NYS Cancels Hundreds of 800 MHz Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
This is kind of a "duh" post, not at all unexpected by those of us following the drama filled soap opera saga of the NYS SWN project over the past few years, but I suppose it's noteworthy nonetheless. NYS has canceled 852 YE/YP trunked licenses within the past month, which more or less wipes out all 800 MHz frequencies that were intended for the SWN.

I guess the project is officially dead and buried. Good riddance, it would've been nothing but a bottomless pit for the taxpayers that wouldn't have lived up to a fraction of the hyped BS claims about its supposed function or alleged coverage/performance. The poor taxpayers of neighboring PA have found that out the hard way with their PA-STARNet OpenSky system that has a miserable track record of unreliability.

Anyone interested in seeing the full list of canceled licenses, head on over to the FCC ULS and search FRN 0004484390

License Search

Last edited:

vinzep491

Atleast they cancelled now, and before a whole system was built out overbudget, and failed, like pa.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Having been privy to some conversations about those licenses, you might see some of them pop up for MTAPD use in the near future. I heard that about 20 channels were being released by NYS for MTAPD use. MTAPD is putting in 800 EDACS radios for use at the Staten Island Terminal, and they are also getting some on CONN SP.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
MTA has a talkgroup on the CSP system with the last system update (about a month or two ago).

FCC requires that a system be built out and FCC notified that they are in use or the licenses automatically expire. I didn't look up any of them, but I know the state has had 800MHz licenses for many years...so most likely due to default...or was told to build or relinqish by the FCC.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
FCC requires that a system be built out and FCC notified that they are in use or the licenses automatically expire. I didn't look up any of them, but I know the state has had 800MHz licenses for many years...so most likely due to default...or was told to build or relinqish by the FCC.

As stated, they were all canceled, they did not expire. They weren't due to expire until 2012. The FCC sent them construction/coverage reminder letters back in October, but the state chose not to request a time extension (which is relatively easy to obtain, by the way), but instead voluntarily canceled all the licenses. I did look them up, rather than speculate about them. ;)

Spec

Hmm CSP is a Motorola system on which the MTAPD has had access for several years now. As to the EDACS part .....

PJH

Premium Subscriber
@Chauffeur6-Was more like an FYI/educational thing for those on here who think that once a license is granted, its all well and good - but that it does not work that way.

@Spec-There are/were only about 10 radios that had/have ID's on the CSP system. Up until December, they did not have their own talkgroup. As of December, they were giving their own talkgroup when they updated the system templates.

Spec

Thanks PJH. The MTAPD has piggy backed onto a variety of "other" users systems over the years. Just as the CSP system. They piggy backed onto the NYCOM one off Illinois , now Walker, without a talkgroup.. Most all of the other systems were /are vhf 150. It is not uncommon to see them pop on to other systems as there are numerous mou's still in existence. Adding an EDAC system only leads me to believe they found some equipment on the cheap that is most likely being discontinued in a product line. That has been their MO for years. AND before anyone takes that as a hard and fast fact...it is only a possible scenario.

Last edited:

radioman2001

NYS did request an extension and it was not granted back in November. That's when I heard about a block of frequencies being given to the MTAPD, but as usual I suspect they will screw that up too, by waiting too long to do something. The NYSP is EDACAS from the Empire State building that gives them coverage to Staten Island where their VHF don't work, and Conn SP is Motorola P-25, so I guess they could use a Harris radio with both type of systems loaded in it, and yes they do have every VHF police frequency in their territory loaded in their Orion's. I helped build the code plug last year. As far as picking up the cheapest equipment, you don't know the MTA too well do you. The PD buys the best every time they can, and have a mandate to fix their radio system to get out from under a 100K a week overtime bill. As far as it being speculation, I installed the EDACS base for GCT dispatch, and they have had mobiles installed in the cars that work NYC area and the Staten Island terminal. The only change I see with that system is whether they remain analog or go digital.

Last edited:

Spec

Unfortunately I do know them pretty well. Their purchasing is usually behind and yes they do have some nice equipment that again they never seem to utilize to it's full extent. That 100k OT bill is a result of some of their ineptness from past managers that they never thought would come back to bite them in the butt, but that's another story. When they picked up SIRT they didn't have a link from 345 so they are doing a piece meal thing again as they did with the eastern region instead of working on a total single system. They put all their hopes into piggy backing on SWEN ,and never thought of a plan B. Actually they never even worked on a plan A. As to Harris it would be nice, but we both know where that is going.

Last edited:

radioman2001

The whole SWIN thing was because higher up personell in the MTAPD wanted a radio system that they didn't have to maintain, like a cell phone, and have no repsonsibility for if it crapped out. So in other words not from the MTAPD. You probably know who he is, but I am not naming names. The mandate they are under now is a result of a safety complaint, and from their current radio consultant. The consultant is stating that the MTAPD install equipment (which they have endless funding for) so that the PD can use every radio system in their territory, until they can build a viable system of their own on VHF, which may also happen in my lifetime. LOL

PJH

Premium Subscriber
....and Conn SP is Motorola P-25, so I guess they could use a Harris radio with both type of systems loaded in it, and yes they do have every VHF police frequency in their territory loaded in their Orion's....

Only one minor clairification. CSP is P25 SmartZone, not APCO25 Phase 1. MTA would need an ASTRO Radio or EF Johnson radio with the correct options. CSP will transition over to an APCO25 Phase 1 system, but its still a couple of years away.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
MTA has a talkgroup on the CSP system with the last system update (about a month or two ago).

Would you happen to know if the MTA/MNRR PD is going to have any other talkgroups besides the following:
EC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
48432 bd3 D 56 MN Trans Metro North Law Dispatch
48464 bd5 D 55 MTA PD MTA Police Law Dispatch

It would definitely make sense if the MTA were able to grab a couple of those licenses that were going to be used for the SWIN system. I can imagine that piggbacking off 4 different systems and maintaining that equipment could be a little bit of a challenge and working on one uniform system may be a little bit easier.

1) VHF system
2) CSP System
3) EDACS system
4) Does MTA/MNRR have any talkgroups on the Westchester Interoperability Trunking system??

Status
Not open for further replies.