NYSP Troop L Long Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

OK, I live very close to the SSP at the City Line. Since they closed the VS barracks, I rarely hear very much, just the occasional car transmission if they are between exits 13-15.
Suddenly, I hear the dispatcher (Bethpage, Farmingdale? or did they do dispatch at the new HQ in Westbury)? And I also heard cars responding way out east by exit 42!
So did they FINALLY install a repeater?
Still on 155.46 but it seems with a ton more power.

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
All of NYSP for Nassau and Suffolk is dispatched from their HQ in Farmingdale (Republic Airport). As far as why you hear them better or worse, they might be using different transmitter sites/antennas to talk to units in different areas. As far as I know, they operate on a duplex vhf system. Which means the cars transmit on one freq and the dispatch answers on another freq. Have they installed a repeater on their VHF? That I’m not sure. They used to be non-repeated.

scosgt

All transmissions are on 155.46
It is not duplex unless you know something I don't

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Then they’ve changed. Either all units and HQ transmits on 155.460 or they made it a repeated system. If you’re hearing cars from a great distance away, most likely they’re now using a repeated system.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
Then they’ve changed. Either all units and HQ transmits on 155.460 or they made it a repeated system. If you’re hearing cars from a great distance away, most likely they’re now using a repeated system.

I live in Brooklyn and have been monitoring Troop L for 30 years. I use a rooftop antenna and have been able to hear “Farmingdale” dispatch pretty well on multiple different radios. The cars can be heard if you are in close proximity to them while on or near the Parkways. I was out in central Nassau today and heard some troop cars responding to mva’s. They do not have a repeater in operation based on my listening experience.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
155.460 is listed as "Parkways" for Troop L, and is noted as a simplex BM channel where the base and mobiles are both on the same frequency.

We also have 155.505 listed as Troop L Base and 154.935 listed as Troop L Mobiles. That would be the traditional NYSP duplex setup that is used throughout most of the state.

It's not clear whether Troop L actually operates on 155.505/154.935 anywhere on the island, or if they're using 155.460 exclusively.

As far as whether or not there's a repeater on 155.460, that should be extremely easy to figure out based on the signal strength of the mobiles. If you're hearing a number of mobiles at the same signal strength as the dispatcher, then the likelyhood of it being a repeater is very high.

Bob1955

155.460 is listed as "Parkways" for Troop L, and is noted as a simplex BM channel where the base and mobiles are both on the same frequency.

We also have 155.505 listed as Troop L Base and 154.935 listed as Troop L Mobiles. That would be the traditional NYSP duplex setup that is used throughout most of the state.

It's not clear whether Troop L actually operates on 155.505/154.935 anywhere on the island, or if they're using 155.460 exclusively.

As far as whether or not there's a repeater on 155.460, that should be extremely easy to figure out based on the signal strength of the mobiles. If you're hearing a number of mobiles at the same signal strength as the dispatcher, then the likelyhood of it being a repeater is very high.
155.505 is also TMC-Traffic Management Center(NYSP Troop K) Base to car from Westchester County, NY all the way up. I do not think Troop L uses 155.505 ever.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I am in E Islip at the eastern end of Southern State. I receive troop L traffic on, 155.505 pl 110.9 , 155.460 pl 110.9, 154.935 (pl 85.4 and 107.2) and 853.9375.

Right now, (this morning) I only hear one side (dispatch) on 155.460 at my location. Most likely I am too far to receive mobiles. The same with 155.505, only hear Farmingdale and not mobiles.

At times I have heard 2 way conversations, but thats when mobiles were closer to me. They showed up on 154.935 iirc. Nothing out here sounds any different today than it did last year...

KC2GSP

If memory serves me correctly, I believe I heard both Mobile and Base transmissions about a year ago from Troop F on one frequency, presumably the output being the "Base freq". I only heard it for maybe a day or two and that was the end of it. I imagine the option is there for them to operate as if they're going through a repeater but for a multitude of reasons they choose not to.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Troop F has repeaters on some of their sites. If I remember correctly one was up on Jackie Jones in Rockland and another was up on Schunnemunk in Orange. They are turned off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.