Oakland County OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There might be a few exceptions, but I believe support for the Open Sky system stopped some years back. My guess is that this new P25 system is the only step available to have a functioning radio system.

I figure it will be a year, minimum, to get the P25 system up, once the equipment deployment starts. I am guessing there will be a phased cut over; repurposing the current frequencies.

Sent using Tapatalk

mikey60

There will be more involved than just repurposing frequencies. There will be licensing changes that will have to be made as many of the sites only have 3 or 4 frequencies now. P25, even phase 2, will require more per site. Most likely frequencies used on towers in an area of the county will all be combined into a simulcast cell, and there will be multiple cells in the county.

Mike

SCPD

QRT
Even if they went to phase 2 or 1 they'd probably be secure. I'm sure their main purpose was to lock out the casual listener as most who chose open sky were sold onto definite privacy. I was in a meeting once where it was made a point how pro voice or other formats could be heard if one purchased a radio in general public. Though I'm sure they had their other reasons to use open sky.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There will be more involved than just repurposing frequencies. There will be licensing changes that will have to be made as many of the sites only have 3 or 4 frequencies now. P25, even phase 2, will require more per site. Most likely frequencies used on towers in an area of the county will all be combined into a simulcast cell, and there will be multiple cells in the county.

Mike
I incorporated all that, but I suppose I should have been more specific. Reallocation of freqs onto different, and fewer, sites makes sense.

Sent using Tapatalk

SChuck

Many FDs in Oakland County still use conventional VHF for dispatch. Southfield FD is one. Go to Database in RR and select Michigan than click on Oakland County, look down the list to find them.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Everyone I talk to in the county is either very tight lipped about what is going on or a few probably don’t really know. Rest assured its not happening tomorrow and they are keeping it extremely quiet because they don’t want anyone to interrupt what they plan to do.
To many things are getting interrupted today because people really do care and are starting to call out their goverment for the waste.
What really needs to happen in this state is the legislature needs to mandate that the whole state will participate in MPSCS to stop these little islands from being there,.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Everyone I talk to in the county is either very tight lipped about what is going on or a few probably don’t really know. Rest assured its not happening tomorrow and they are keeping it extremely quiet because they don’t want anyone to interrupt what they plan to do.
To many things are getting interrupted today because people really do care and are starting to call out their goverment for the waste.
What really needs to happen in this state is the legislature needs to mandate that the whole state will participate in MPSCS to stop these little islands from being there,.

I wonder if the county wants obscurity, or if they actually have not decided on which system is the replacement yet.

The state cannot mandate MPSCS usage, it would be way out of bounds for the legislature's authority. Just like the federal level cannot mandate usage of radio systems. (The feds do encourage things, by tying grant money to adoption of that want.)

Sent using Tapatalk

szron

Most advantageous option for Oakland County is to build a standalone system and network it with the State as another zone. Just like Detroit does.

They get to keep all control of the system infrastructure and administration of it while they get interop and as a main bonus for the State, other subscribers get coverage in Oakland County (which as you probably know sucks now), and Oakland Co gets coverage outside.

But it's common sense to do that so we can only naively hope.

PBN1979

Many FDs in Oakland County still use conventional VHF for dispatch. Southfield FD is one. Go to Database in RR and select Michigan than click on Oakland County, look down the list to find them.

Southfield was the only municipality to reject opensky. Even police are strictly analog. Most FDs needed to have an analog simulcast because of compatibility issues with the paging/tone-out.
Supposedly Orion Twp Fire rejected it, too. However, they are garbled so in the very least, theres some kind of opensky patch.

ajstaman1999

Southfield was the only municipality to reject opensky. Even police are strictly analog. Most FDs needed to have an analog simulcast because of compatibility issues with the paging/tone-out.
Supposedly Orion Twp Fire rejected it, too. However, they are garbled so in the very least, theres some kind of opensky patch.

I thought Auburn Hills also rejected being on OpenSky? I thought i remember a rumor about the P25 system being online around 2020? Is Black And Veil (i think that is the name of the company still contracting it?)

radiobob1701

There are postings about County talkgroups on the State system, the Sheriff dispatch has 2 state consoles, 7500's and they are patching Opensky talkgroups through this for interop. A decision will be made soon on the direction the county will be going. Not at liberty to say yet. I haven't been on here much I do like the speculation though. When I am allowed to say I will post our status.

Status
Not open for further replies.