NYC OEM MOT Type II SmartZone scanner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcomm

Hey guys,

I'd like to monitor NYCEM (OEM) which is on a Motorola Type II SmartZone system. Any recommendations for a scanner (name/model).

I'm gonna make a purchase today. Your tips and advice are always welcome.

many thanks

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
If you want to monitor just the 800 mhz DOITT Type II system which OEM has a talkgroup and you don't mind using a real radio there are many MCS2000 radios on fleabay right now for less than $20.00
I have one in my office here in Midtown Manhattan that I picked up in Dayton for $12.00 a few years ago. Good this is you don't have to do the NAS with that radio just check no affiliate unless PTT

Listening to OEM can be boring sometimes with their roll call 3 times a day. OTOH there are FDNY/EMS Admin and special groups on it.

Last edited:

4-crime

OEM operates on the DOITT UHF system for day to day operations. They use UHF XTS2500’s and are now also using APX8000’s as well. Just be mindful that if you plan on purchasing an MCS2000 to monitor them, you will have to get the correct band split as the main operations are on UHF but they do rebroadcast talkgroups on the DOITT 800mhz system.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
If you want to monitor just the 800 mhz DOITT Type II system which OEM has a talkgroup and you don't mind using a real radio there are many MCS2000 radios on fleabay right now for less than $20.00
I have one in my office here in Midtown Manhattan that I picked up in Dayton for $12.00 a few years ago. Good this is you don't have to do the NAS with that radio just check no affiliate unless PTT

Listening to OEM can be boring sometimes with their roll call 3 times a day. OTOH there are FDNY/EMS Admin and special groups on it.

Are you recommending that the OP to program a radio onto a system that the OP is not authorized to be on? In order to program such a system, the OP would need a system key, that only System Admin or authorized programmers would have. Sure there is software out there where you can generate a key, however, that is propriety software that was never meant to be released to the public. Possessing of said software could result into legal issues.

Another thing, did you just admit that you have a radio programmed for the 800 DOiTT system? I would hope that you are authorized, if not I'm sure the System Admin would be pretty upset.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
For every ones info the 800 mhz DOITT system predates the 470 by at least 10 years, and for OEM any simulcasting comes from the same core that runs the 800. We just replaced an XTL5K 800mhz to an APX 800mhz for our OEM base ( I actuall have the old one in my office), and the fact that they have UHF portables now doesn't mean they all have UHF portables. The base stations for the OEM roll call are all 800, and I don't answer stupid questions by any one about what I am and or not allowed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.