Occupy Portland - Any Hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjohnston4

Also hearing Hillsboro and Tualatin (maybe more) are covering regular calls on the west side, they are meeting at Starbucks on BHH for briefing from PPB officer or SGT. Gresham has been helping cover east calls for awhile. Only going on Priority 1 & 2 calls.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Also hearing Hillsboro and Tualatin (maybe more) are covering regular calls on the west side, they are meeting at Starbucks on BHH for briefing from PPB officer or SGT. Gresham has been helping cover east calls for awhile. Only going on Priority 1 & 2 calls.

Are they on Portland's Net or their own?

Net-5

They are listening in, too...

Maxed out at 1251 at around 1:00. I think people finally figured out that nothing was happening.

Actually there was quite a bit happening but it seemed to be in clusters. I was listening at around 0200 when an officer was hit in the head with a projectile and PPB was calling for Code 3 medical. The AMR response was delayed (likely due to the crowds) and one could her the stress in the officers voice when he called BOEC back and just about screamed that the ambulance was not there yet and they better step it up. Sounded very intense.

And some of the people listening in to the RR scanner feed were relaying what they were hearing directly to the protesters, via the Occupy Portland web site live feed chat box. When I heard some of the relevant scanner traffic, within just a moment or two somebody was typing into the chat box the same information. They would also occasionally add a link to the Multnomah county RR feed so it is likely they were getting the information from RR.

On the other hand, I doubt that the RR feed was monitoring things like Central Tac 1, and I think PPB RRT was using that talkgroup to coordinate their ops. There was still some related information on Central dispatch, though (taking projectiles, occasional calling for back-up, more officers needed we can't control the crowds, protestors climbing up light poles, sabotaging generators, etc).

What interested me the most was when PPB abandoned their lines near the Justice Center and withdrew, followed by traffic on Central dispatch that they were shutting everything down and all units returning to their respective precincts, etc. Some of that traffic may have been disinformation (?) to throw the protestors off track, because a few short hours later PPB was back in force, caught the protestors by surprise and threw them out of the parks. PPB was also monitoring the Occupy Portland live feed chat box (where scanner information was posted) because they mentioned it on Central dispatch.

If Occupy Portland does take over a park or some other space again and a confrontation is imminent, check out the Occupy Portland live feed; you will see protestor video and audio in real time and the chat box where they update each other with scanner intel, intel on the movements of PPB that they see, occasional coordination of protestor movements by moderators, etc:

Occupy Portland Official - live streaming video powered by Livestream

Last edited:

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Browsing the Occupy Portland website, it looks like they are planning to "occupy the banks" tomorrow, Nov. 17th. And the OT expenditures just keep on going...

Good call on the disinformation theory. Makes sense, especially now that everyone is connected socially on Twitter, Facebook, etc. I noticed on the news coverage that there would often times be an officer standing behind the lines running a small video camera up on a pole. One chuckle -- somebody referred to the PPB white panel van as the "ice cream truck". :D

KE7JFF

Browsing the Occupy Portland website, it looks like they are planning to "occupy the banks" tomorrow, Nov. 17th. And the OT expenditures just keep on going...

Good call on the disinformation theory. Makes sense, especially now that everyone is connected socially on Twitter, Facebook, etc. I noticed on the news coverage that there would often times be an officer standing behind the lines running a small video camera up on a pole. One chuckle -- somebody referred to the PPB white panel van as the "ice cream truck". :D

Oh, it was funny hearing the central dispatcher going "Looks like they are tweeting about doing..."

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Oh, it was funny hearing the central dispatcher going "Looks like they are tweeting about doing..."

On the tweeters side, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't sharing information heard off the scanner illegal? I mean all things considered- the forums on this site, all the updates that people (and occasionally myself) post on this site, even the live scanner feeds, isn't that technically all illegal?

More importantly, I've seen plenty of Twitter pages dedicated to provided info directly off the scanner... as it happens..

DickH

No, its not illegal...otherwise press photographers would be out of a job :p

Ryan, you're a wealth of misinformation.
YES, it is illegal, but it is seldom, if ever, enforced. See the Communications Act of 1934.

KE7JFF

YES, it is illegal, but it is seldom, if ever, enforced. See the Communications Act of 1934.

Oh thats how you want to play, eh?

Yeah, the giant Communcations Act of 1934 says "any transmission which you are not entitled to" or something along those lines but later in various other acts and court rulings changed what that actually means.

joescanner

Just another radio geek.

False.

There was a lengthy thread on this very issue in the live audio forum (and I'm sure that our local expert k2asp has his own interpretation which he may or may not share with us).

The long and short of it is that "public safety" communications are NOT protected by the communications act, except in very specific contexts/circumstances. Other communications (media frequencies, taxicabs, etc.) are protected, but as Dick indicates, seldom if ever prosecuted.

Makes you wonder why there is a law on the books if it doesn't get used, doesn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.