look forward to being able to add my 440 repeater to the list when I eventually replace the (analog only) repeater with an iDAS repeater.

Last edited:

stevelton

Nice list. For the NXDN listings I was thinking it might be better to list 12.5k or 6.25k instead of 8k and 4k in the Mode column. It would make it easier for those who aren't familar with the emission designator for each. The channel spacing is 12.5kHz or 6.25kHz and the occupied bandwidths for each are 8kHz and 4kHz respectively. Most people familiar with NXDN will simply refer to the mode as 12.5k or 6.25k.

I look forward to being able to add my 440 repeater to the list when I eventually replace the (analog only) repeater with an iDAS repeater.

Same here. I was talking to our repeater owner on digital simplex today, and discussing how and when the purchase should be made.

I will change the list to reflect your suggestion. Instead of posting a new list everytime it gets updated, would there be a problem or conflict with me uploading the PDF to my business website, then everytime I update it, I can put the date on there, and anyone can see if they have the lastest list.
Steven

k1iff

I'll be changing my Hartford repeater to 6.25, probably today, or whenever I can get to the site.

I have not seen any specs on the MA NXDN repeaters - whether they are 6.25 or 12.5. The NERD listing for my repeaters delineates 6.25 for the mode, with 12.5 simply saying 'NXDN'. If I recall, that's how the Swansea, Taunton, etc. repeater are listed, which seems to indicate they're 12.5. Just not sure.

Cliff k1iff

Status
Not open for further replies.