NYSP in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
Been noticing a lot of NYSP vehicles and troopers relocated in the confines of the city, especially at the MTA bridges and tunnels and mass transit hubs.
Are these units all Troop M and comms on the NYS Metro 25 system? Is there another talk group they are using besides 3001?

15plus1

While not answering your question, be aware that Cuomo has directed that TBTA vehicles be painted and decaled to closely resemble NYSP. Saw one of those vans a week ago at QMT. Had to do a double take when I saw it. To be sure the Troopers numbers have been increased in NYC, but u might be seeing TBTA, not NYSP.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
While not answering your question, be aware that Cuomo has directed that TBTA vehicles be painted and decaled to closely resemble NYSP. Saw one of those vans a week ago at QMT. Had to do a double take when I saw it. To be sure the Troopers numbers have been increased in NYC, but u might be seeing TBTA, not NYSP.

Yes I'm aware of that and also do a double take each time I see a trooper colored car. However, all the units (and I have been looking closely lol) I have been seeing have been the troopers in their gray uniforms and purple ties. I have noticed several MTA maintenance vehicles (dump trucks) with the new dark blue/gold color scheme.

Nawton

Been noticing a lot of NYSP vehicles and troopers relocated in the confines of the city, especially at the MTA bridges and tunnels and mass transit hubs.
Are these units all Troop M and comms on the NYS Metro 25 system? Is there another talk group they are using besides 3001?
What's Troop M?

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
What's Troop M?

Manhattan I believe. The license plates on the NYSP vehicles usually show the 2nd digit as their troop affiliation. I've seen trooper vehicles with those plates assigned to Javits Center details.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Troop M ("Manhattan") is the old name of Troop NYC. The troop was renamed at some point in the late 80s or early 90s I believe.

Some are still in the habit of referring to it as Troop M, including the SP themselves.

KC2GSP

There is an additional trooper presence in NYC. In large part, it's an effort by Gov Cuomo trying to pi$$ in the face of his nemesis Mayor De Blasio. Nothing else. The troopers that are stationed at many of these locations may not necessarily be from Troop NYC and could be just assigned as part of a detail. Much of work that Troop NYC does is investigatory based, not enforcement. I don't believe most of the troopers even want to be dealing with the city to begin with

giguchan

Premium Subscriber
Speaking of Troopers.... I saw a good looking short one the other day In Penn station.. She didn't look too bad either underneath her Stetson.

I couldn't see what kind of radio she was carrying though..

15plus1

There is an additional trooper presence in NYC. In large part, it's an effort by Gov Cuomo trying to pi$$ in the face of his nemesis Mayor De Blasio. Nothing else. The troopers that are stationed at many of these locations may not necessarily be from Troop NYC and could be just assigned as part of a detail. Much of work that Troop NYC does is investigatory based, not enforcement. I don't believe most of the troopers even want to be dealing with the city to begin with

Exactly !

coolrich55

I stay in the city often and have yet to find a location (different hotels) where I can get a good signal from that system.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I stay in the city often and have yet to find a location (different hotels) where I can get a good signal from that system.

Metro 25, formerly Metro 21, has been around for quite some time. Used to be an EDACS system, now a P25 system. Coverage was spotty...you could stand in one place perfect signal, move ten feet and it was gone.

mikeybus44

Premium Subscriber
I've noted quite an uptick in Troop NYC activity on the Metro 25 system in the last few weeks ... mainly car stops around the bridges and tunnels. I believe they were also tasked with assisting with HOV-lane enforcement on Staten island by order of the Governor.

FATF305

Premium Subscriber
Here are some pics of the New TBTA Cars that now resemble NYS TROOPER Vehicles...

Attachments

• TBTA1.jpg
    TBTA1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 931

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I've noted quite an uptick in Troop NYC activity on the Metro 25 system in the last few weeks ... mainly car stops around the bridges and tunnels. I believe they were also tasked with assisting with HOV-lane enforcement on Staten island by order of the Governor.

I've also seen a continually increasing number of SP cars roving the city on what appears to be routine patrol for the last few times I've been up there.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
What exactly would be a NYSP troopers duties in NYC? Would they patrol the highways? Or assist NYPD with calls?

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
What exactly would be a NYSP troopers duties in NYC? Would they patrol the highways? Or assist NYPD with calls?

Well, for one thing, the convention center (Jacob K. Javits Convention Center) is a state owned venue. The NYSP used to have a constant presence there, although they tapered off a bit a few years ago.

Otherwise I imagine they also have responsibilities on state highways that run through the city, as well as state courts. In addition, they cooperate with NYPD, PAPD and the US Marshal service, among others.

FATF305

Premium Subscriber

Being retired from the NYCPD as a PO ... I had never run into a NYS Trooper while working in the confines of the 5 Boroughs of NYC. They are on The Northern State Parkway / Southern State Parkway and the other outer roadways of Long Island and Upstate NY after leaving confines of NYC.

As for the TBTA you may see them much more on the local highways of NYC as they must travel to and from the Bridges and Tunnels within NYC (reports are they have even pulled over some "on duty NYC police in their unmarked vehicles for speeding and the NYC Police Officers were like W T F ?") ... but now with their new "Paint" they most definitely could be mistaken at a quick glance for a Trooper unless you look at their rear License Plate Tag or take a Good Look at the Door Seal.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
I am a contractor for Javits. The state police get assigned to Javits Center when they have big shows. For example at comic-con and for the auto show they had about 5 cars a day there to supplement the Javits public safety personnel. Javits also utilizes NYPD "paid detail" officers 7 days a week and increase those patrols as well for shows. The state police cars are usually troop M units (at least that's what's on their license plates)

As far as actual NYSP "Trooper" cars being in the city, they are definitely assisting in traffic enforcement/criminal determent at the MTA bridges, and as I said in my previous post, I've seen troopers (gray uniform and distinctive hat) conducting speed enforcement on Flatbush Avenue north of the Marine Parkway Bridge over the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.