Oakland county public talkgroup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, i have a maybe stupid question but i'm sure you guys know the answer. Again sorry if it's kind of noob. Is there any public talkgroup or public frequency in oakland county ( west bloomfield, farmington hills, or around these areas) that we can program and talk? By public talkgroup or frequency i mean anyone who programmed his/her radio can talk to other people without any license( not the public safety frequencies, talkgroups, tacs or any private frequencies). I asked this because we used to have a public frequency in ****** city and usually people talk to each other or sometimes volunteer fire fighters alerts everyone on that public fre that what kind of fire or incident they had at that time.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
FRS (Family Radio Service). No license required, free to the public, radios can be had very inexpensively.

Thank you for replying. That's not what i mean, let me give you the example again. We had a frequency in ******* city (for example 423.800) which was an open radio, by open radio i mean it was a public frequency which anyone could program that frequency in his/her radio and talk to othe people( even know them or not), in other words, it was like a group chat
Now what i wanna know is, is there any frequencies in oakland county near west bloomfield, farmington hills, novi,... That you can program your radio and talk to anyone.( personally i don't think there is, because traffic in these areas are high and most of the frequencies are in use)

Thank you again for replying

GeneseeCoMI

Thank you for replying. That's not what i mean, let me give you the example again. We had a frequency in ******* city (for example 423.800) which was an open radio, by open radio i mean it was a public frequency which anyone could program that frequency in his/her radio and talk to othe people( even know them or not), in other words, it was like a group chat
Now what i wanna know is, is there any frequencies in oakland county near west bloomfield, farmington hills, novi,... That you can program your radio and talk to anyone.( personally i don't think there is, because traffic in these areas are high and most of the frequencies are in use)

That frequency is in the 70 cm amateur radio band which does require a license.

rivardj

Premium Subscriber
Short answer, you are correct there isn’t

I see in another thread that you have an XPR 7550 radio. I am guessing you are looking for channels or frequencies to use it on to chat with others. The only place it might be legal to use it is on the GMRS if you have a license and if that radio is type accepted for GMRS. The open radio or public frequency you reference above could only legally exist within the services listed below, these are your only choices for legal license free chatting:

CB Radio Frequencies
Range from 26.96500 Channel 1 to 27.40500 Channel 40

See link below for frequencies of channels 2 - 39:
Citizens Band (CB) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

MURS Frequencies
151.820 MHz (NFM)
151.880 MHz (NFM)
151.940 MHz (NFM)
154.570 MHz (FM) Blue Dot
154.600 MHz (FM) Green Dot

FRS/GMRS Shared
1. 462.5625 MHz
2. 462.5875 MHz
3. 462.6125 MHz
4. 462.6375 MHz
5. 462.6625 MHz
6. 462.6875 MHz
7. 462.7125 MHz

FRS Only Channels.
8. 467.5625 MHz
9. 467.5875 MHz
10. 467.6125 MHz
11. 467.6375 MHz
12. 467.6625 MHz
13. 467.6875 MHz
14. 467.7125 MHz

GMRS Only Channels (require a license)
462.550 MHz /467.550 MHz
462.575 MHz /467.575 MHz
462.600 MHz /467.600 MHz
462.625 MHz /467.625 MHz
462.650 MHz /467.650 MHz
462.675 MHz /467.675 MHz
462.700 MHz /467.700 MHz
462.725 MHz /467.725 MHz

The above Channels/Frequencies are the only license free or licensed by rule services that I am aware of in the VHF and UHF bands. There are other license free bands in the ISM Service from 900 MHz and above, but I don’t believe they fall into the category you are asking about.

I looked at the Radio Reference listing for Oakland County, Michigan:
Oakland County, Michigan (MI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
There are a few frequencies still in use around 423 MHz but they are police and fire dispatch for communities that are not on the Oakland County CLEMIS system.

The frequency range of 420 to 430 MHZ does fall into the Amateur Radio 70 cm band, but along the Canadian border above/North of Line A the Amateur Radio community cannot use that range of frequencies due to an International treaty between the United States and Canada. A large portion of Michigan is North of Line A. That said, any use in this range of frequencies would require a license regardless of the Line A stipulation.

Only the CB, MURS and FRS/GMRS frequencies sited above may be used in the manner you describe, unlicensed or licensed by rule on land, and would also require using type accepted equipment for each service. The VHF Marine Service is also licensed by rule, but those channels/frequencies may only be used from aboard watercraft/vessels while on the water.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
To the point

So is 423.8 the frequency you were talking on? If not, what was it?

And Genesee, below 430 is public safety and commercial in Metro Detroit. For most of the country you are right, it's ham. But there's some urban areas close to the Canadian border that don't apply to the standard ham band. We're one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.