NYC Trunking - No objects received?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamAmory

I have a GRE 500 that was pre-programmed for New York City trunked systems by Scanner Master and thus has three groups of trunked systems already programmed. They are NYC DOITT 800 Trunking, NYC Metro 21 Trunking, and NY/NJ Port Authority Trunking, but when i set the GRE to monitor these systems, it scans but doesn't lock onto any frequency...?
Can anyone help me solve this mystery...? All I can pick up are the standard FM broadcasts. Is that because NYC doesn't use Trunking systems?
Thanks for your help in this matter.

moonies

with the psr500 you need to program talkgroup ids as well as the systems frequencies. Be sure you have the id type as group and wildcard ids is where you put the specific id number of an agency you want to monitor. The receiver wont search for ids as other sacnners will.

Patch42

I have no experience with monitoring in NYC, but from a quick look through the database here it appears NYPD and NYFD are both still on old non-trunked analog systems. If your scanner didn't come pre-programmed with these as conventional frequencies you'll have to put them in yourself. Check the database here at RR and you should find what you need.

WilliamAmory

Thanks for the info... I've just got to figure out how to make sure the id's type is "group" and that the wildcard ids have the correct id numbers input into the system... not real sure how to do all that yet, but I'm reading the CD instructions over and over to try to get a handle on the situation.

WilliamAmory

Thanks for the reply, Patch42... yes I'm aware of the fact that NYPD and Fire are still standard FM broadcasts and I have no trouble receiving them.. it's just the trunked systems I'm having trouble with. Thanks again for the reply.

RogerH11

moonies said:
with the psr500 you need to program talkgroup ids as well as the systems frequencies. Be sure you have the id type as group and wildcard ids is where you put the specific id number of an agency you want to monitor. The receiver wont search for ids as other sacnners will.

You've got to be kidding or mistaken? I never seen a scanner Uniden or GRE that you couldn't search or in "Open" mode to pick up all traffic and IDs.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
RogerH11 said:
You've got to be kidding or mistaken? I never seen a scanner Uniden or GRE that you couldn't search or in "Open" mode to pick up all traffic and IDs.

The Wildcard ID does function like 'open' mode, but it has some options that have to be correctly set. One of these is that the TG type has to be set as a 'group' ID as opposed to 'private' in order for this to work.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
n4jri said:
The Wildcard ID does function like 'open' mode, but it has some options that have to be correctly set. One of these is that the TG type has to be set as a 'group' ID as opposed to 'private' in order for this to work.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Well, that's not exactly an "option" so to speak. You set a Wildcard for talkgroups and one for Private/I-Calls separately.

In the latest Unidens, the Private Call "open-mode" needs to be turn on separately also.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
kikito said:
Well, that's not exactly an "option" so to speak. You set a Wildcard for talkgroups and one for Private/I-Calls separately.

In the latest Unidens, the Private Call "open-mode" needs to be turn on separately also.

Call it an option or call it something else, but you're missing my main point, which is that Wildcards provide us a very adjustable equivalent to 'open mode', and we have options that have to be correctly exercised in the Wildcard object's menu, the TSYS menu and the Global menu that all have to be correctly set in order to get it the way we want it.

Moonies mentioned the option/choice/whatever of 'group vs. private' in the Wildcard TGRP's menu as a possible cause of William's problem, and RogerH11 was responding to Moonies' statement that the 500 doesn't do open mode like the other radios do. I was trying to illustrate that the 500 has the equivalent of open mode, but it's not as simple as it was on the PRO-96. I hope that clarifies my purpose.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
n4jri said:
Call it an option or call it something else, but you're missing my main point, which is that Wildcards provide us a very adjustable equivalent to 'open mode', and we have options that have to be correctly exercised in the Wildcard object's menu, the TSYS menu and the Global menu that all have to be correctly set in order to get it the way we want it.

Moonies mentioned the option/choice/whatever of 'group vs. private' in the Wildcard TGRP's menu as a possible cause of William's problem, and RogerH11 was responding to Moonies' statement that the 500 doesn't do open mode like the other radios do. I was trying to illustrate that the 500 has the equivalent of open mode, but it's not as simple as it was on the PRO-96. I hope that clarifies my purpose.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

I understand and agree with what you're saying even though it didn't sound like it.

I do think it is still very simple to do open/closed mode on this scanner. Just create the Wildcard and lock and unlock it to go between open and close mode.

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
kikito said:
I understand and agree with what you're saying even though it didn't sound like it.

I do think it is still very simple to do open/closed mode on this scanner. Just create the Wildcard and lock and unlock it to go between open and close mode.

It should be the simplest thing in the world with the default settings. But now we have the capability to monkey with it and need to be circumspect as we do it. I guess it's the price of this new flexibility--and one that I'm definitely willing to pay! ;)

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Status
Not open for further replies.