NYPD TAC Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2zZe

Great question, nyscan. The list opens up more questions than it answers. For example:

- None of the frequencies under call sign WQVI247 are accounted for on the list.

- Transit Police members are carrying Motorola APX7000s, of the VHF-high band + UHF variety. While the UCall/UTacs are accounted for, as are the 8Call/8Tacs, are the VCall/VTacs not programmed into the Transit radios? Speaking of Transit...

- There are no asterisks next to the Transit Tacs. I was under the impression that the railroad frequencies were going back to MTA NYC Transit for them to enhance RTO's radio system. Am I misinformed?

Last edited:

n2nov

Thanks for the update chatter and spurring me to correct that page. Still quite a few question marks to track down. :)

n2nov

- None of the frequencies under call sign WQVI247 are accounted for on the list.

Did the police academy move some training activities out to College Point? That's what seems to be the indication on the FCC license. It is for one repeater (452.725/7K60FXE) and six HT simplex channels (451.4875/11K2F3E, 451.6125/11K2F3E, 451.6625/11K2F3E, 452.0875/11K2F3E, 452.275/7K60FXE, 452.5125/11K2F3E).

ff026

Feed Provider
Did the police academy move some training activities out to College Point? That's what seems to be the indication on the FCC license. It is for one repeater (452.725/7K60FXE) and six HT simplex channels (451.4875/11K2F3E, 451.6125/11K2F3E, 451.6625/11K2F3E, 452.0875/11K2F3E, 452.275/7K60FXE, 452.5125/11K2F3E).

All training is at the new PA except for drivers training and the range.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The original...and probably still...meaning of TAC on the NYPD radios stands for, "Talk-Around Channel," meaning, talk around the repeater, not "Tactical."

ff026

Feed Provider
The original...and probably still...meaning of TAC on the NYPD radios stands for, "Talk-Around Channel," meaning, talk around the repeater, not "Tactical."

It stands for Tactical. There are no T/A for the NYPD. Years ago some of the spectra mobiles had the DIR (direct/talkaround) button enabled which is talkaround. The spectra’s are all gone replaced with vertex mobiles and APX mobiles and the DIR button is not enabled.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
The ORIGINAL meaning of TAC, when multi-channel radios first came out, was "Talk-Around Channel," and nothing else.

The furthest things from the minds of NYPD bosses was anything "tactical." In fact, it was one reason why they changed the name of the old TPF: the words "tactical" and "force" was politically incorrect, even in those days.

ff026

Feed Provider
Your talking about the VHF era terminology. The term used by UMOS when referring to the TAC channels is Point to Point. TAC is what the radio actually displays.

kmilcar76

I have a question how do I get simplex like nypd tac-g tac-h anlso
nypd tac-e how do i get on my police scanner do i set delay off in oder to work?

nyscan

nypd tac-e how do i get on my police scanner do i set delay off in oder to work?
There is no difference in how you program a Tac channel from any other conventional channel. But, since they are point to point and not repeated you have to be close to hear.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
There is no difference in how you program a Tac channel from any other conventional channel.

He was asking about delay because in another forum he was missing NYSP calls because there, they transmit on one freq and receive on another. He had a delay set..

Check your pm.

nyscan

For the Tacs I would keep the delay on. They will work either way but if you are scanning them it's better to have the delay so you don't miss any replies.

KC2zZe

You would need to program that frequency into your scanner and determine that locally. It is, like all the Tacs, a low power, simplex frequency - as has been mentioned repeatedly above. What you hear on the any of the Tac channels is dependent on three things:
a) your set-up.
b) who has opted to use the channel (i.e.: a helicopter crew vs. a cop in a basement), and
c) how close they are to you.
In other words, as the saying goes, your mileage may vary. If you're using the stock portable antenna atop your scanner in northwestern Riverdale, you might not hear all that much. If you're using a mag-mount antenna on a window sill in 78 story apartment building in Long Island City, that could be a different story.

Last edited:

KC2zZe

And, with regard to the discussion about what the letters TAC stand for, I can tell you with 100% certainty that they - in this current UHF-T band era - are short for Tactical.

Status
Not open for further replies.