NYC News stations on 450MHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

What are some continuous news station that broadcast continuously on the 450mhz? if you have a list that would be so much better, thanks. Northern NJ and Long Island are welcomed as well.

scannerman5555

Silent Key
some work and some don't yet ! ................. some are getting new fcc call letters now going back to the old system ......................... some radio station have freq that did work no more like metro traffic / shadow traffic walk radio & etc ....... ! don

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
One of the issues we have to deal with is the faze out of Nextel's direct connect. It's been the backbone of our communications for many years. It was also the favorite of the police. When we realized that the cops can pull the plug on non-emergency users, we needed to control our own communications systems. Thus: everything old is new again and the 450 band is being re-populated.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
One of the issues we have to deal with is the faze out of Nextel's direct connect. It's been the backbone of our communications for many years. It was also the favorite of the police. When we realized that the cops can pull the plug on non-emergency users, we needed to control our own communications systems. Thus: everything old is new again and the 450 band is being re-populated.

Well, I picked a fine time to move away from NYC!!

Sprint is now offering a "direct connect" service; why did you choose not to use it? Also, what do you mean when you say "the cops can pull the plug on non-emergency users?"

KC2zZe

I would have phrased it a little differently. It's more like this... if a police (or fire, etc.) commander and a reporter are standing at the same scene, the cop's, etc. (department) wireless device (phone, NexTel, etc.) - if configured correctly - would get through with any incoming/outgoing calls and the reporter's (or mine or yours, as a civilian) might not - depending on how busy the entire system is. Here's a place to start your research http://survivalandprosperity.com/20...f-the-telephone-network-in-major-emergencies/ Scroll down to Wireless Priority Service. The premise is that your call to the wife to tell her that you're okay after a steam pipe explosion in midtown isn't as important as a phone call to police headquarters to update the Chief - who will update the Mayor, who will update - you get the idea. Reporters, and their calls to the metro desk, fall into the catagory of "Benjie, turn on the TV to Channel 2, watch this.......Baba booee, Baba booee, Baba booee, Howard Stern's Penis, Baba booee"

Last edited:

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
It boils down to this: we need to control our own communications. Cops have priority to the system and when ever there is an event, everyone around it immediately starts to use their wireless whatever's. The 450 band is ours to use. The cell system has become crowded. Now there are the "Live-U" and "Dejaro" units that use multiple cell phone connects to feed video and audio that stations are using instead of microwave links. So unless a hole lot of band with opens up, city broadcasters will use the 450 band to stay on the air.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
It boils down to this: we need to control our own communications. Cops have priority to the system and when ever there is an event, everyone around it immediately starts to use their wireless whatever's. The 450 band is ours to use. The cell system has become crowded. Now there are the "Live-U" and "Dejaro" units that use multiple cell phone connects to feed video and audio that stations are using instead of microwave links. So unless a hole lot of band with opens up, city broadcasters will use the 450 band to stay on the air.

Is there any chance that if there is a migration back to the UHF radios for you newsies, that there will be some kind of encryption to keep your story coverage to yourselves and not get "scooped" by a competitor?

I don't know that much about news crew comms, although I did used to listen in from time to time in the eighties and early nineties, in NYC.

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
The radio comms are just for operations. Any important info [exclusive interviews or locations] is handled by text, e-mail or phone. You will hear some direction on the IFB channels but that's about it.

Dialing

Back in the 80's and 90's when I was working in that market, the 450mhz radios got a fair amount of use for IFB and air cueing by the local TV stations. I remember that the Shadow Traffic Network did their live traffic reports on the 450 band as well.

K2DNR

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I was listening to the news band during a water main break in Hoboken, NJ. I could see 3 news helicopters hovering and when I went to scan the news band, all I heard was audio feeds and a guy saying he needed this shot and that shot. And it was only one way. I never heard anything from the helicopter.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

In addition to 450-451 *and* 455-456 (not everything is repeatered, so you should listen to both bands) are you also listening to 25.870-26.470 (FM), 152.8625-153.3575, 160.860-161.775, 166.250 and 170.150, all of which have media allocations?

Dialing

I was listening to the news band during a water main break in Hoboken, NJ. I could see 3 news helicopters hovering and when I went to scan the news band, all I heard was audio feeds and a guy saying he needed this shot and that shot. And it was only one way. I never heard anything from the helicopter.

As I remember, the usual scenario was for the station/studio to communicate to the aircraft via the 450 mhz band, and the reporter on the aircraft would respond via the audio/video downlink to the station.

Status
Not open for further replies.