NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIOJAGUAR

I see that UPRR (WNBV267) and KCSRR (WPRJ834) have requested licenses utilizing NXDN in Louisiana, I guess this is in preparation for switching over. Anyone have an idea regarding when this could occur? Thanks.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Doubt any major switchover on the mainline will happen anytime soon...That's the short version.

Regards,

-Frank C.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Most railroads are modifying their licenses to add NXDN to them. Some are also adding NXDN capabilities to base, mobile and portable radios. With that said, the majority of rail operations are remaining on analog for the next few years at least.

While there are many scattered implementations of NXDN in yards and other insular situations the adoption for NXDN for Road operations is a ways away. Once PTC is completed then they will start looking at NXDN for road operations.

It could be several years before NXDN takes over for the majority of traffic railfans are interested in (Road operations).

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Class 1 railroads have literally hundreds of thousands of radios. They have been deploying and programming NXDN gear for over ten years. The switch has not happened overnight, and will not happen overnight.

Nasby

I see that UPRR (WNBV267) and KCSRR (WPRJ834) have requested licenses utilizing NXDN in Louisiana, I guess this is in preparation for switching over. Anyone have an idea regarding when this could occur? Thanks.

Years away...at best.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
No, not years away for side facilities, or some ops in yards etc. NXDN has begun popping up in use at several yards, and side track facilities that use rail. Mainline yes it will be a few more years. Lets stop with the nay say as it is in use in some locations. If your going to say not for many years, best say it the right way, NOT for many years ON MAINLINE RR OPS! There is even currently an facility here in IN using NXDN that is on an live feed on Broadcastify.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
No, not years away for side facilities, or some ops in yards etc. NXDN has begun popping up in use at several yards, and side track facilities that use rail. Mainline yes it will be a few more years. Lets stop with the nay say as it is in use in some locations. If your going to say not for many years, best say it the right way, NOT for many years ON MAINLINE RR OPS! There is even currently an facility here in IN using NXDN that is on an live feed on Broadcastify.
Now you're just being pedantic.

In general terms, widespread use of NXDN is years away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
The switch has not happened overnight, and will not happen overnight.

If it ever happens at this point. With the expected requirement to transition to 6.25kHz bandwidth now not happening in the AAR band, there may not be a widespread main line implementation. The only reason NXDN/IDAS was ever planned for was to accommodate the switch to 6.25kHz which was supposed to happen this year per the original 2007 plan. The capability will be there though.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Probably because NXDN does true 6.25KHz channels. DMR does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it was more of a snub of Motorola after Motorola snubbed the AAR by refusing to continue making a clean cab radio after the clean cab Spectra.

In other words, politics.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I think it was more of a snub of Motorola after Motorola snubbed the AAR by refusing to continue making a clean cab radio after the clean cab Spectra.

In other words, politics.

Fair enough. Can’t blame them for that at all.

brushfire21

Feed Provider
There could be some (a lot) of truth to the Motorola snubbing. However In an environment that doesn’t need or require multiple simultaneous talk paths on the same channel, yet needs more channels/frequencies, NXDN makes some sense.

Having both NXDN/DMR repeaters, they both have positives and negatives depending on the environment/use and I lean toward NXDN for simplicity sakes but it’s the Betamax of the 80’s I must admit.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
DMR and NXDN both do 6.25KHz...

Regards,

-Frank C.

Wrong. Try licensing a 6.25KHz channel for 7K60FXE.

DMR is 6.25KHz ‘equivalent’, meaning it technically meets the requirement of 4800bps per 6.25KHz but it is not 6.25KHz compliant because you’re transmission is occupying 12.5KHz.

Last edited:

CM1

Premium Subscriber
Now I wasn't exactly sure where to post this (so feel free to move this) but since you are all discussing NXDN...I thought someone here might be able to help if I wanted to can I buy a NXDX (handheld) radio (recommendations welcomed) and get it programmed for AAR307-AAR488 just for monitoring?

N9JIG

Sheriff
There are 4 NXDN capable scanners available right now:

Whistler TRX-1 & TRX-2 (includes NXDN after a free firmware update).

Uniden BCD436HP/BCD546HP (plus $30 NXDN update, this will increase to $60 sometime soon).

They are roughly the same price, give or take a few dollars.

You could also get an VHF NXDN two-way and program it for RX only. It might be cheaper but programming issues might make it worth getting the scanner.

Voyager

If you have any simulcast systems, I would wait for the SDS100. Otherwise any of the current generation models would work. (BCDx36HP, TRX-x)

If you want to scan trunked NXDN, only the x36 series trunks.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Lots of assumptions, but no real facts to back it up.

Regardless, and with all due respect, there is more going on with it than a majority of you know. Don't feel like getting into a pi$$ing contest again. But yes, while most mainline comms will remain analog NB for a the near future, there are other mainline comms that will be NXDN. It is pretty interesting. No encryption that I have heard of at all (Except RR police, and the codes are pretty much impossible to get, as I understand there has to be an agent in the programmers room there when their radios are being programmed)

Anyway, believe me now, or believe me later, but there will be some regular NXDN comms on mainline traffic coming soon. No, it won't be for interchange, nor will it be conductor to engineer and such..

Please post when you finally do pick up some NXDN out in the field. It may not have started yet on most lines, but it is getting near.

Happy monitoring!

Status
Not open for further replies.