NYPD going encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GSP

Are baofeng users jamming that up yet? Over the last few months you don't have to look far to find that signature roger beep coming across division frequencies or even Westchester Co PD.

Darkstar350

I have a friend that works as a dispatch supervisor at NYPD call center, he said he knows nothing about the encryption. He did say that during high profile incidents radio silence is common now as things are to be "over landline only"

I didnt think that "radio silence" had to do with being in the clear or not
I was under the impression that when they request radio silence during busy times it was due to in case emergency traffic is needed then the freq is not tied up with routine traffic...

Also im not sure what im hearing on 482.6875 PL 110.9 which is a Interop freq but it also seems to be a simulcast of one of the other citywide channels - not sure if its SOD or otherwise...

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I'm re-posting this from the other thread about CW 4 for your consideration........

Before we make too much of this SOD thing and potential encryption, etc, let's remember something: the NYPD was the first agency to seek, and get, a waiver on narrowbanding SOLELY because of the cost of doing such a thing throughout the department was prohibitive. And the city has a lot less money now than it did then. And one of their other arguments were that the move to 700 was just down the road a bit.

But after the "interference" that was heard on the air during New Year's Eve at Times Square, I can see them investing a smaller amount of money now for a "mobilization" frequency or frequencies with a form of encryption and for field radio identification and control.

And considering what political priorities the present mayor of NYC has for the future which cost tons of money (and his personal and political disdain for the police), I could see the NYPD seeking yet another "waiver" for the 700 changeover, too, to avoid laying out the money for that.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I could see the NYPD seeking yet another "waiver" for the 700 changeover, too, to avoid laying out the money for that.

What would they need a waiver for? There is no mandate to a "700 changeover".

(T-Band aside, since there is no requirement in that auction to move to, specifically, 700).

Danny37

Impeccable sources within NYC government have reported to me that encryption is in the works, and not only for SOD. Most of the PD. FD also. Radios with encryption abilities have been ordered and some already received.

(BTW...the FD already has two encrypted handie-talkie frequencies).

Make of that what you want but I, for one, will not be investing in anymore radios.

Even for regular dispatch? I heard they were adding encrypted tactical channels for high profile incidents. I thought the new digital vertex radios (vx-p824?) they got were already encryption ready and most bosses already have them.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Take what I say as you will, and be guided accordingly.

It's no use trying to nickle-and-dime the interpretation, and looking for loopholes.

There's more I know (maybe a LOT more), but, out of respect for my "impeccable source" who asked me not to, I won't talk about it.

The most important thing to take away from the above post is: I am not investing anymore money into radios.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
(BTW...the FD already has two encrypted handie-talkie frequencies).

Umm wrong... FD does not have two encrypted HT frequencies. They have two frequencies that are set up for P25, however they are not encrypted.

cackis

Premium Subscriber
Umm wrong... FD does not have two encrypted HT frequencies. They have two frequencies that are set up for P25, however they are not encrypted.
FDNY units using the 3500's do not but the new 8000's do have 2 encrypted simplex channels in them for use at major incidents as directed. There are some additional uses of encryption but all dispatch and normal fire ground/tactical channels will remain in the clear per the present plan.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

Danny37

How long do you think an overhaul like that would take? I still see massive amount of cops with vertex vx-537s which are pretty much silver from so much use. The only guys I see with the new radios are bosses, detectives and specialty units.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Oh, okay.

Will we see your scanners for sale in the classified section?

It may.

But, frankly, I don't know anyone who would buy it locally.

End of an era....!

I've already re-directed my saved G5 money to other mandates.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
FDNY units using the 3500's do not but the new 8000's do have 2 encrypted simplex channels in them for use at major incidents as directed. There are some additional uses of encryption but all dispatch and normal fire ground/tactical channels will remain in the clear per the present plan.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

Didn't realize they are upgrading to the 8000's. Thanks for the info.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Just got this from a friend today...

Attachments

• 49612809_220346805517737_987283509561262080_n.jpg
    49612809_220346805517737_987283509561262080_n.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Vertex-949.jpg
    Vertex-949.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 81

W2SJW

Database Admin
I see GTR8000 got this covered as well in the other thread - whoops!

It's an exact clone of the APX900. Still a nice piece of gear!

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
I guarantee the average patrol unit officer won't have them keys. Just saying. Until it is needed. NYPD operates a high structure and planned agency by command and need to know these days. I'd iamgine a common key for all the depts and city wide but the side stif only those who are assigned to or need it will get them keys. I never seen a dept where every cop, fire fighter has all the keys in the radio. It is a security accountability thing.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Keep in mind agencies such as NYPD order a x amount of spare units, mobile and handheld as spare, backup replacements. So you'll see them models out there for bit until they are used up and the replacement model sent out. How we do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.