NXDN Monitoring in Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
As many of you know, Whistler upgraded the TRX-1 and 2 this morning to monitor NXDN systems. There seems to be only one NXDN system here in the south bay: Empire Communications. The system was downloaded from the RR database and I am receiving bars on the signal meter, however I have not heard a peep. My question is is this just a quiet site or should I have heard some activity within a few hours? For technical support I'll go to the Whistler forum, but for now I just want to know if this Empire system is active at all. Thanks.
I just read on the Whistler forum that there was an error in the download.

Last edited:

kma371

QRT
Looks like you just need to correct the RAN values in the scanner. The ones listed in the DB are correct. The scanner just imports them incorrectly.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I saw that after I made my post, made the correction on a few sites, and then picked up a tow truck driver yacking away. I'll update the DB with various TGIDs when I get 'em. Thanks for the info.

kma371

QRT
The bay area also has the signature wireless NXDN system. I don't know if that scanner can receive that one. We need info on that system too

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
From what I've read, it won't decode the Icom IDES version. However, there is a NEXEDGE system (the Radio Guys) listed in CoCo County and I'll see if I can hear it here in Fremont.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Silke Communications has an NXDN system you could try. They have UHF coverage in the bay area.

If you are ever in the Santa Cruz area, you could try my trunked system at UCSC. I understand the scanner won't do trunked NXDN (yet...) but you should be able to hear some of the traffic. Not all the talk groups are encrypted.

I'd like to hear how well it works. While I really don't need a scanner, my curiosity might get the best of me.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
The bay area also has the signature wireless NXDN system. I don't know if that scanner can receive that one. We need info on that system too

Whistler EZscan software won't let you download the ICOM systems, but I manually loaded the Signature system into EZscan and it seems to work fine. So, the TRX-1 and 2 will monitor both NXDN systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.