• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NXDN ID and Optional Signaling Unmute Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapaq2

I am working with the "NXDN ID" and "RAN and Optional Signalling" features on the Kenwood NX series radios and am having some audio (un)muting issues. The speaker is not producing sound even though I see the green busy LED lite up and signal strenght meter move. I have found a way to get the speaker to unmute but it involves enabling a feature called "Selcall on PTT (NXDN)" which does individual or group calling whenever pressing the PTT button, but I do not want to do group or individual calling with the push of the ptt button. I have matching RAN codes and each radio is in the Unit ID list on both radios.

From what I have read so far in the help files it has something to do with the receiving radio not receiving a matching NXDN ID or something to that effect. The exact wording from the help files is as follows "NXDN ID Enables the Optional Signaling and the transceiver will wait for an NXDN ID. While the transceiver waits for an NXDN ID for Optional Signaling, the transceiver mutes and no audio sounds from the speaker. If the received NXDN ID matches the NXDN ID preconfigured for the transceiver, the received audio signals will sound from the transceiver speaker."

It says NXDN ID is 'preconfigured' for the transceiver, but where is it 'preconfigured'?

Anyone know what I am doing wrong here and why the speaker doesnt unmute?

Doug

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
This sounds like something I've been dealing with recently. I want the radio to operate in normal group mode via PTT but have the ability to Individual call a radio (via Menu) and have all other radios on the channel ignore it. Evidently that's not possible with the most current firmware (2.57). I've been talking with Kenwood about it and am waiting to hear back whether it is possible or not. To me it seems like a software problem since the radio operates like it should with UID on display but doesn't unmute.

There's a work-around but it's kind of a hassle. Otherwise it's one or the other but not both unless you use the menu system to make the group or individual call.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I assume preconfigured means you have set up an ID list for all the radios, nothing that is a default in FPU.

Do you get the selcall beep on the RX radio and just no audio, or nothing at all? Does the TX radio ID show on the RX radio display?

I just prog'd my two for selcall and worked great. Set "RAN+ opt sig", also "RAN and opt sig", built an ID list to include both radios plus some dummy IDs, set a button to pick selcall ID and I was off and running. My portable is V2.53 and the mobile is V2.54.

Don't know what to tell you, double check RAN, ID lists etc. You wouldn't have different bandwidths on the would you?

dapaq2

I assume preconfigured means you have set up an ID list for all the radios, nothing that is a default in FPU.

I thought that too but the only place i see a list to enter id numbers is actually for Individual Calling and Caller ID functionality. Also I dont beleive that those lists are required for normal transmitting (non group calling). But either way I do have the radio id in the list on the receiving and transmitting radio.

Do you get the selcall beep on the RX radio and just no audio, or nothing at all? Does the TX radio ID show on the RX radio display?

I do not get a beep or tone when trying to make a normal transmission, all I see if the green busy led light up and the signal strenghth meter go full signal and the speaker muted. I do get a beep or tone when I use the Group/Ind Calling Feature on PTT, or the normal Group or Individual calling feature.

I just prog'd my two for selcall and worked great. Set "RAN+ opt sig", also "RAN and opt sig", built an ID list to include both radios plus some dummy IDs, set a button to pick selcall ID and I was off and running. My portable is V2.53 and the mobile is V2.54.

Yes, I would definetly be interested in seeing your .dat file so i can compare them.

Don't know what to tell you, double check RAN, ID lists etc. You wouldn't have different bandwidths on the would you?

I have double, tripple, and quadruple checked everything, I cannot find anything that would be the cause of this and dont know where to go from here. Both radios are the same band and bandwidth.

Personally I am begining to seriously think the problem is the same as what Wayne H has said. A Firmware/Software/Programming issue straight from Kenwood and not something that I have done.

Doug

kg4uad

Is there a bonified audio that your NX is not umuting for? Or are you kerchuncking a repeater in which case the led will light green and signal meter will be active but because there is not voice to pass the radio stays muted.

kg4uad

dapaq2

LOL... Please don't try to insult my intellegence. I am very surprised you would even assume and begin to ask me that question. I am not yelling or pissed off so please do no misinterpret my reply, Just shocked and very unexpected.

I am actually doing this simplex 'radio to radio' and there is no repeater involved. Also if i was doing this through a repeater I am smart enough to hold the PTT button down longer than just a 'kerchunk' period of time and actually talk into the mic to rule that issue out of the equation. I do the same thing in simplex too, holding the PTT button down continously while talking into the mic for several words long. Plenty of time to accurately asess if there is any audio comming out of the speaker. I understand what your thinking but no that is not what i am doing and is not the possible cause.

Doug

kg4uad

Im certainly not trying to insult you im trying to help you, as i dont know your technical prowness with programming kenwood digital radios i logically look to the simple explainations before jumping to firmware issues. If i were you id start from scratch, no id's, no RAN's, no mixed modes and separate the radios 10-20 feet for testing.

If i were asking for help on a radio issue in this forum it would be because i had exhausted every other idea i could come up with. Having only my viewpoint to the problem i would expect and openly welcome the wide array of feedback a forum provides to help me solve a problem. Perhaps in the future you should check all of you grounds before reading post replies.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
If i were you id start from scratch, no id's, no RAN's, no mixed modes and separate the radios 10-20 feet for testing.
I would really like to know how you don't set a RAN or ID when using NXDN mode.

The issue affecting the OP (and myself) is a bug in the NXDN firmware. Kenwood has acknowledged it.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
OK, busy week but I've now had a chance to play a little and here's what I've been able to do.

With a blank slate I set a mobile and a portable for selective call, individual call with several IDs. Works as advertised. You select an ID from the menu and transmit only to that ID, all other radios stay muted and do not show anything but a busy light and signal strength. Both radios have the same individual ID list. My only gripe is you have to manually exit an individual call if you initiated it, no timer to set to dump you out. Caller ID shows who is calling you.

Next I added a group (100) and put that in both radios, set a button for group call an confirmed that it worked. You could transmit a group call to any radio with that group in its list regardless of the ID of the receiving radio. The display would show "Group ID XXX" or something like that. Now in Wayne's case, I can see where this is clumsy. You would have to exit an individual call then make sure you select group call again to get back to calling all radios.

So now I set block encode (under NXDN) to 100-100 and in channel edit set Sel Call on PTT to group and group number to 1 (the only one I had). Worked good. Transmit to all radios in group 100 without having to select that group from a menu. When an individual call was used, the Sel Call on PTT was defeated and the individual call went out as expected.

I'm not sure why you guys are struggling, but I have had success with minimal setup. If I can answer anything specific, let me know. Again my portable is V2.53 and mobile is V2.54. Maybe there IS a bug in V2.57 and you'll have to wait for the next release, which is about every month seems like.

Status
Not open for further replies.