NXDN in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamecockSJ

Since the Uniden 436/536 scanners have an NXDN option now I thought I'd create a thread similar to the DMR one. Haven't made the upgrade purchase yet myself. Anyone know of any active NXDN systems in NC?

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Guys,
I’m new to NXDN and have a question. I monitor S.C. Fleetnet on 463.9 (Brunswick County site). I receive the RAN (15), SYS: 219, Site 15 info on my 536 screen. Is it possible to have a signal threshold be just enough to provide that data but not be strong enough to decode?
Additionally, am I wrong in thinking I should program that as a OFT as opposed to Conventional?
Thank you.

troymail

Silent Key
Guys,
I’m new to NXDN and have a question. I monitor S.C. Fleetnet on 463.9 (Brunswick County site). I receive the RAN (15), SYS: 219, Site 15 info on my 536 screen. Is it possible to have a signal threshold be just enough to provide that data but not be strong enough to decode?
Additionally, am I wrong in thinking I should program that as a OFT as opposed to Conventional?
Thank you.

Like DMR, NXDN control/data just "hangs" on the Uniden if/when you program a frequency as conventional or find it in a custom search. On a related note, Whistler's are smart enough to know there isn't any voice and just keep scanning.

I don't know for sure if programming it as a One Frequency will work (probably) but in reality, although there is only one frequency posted/known for the Supply site, it is really part of a trunk system.

FWIW - there is more NXDN in Wilmington - UNCW has a trunk system.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Troymail. Yes, I was aware of the UNCW NXDN and it was one of the reasons I purchased my DV1, only to discover the DV1 doesn’t “do” 9600. Now that I have the NDXN capable 536 I will give their maintence xmissions a shot.
I’m going to try to enter all of the Fleetnet frequencies manually as a trucked system and see how that goes.
John

AlphaFive

Nxdn k.a.v.l.

I'm going to attempt to add something here... With the trunked NXDN on Uniden, there comes the need to use the LCN Finder. It is not perfect, due to systems not being heavily used at times. I will throw this out, maybe someone will have more to add; Reference the Asheville Airport (K.A.V.L.), License WQPP490, six frequencies total. I have run the LCN finder for a few days. The end result is always the same, 2 hits for frequencies used.

155.0325 LCN 2
155.8350 LCN 3
Can't pick up anymore.. lets add some LCN's to this state....

troymail

Silent Key
Thank you Troymail. Yes, I was aware of the UNCW NXDN and it was one of the reasons I purchased my DV1, only to discover the DV1 doesn’t “do” 9600. Now that I have the NDXN capable 536 I will give their maintence xmissions a shot.
I’m going to try to enter all of the Fleetnet frequencies manually as a trucked system and see how that goes.
John

Back home from a trip -- the NXDN stuff in Brunswick - what little there is - seems strangely quiet today -- I haven't heard a peep.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Here’s what I’ve discovered so far with the fleet Talk NXDN in the triad area. All show a system ID of 219:

463.4875 Site 4 RAN 4
451.950 Site 8 RAN 8
451.3625 Site 9 RAN 9
462.1375 Site 10 RAN 10
464.8875 Site 11 RAN 11
461.4375 Site 12 RAN 12
464.775 site 22. RAN 22

Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks to properly track these. I’ve still yet to figure out how use DSD so my 436/536 will have to do for now.

troymail

Silent Key
Well, I finally got hits on the SC Fleettalk (Supply site) overnight.

The TRX-1 recorded them and there were a few that were at least 7-8 seconds long.

The 436 captured nothing.

I have "system" programmed into the 436 two different ways - once as a NXDN One Frequency system and the other as a NXDN trunk system.

EDIT: Even in OFT mode, I see the 436 "hanging" on the system for extended periods with no activity.... the display is showing NX4 most times and occasionally NX0 (?)

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Finally got some hits of Brunswick Transit this morning on both the 436 and the TRX... The 436 still isn't receiving the light amount of SC Fleettalk activity -- hopefully there will be more activity today so I can try and determine why...

troymail

Silent Key
I reprogrammed the Brunswick Transit frequency (452.75000) again - directly on the radio as a NXDN One Frequency - with the radio running in "ID Search" mode. I left all of the attributes like RAN, etc. as default. As I do most times, I created a "dummy" talkgroup of 999 just to populate a department.

I see the 436 stopping ("hanging") on "TGID 1" on a fairly regular basis but there is no voice. Not sure what it is stopping on because the TRX isn't stopping on anything (or even displaying a break of squelch) at those times...

Clearly this is a very early version of NXDN - just like what Uniden did with DMR...

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I reprogrammed the Brunswick Transit frequency (452.75000) again - directly on the radio as a NXDN One Frequency

Why are you programming it as NXDN OFT? It's in the DB as a conventional NXDN. All you have to do is add it as a conventional channel on the 436.

1. Add conventional frequency: 452.75
2. Edit that conventional frequency's characteristics -- specifically:

Set Audio Type: Digital Only --> Set NEXEDGE RAN: 30

RAN (and LCN on trunked) should never be left default. The Unidens require said information.

Mike

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Well, I finally got hits on the SC Fleettalk (Supply site) overnight.

The TRX-1 recorded them and there were a few that were at least 7-8 seconds long.

The 436 captured nothing.

I have "system" programmed into the 436 two different ways - once as a NXDN One Frequency system and the other as a NXDN trunk system.

EDIT: Even in OFT mode, I see the 436 "hanging" on the system for extended periods with no activity.... the display is showing NX4 most times and occasionally NX0 (?)

For Unidens:

• New System
  • NXDN Trunk
  • Edit Sys Options --> ID Search: ON
  • Edit Site --> New Site --> Set Frequencies
  • New Frequency: 463.900 , Input LCN: 713 ; Set RAN/Area: 15

Never leave RAN / LCN as default. If you didn't know the RAN / LCN, set the RAN to "Search" and then run LCN Finder on the system to allow the scanner to find the LCN. Once it finds the LCN, back out and save the found LCN(s) to the system. In this case, assuming RAN 15 and LCN 713 in the DB are correct, there is no need for running LCN Finder.

Mike

troymail

Silent Key
Why are you programming it as NXDN OFT? It's in the DB as a conventional NXDN. All you have to do is add it as a conventional channel on the 436.

1. Add conventional frequency: 452.75
2. Edit that conventional frequency's characteristics -- specifically:

Set Audio Type: Digital Only --> Set NEXEDGE RAN: 30

RAN (and LCN on trunked) should never be left default. The Unidens require said information.

Mike

I was basing the programming (to some degree) on the way Uniden handles conventional DMR... obviously, this isn't DMR and is different.

I've now configured as you stated above -- I see in conventional mode that they did not provide an option for RAN search which is what I would expect the default to be.

Watching now for activity.

troymail

Silent Key
For Unidens:

• New System
  • NXDN Trunk
  • Edit Sys Options --> ID Search: ON
  • Edit Site --> New Site --> Set Frequencies
  • New Frequency: 463.900 , Input LCN: 713 ; Set RAN/Area: 15

Never leave RAN / LCN as default. If you didn't know the RAN / LCN, set the RAN to "Search" and then run LCN Finder on the system to allow the scanner to find the LCN. Once it finds the LCN, back out and save the found LCN(s) to the system. In this case, assuming RAN 15 and LCN 713 in the DB are correct, there is no need for running LCN Finder.

Mike

Ok - heard 1-2 calls on SC Fleettalk on the 436 but it missed like 2-3 others in the same group of calls heard on the TRX.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I was basing the programming (to some degree) on the way Uniden handles conventional DMR... obviously, this isn't DMR and is different.

I've now configured as you stated above -- I see in conventional mode that they did not provide an option for RAN search which is what I would expect the default to be.

Watching now for activity.

On trunked DMR and trunked NXDN Type-C systems (where there is a control channel present), you absolutely have to have those types of details filled in on a Uniden. This is specifically because the Uniden's actually do use/rely upon the control channel for trunking. And, since there are not default bandplans for DMR / NXDN like there are for P25 / Moto Type II, anything monitoring the control channel only knows about LCNs. You have to have the frequency<-->LCN pairing in place so that when the CC tells the scanner to switch to LCN 453, the scanner knows to switch to VC frequency 123.4567.

The reason why you can get away without adding a lot of this on the Whistlers is because they aren't relying upon the control channel for trunking and are simply scanning / checking every frequency programmed into a given site during every scan pass in order to see if there is activity.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear to have to know / add that information, but in the end it really should perform 100%. I'm hoping it does for you.

Mike

troymail

Silent Key
On trunked DMR and trunked NXDN Type-C systems (where there is a control channel present), you absolutely have to have those types of details filled in on a Uniden. This is specifically because the Uniden's actually do use/rely upon the control channel for trunking. And, since there are not default bandplans for DMR / NXDN like there are for P25 / Moto Type II, anything monitoring the control channel only knows about LCNs. You have to have the frequency<-->LCN pairing in place so that when the CC tells the scanner to switch to LCN 453, the scanner knows to switch to VC frequency 123.4567.

The reason why you can get away without adding a lot of this on the Whistlers is because they aren't relying upon the control channel for trunking and are simply scanning / checking every frequency programmed into a given site during every scan pass in order to see if there is activity.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear to have to know / add that information, but in the end it really should perform 100%. I'm hoping it does for you.

Mike
I get the LCN issue -- I'll be dealing with that on a short drive tomorrow (probably) on a nearby county system where the LCNs are all still 0 in the database.

Some progress being seen - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.