NYPD Tow Trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber
Quick question, Just recently set up an SDR for monitoring some Bronx NYPD channels. I had the precinct channels in and was working pretty well. Now weirdly though Im getting some clips that definitely seem to be from different channels, Im hearing a lot of tow truck chatter as well as units calling "Citywide 6" and "Manhattan tow yard" but my SDR for some reason associates it with different Bronx frequencies. Maybe a bleed or drift possibly from my SDR? Also I tried to find these frequencies on RR but was unable to (probably not looking in the right place). But its definitely not NYPD Highway Citywide comparing it to my scanner. Just slightly confused, maybe my SDR isnt working correctly. Thanks!

Ant9270

The Green Weenie
Most likely the normal NYPD citywide channels. Each citywide channel is affiliated with X number of precincts. Generally the NYPD Roll offs, tow trucks and other odd units operate on CW.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Im hearing a lot of tow truck chatter as well as units calling "Citywide 6" and "Manhattan tow yard" but my SDR for some reason associates it with different Bronx frequencies.

What nypd freq are you hearing the towing chatter on?

Just slightly confused, maybe my SDR isnt working correctly.

Sdr picks up anything on whatever freq it's set to. If another agency or business is using the same freq, they will be heard. With scanners, you can set the pl or dcs tone and only receive the intended agency. Without a tone, you hear anyone using the freq. I am not sure if any of the Bronx freqs are used by anyone other than NYPD but it is possible. I also have not heard of a citywide 6.

Last edited:

Danny37

Could be there's a strong transmitter near you and it's bleeding on whatever frequency you're on. As far as NYPD tow trucks I believe they operate on NYPD CW-3. I believe CW-3 has been repurposed for traffic detail for several years now.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Probably bleedover. These little SDRs are great but they have little to no filtering which sucks if you're in a high RF environment.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Sdr# has ctcss and dcs detectors but apparently there is no way to lock out a tone. East Islip fire and NYPD both operate on 470.8375. If I keep my rf gain low, it's not much of a problem. But if I am scanning other Suffolk County depts I sometimes need to raise the rf gain, and then its a problem.

KC2zZe

KD2JFA, here's the deal.

There are six different types of tow trucks associated with the New York City Police Department.

Authorized tow: private companies that are granted franchises to service incidents (disabled autos, collisions, etc.) on specific segments of the City's arterial highways. These franchises call for responses within specific time frames and the 'round the clock availability of specific types of wreckers (regular, flatbed, heavy duty, etc.) in order to be maintained. They are requested to respond by a telephone call from a Zone dispatcher (usually Traffic) and utilize their own internal two-way radio systems to communicate among themselves.

Rotation tow ("Row-Tow"): private companies that service incidents on local roadways within specific precincts, on a rotating basis. Again, like authorized tow, their internal communications are on their own two-way radio systems (if any) and they are requested to respond by telephone as well.

Highway District tow: marked NYPD tow trucks that are used to tow Highway District vehicles, with specialized ones for their motorcycles. They normally operate on the Traffic channel (470.8125, 123.0 / 482.4625, 123.0), but have been known to pop up on whatever channel Highway may be assigned to for a particular detail.

Fleet Services Division tow ("Department Tow"): marked NYPD tow trucks that are used to tow department vehicles that are disabled or involved in collisions and to tow vehicles that are being impounded as evidence. Department Tow operates on the CDCW (Communications Division Citywide) channel, 471.1125 (110.9).

Property Clerk's Division tow: These marked NYPD tow trucks are used to move impounded vehicles around within and between the Department's Auto Pounds. I've never heard them on any air, unless they happen to be assigned to assist with clearing vehicles off parade / fair / movie shot routes, in which case they will be using whatever channel is assigned to the particular event.

Violation tow: marked NYPD tow trucks (sometimes still seen sporting the old dark blue livery), assigned to the Parking Enforcement District, used to tow away vehicles in violation of the City's parking rules - typically for the priority violations of:
- bus lanes / bus stops,
- double parking,
- no stopping / no standing, and
- blocked fire hydrants.
They often clear out violators in diplomatic / consular spots and will occasionally clear a blocked driveway as well. They are regularly detailed, as a PCD tow truck can be, to assist with clearing parade routes / formation blocks, street fairs, movie shot sets, etc. (and will use whatever channel may have been assigned for that event).
Violation tow is divided into four commands, and normally operates on:
Manhattan (on Citywide 3 470.8625 151.4),
Bronx (on Bronx PED, 453.2500 151.4),
Brooklyn (on Brooklyn PED 471.2125 151.4), and
Queens (on Queens PED 471.1875 151.4).

You hearing a reference to Citywide 6 surprised me, as I didn't think that system was turned on yet. Punch in 484.8125 and let me know what you hear.

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
KD2JFA, here's the deal.

There are six different types of tow trucks associated with the New York City Police Department.

Authorized tow: private companies that are granted franchises to service incidents (disabled autos, collisions, etc.) on specific segments of the City's arterial highways. These franchises call for responses within specific time frames and the 'round the clock availability of specific types of wreckers (regular, flatbed, heavy duty, etc.) in order to be maintained. They are requested to respond by a telephone call from a Zone dispatcher (usually Traffic) and utilize their own internal two-way radio systems to communicate among themselves.

Rotation tow ("Row-Tow"): private companies that service incidents on local roadways within specific precincts, on a rotating basis. Again, like authorized tow, their internal communications are on their own two-way radio systems (if any) and they are requested to respond by telephone as well.

Highway District tow: marked NYPD tow trucks that are used to tow Highway District vehicles, with specialized ones for their motorcycles. They normally operate on the Traffic channel (470.8125, 123.0 / 482.4625, 123.0), but have been known to pop up on whatever channel Highway may be assigned to for a particular detail.

Fleet Services Division tow ("Department Tow"): marked NYPD tow trucks that are used to tow department vehicles that are disabled or involved in collisions and to tow vehicles that are being impounded as evidence. Department Tow operates on the CDCW (Communications Division Citywide) channel, 471.1125 (110.9).

Property Clerk's Division tow: These marked NYPD tow trucks are used to move impounded vehicles around within and between the Department's Auto Pounds. I've never heard them on any air, unless they happen to be assigned to assist with clearing vehicles off parade / fair / movie shot routes, in which case they will be using whatever channel is assigned to the particular event.

Violation tow: marked NYPD tow trucks (sometimes still seen sporting the old dark blue livery), assigned to the Parking Enforcement District, used to tow away vehicles in violation of the City's parking rules - typically for the priority violations of:
- bus lanes / bus stops,
- double parking,
- blocked fire hydrants.
They often clear out violators in diplomatic / consular spots and will occasionally clear a blocked driveway as well. They are regularly detailed, as a PCD tow truck can be, to assist with clearing parade routes / formation blocks, street fairs, movie shot sets, etc. (and will use whatever channel may have been assigned for that event).

You hearing a reference to Citywide 6 surprised me, as I didn't think that system was turned on yet. Punch in 484.8125 and let me know what you hear.

The Property clerk does not have Tow Trucks. Dept tow is sent to the precinct to get the vehicle and tow it to the property clerk division appropriate auto pound. There are two trucks and tow truck operators at the pound but they are assigned to Dept Tow @ the pound.

You forgot DARP tow. Directed Accident Response Program. They respond to accidents NOT on highways when requested by division units. The division units request DARP and give central: plate,color and type of vehicle(i.e. sedan,suv etc). Communications notifies DARP via telephone.

Last edited:

Danny37

So that's why there's all these new 480mhz Freqs on the fcc site. Are they planning to use them all for citywide and detail?

KC2zZe

Yes, indeed; DARP. And, again, two-way comms, if any, are on the towing company's own internal radio systems.

Regarding the Clerks...the assignment of FSD trucks to the auto pounds must be a relatively recent change. I recall seeing in the past trucks marked PCD, for their own internal use. The operators are civilian MVOs, regardless of whether the truck was from FSD or PCD, so the change, I'm sure was easy enough to implement. It wouldn't be like having a TEA (traffic enforcement agent) start towing for the Clerks.

Last edited:

ff026

Feed Provider
Yes, indeed; DARP.

Regarding the Clerks...the assignment of FSD trucks to the auto pounds must be a recent change. I recall seeing in the past trucks marked PCD, for their own internal use.

They are labeled PCD but the trucks belong to Dept Tow. All tow trucks operators not assigned to the Traffic division are assigned to Dept Tow no matter what location they work at. All requested for Dept Tow either by radio or telephone have to be handled by Dept tow.

2 examples:

1) a vehicle is evidence at a crime scene and needs to be towed to a location. The request may come over the air but Dept tow must be notified via Landline in order for a vehicle to be moved.

2) a vehicle is evidence at a precinct and needs to be towed all the appropriate paperwork gets faxed to Dept Tow who assigns it a number and eventually it gets removed to the pound.

ff026

Feed Provider
Oh and the tow trucks that are labeled PCD very rarely leave the pound. They are at the pound to move vehicles around inside of the pound. So Dept tow drops it at the pound from a precinct. The pound intakes it then the tow trucks marked PCD move it to its storage location inside of the pound.

KC2zZe

...Thus why I've never heard them on the air. And even when I have, such as during an all-hands-on-deck affair, it's usually by the PO's last name of who's assigned to ride shotgun with the MVO to act as a recorder for where the towed vehicles get relocated to. Again, thank you, ff026.

ff026

Feed Provider
...Thus why I've never heard them on the air. And even when I have, such as during an all-hands-on-deck affair, it's usually by the PO's last name of who's assigned to ride shotgun with the MVO to act as a recorder for where the towed vehicles get relocated to. Again, thank you, ff026.

Yes when there is a shortage of tow trucks they will use the ones assigned to the pound.

KD2JFA

Radio Guy
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the in-depth reply! Very useful, and for reference I threw that frequency in and didnt hear anything over it or see anything in the waterfall for about 10 minutes, But Ill let it run overnight and see. Which system is this you're thinking of?

coolrich55

KD2JFA, here's the deal.

- bus lanes / bus stops,
- double parking,
- blocked fire hydrants.

Interesting. I've never heard anything on CDCW besides the radio guys. Well and also the dispatcher reading out level ones ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.