NYPD unfamiliar term used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't claim holier than thou for upstate counties, they had problems too. Anywhere a governmental agency believes it's going to be taken over or restricted in their ability to collect taxes and make decisions there will be problems, and this goes not only for 911.
No dispute on that. Just pointing out that many of the issues that have long been resolved elsewhere seem to keep resurfacing down there. That may be more colloquial than fact, but where there's noise.....

I'm just lucky enough to have lived in 5 different upstate and western NY counties where the turf wars on 911 itself were minimal or non-existant. One county had some LE agencies who were initially reluctant to move into central dispatch at the 911 facility, but they never even hinted at wanting to be separate 911 PSAP's. A bunch of the EMS squads kept their own 7 digit emergency numbers right up until 911 started doing EMD. They all ceded to 911 within just a few months.

The county where I currently live is so small population wise, that agencies, be they LE, Fire, or EMS, don't even consider having their own dispatchers. When 911 was turned on here, everyone had already given up their individual 7 digit emergency numbers.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I heard a call on Manhattan transit today at 15:34. The transit LT answered, dispatch informed him the job came over from the 5th wire. Is that the subway radio system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nyscan

Definitely 6 wire. It is the internal radio system in the NYCTA, not the VHF system. More like an intercom system among the the major units of the NYCTA which used to include the TAPD and now the NYPD TB.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
The 6 wire can only be heard by the other end of the 6 wire correct? It can't be heard any other way?

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
The 6 wire can only be heard by the other end of the 6 wire correct? It can't be heard any other way?

Yes. These are hardwired tieline systems so no Rf aspect. They have these with a bunch of agencies in the city. Think there is one for the airport's and maybe coned

Status
Not open for further replies.