nycomco programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickywheeler

Premium Subscriber
I just got a new Uniden BCD396XT scanner and I have send 22 hrs trying to program it. I wanted to test the unit and hear some of the EDACS off the illinois moutain tower. I have attached a .jpg of the screen shot of the scancat-lite software I used to program the unit. Can anyone see what I am missing. I can see there is signal but even when I allow the unit to scan for ID's I cant hear anything.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• bcd396xt.jpg
    bcd396xt.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 472

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
You need to make sure you have them in the proper LCN order. If the channel is listed as #1 then it goes into channel 1.If it is listed as #2 then it goes into 2. If you have another channel that is listed as #1 then you put it into channel 11,yes eleven. If it is not in the LCN order it wont work.The channels MUST be in LCN ORDER. It looks like you just put them into 0,1,2,3,4,5 etc. That wont work like that.

comspec

I am not familiar with this software, but the channels appear correct to me, with the exception that there is a frequency in channel 14, which is not part of the system, but this shouldn't be the cause of not receiving anything. What is the purpose of the "mode" colomn? Again, not familar with this software so not sure if there needs to be an entry there or not.

For troubleshooting purposes I would enter all the system frequencies as conventional channels and see if you can hear anything at all (other then the control channel, which I beleive you said you were hearing.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would never ever use Scancrap unless there wasn't a better alternative - and there is. Go download a copy of FreeScan, which is a free app that supports all the DMA scanners. The user manual for this software is here

Then get yourself a (cheap) premium subscription so you can download data from our database...best regards...Mike

[edit] Just looking at the screen shot, I don't see any group quick keys for the talkgroups you've entered. Keep in mind that you need to allocate a system quick key for the system, one for the site and at least one for the group containing the talkgroups

Last edited:

rickywheeler

Premium Subscriber
I think I found my problem. I wanted to be able to enable and disable some of the talk groups that use that repeater. For instance I wanted to listen to Lloyd and Marlboro Police, but did not want to listen to Poughkeepsie. There is no way to trun off groups once they are entered into a "bank" for in my case a "system" So as a solution I created multiple "systems" each system contained the same frequencies for the repeaters, but each had a different set of Group ID's. This way I could enable and disable different systems as needed.

Well long story short is, apparently the scanner will not process multiple systems containing the same frequencies.

I will try the idea of using the free software for programming my scanner, as the scancat software is very buggy.

rickywheeler

Premium Subscriber
I would never ever use Scancrap unless there wasn't a better alternative - and there is. Go download a copy of FreeScan, which is a free app that supports all the DMA scanners. The user manual for this software is here

Then get yourself a (cheap) premium subscription so you can download data from our database...best regards...Mike

[edit] Just looking at the screen shot, I don't see any group quick keys for the talkgroups you've entered. Keep in mind that you need to allocate a system quick key for the system, one for the site and at least one for the group containing the talkgroups

Thank you so much!! I got the subscription, and downloaded the software as you suggested. Does anyone have a template of a scanner with some of the local frequences and talk groups I could look at. Sometimes it is easier to program if I could see an example of how frequences are entered, how groups are organized, if PL codes are needed, how quick keys are assigned, ect, ect. I just dont have an example of how all this is suppose to be entered. My Email is rick@rickywheeler.com
Thanks

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Your frequencies look good .

Try freescan as stated above .

rickywheeler

Premium Subscriber

I cant thank you enough. That software is GREAT!! You were right, the scancat software is junk. Thanks again for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.