Ocean City Analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARINE21078

In the near future I am heading down to Ocean City for a little vacation,and being that its a tourist hot spot, its bound to have endless Fire/EMS activity. After looking at the Ocean City page, (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1211), I have a question. Is everything under "The City of Ocean City" able to be heard with simply a analog scanner that is 800MHz capable? Its probably has a simple answer,but I don't know it. Thanks.

Last edited:

EDACSTECH

MARINE21078 said:
In the near future I am heading down to Ocean City for a little vacation,and being that its a tourist hot spot, its bound to have endless Fire/EMS activity. After looking at the Ocean City page, (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1211), I have a question. Is everything under "The City of Ocean City" able to be heard with simply a analog scanner that is 800MHz capable? Its probably has a simple answer,but I don't know it. Thanks.

You will be able to hear radio calls on your 800MHz Analog Scanner, but there is a lot of traffic and you may have a hard time following a call. If you have a Trunk Tracker 800MHz Analog Scanner and configure it for EDACS-WIDE with the LCN channels in the documented order, you will be able to follow all Analog Talk Groups. Only about 5% of radio calls are Provoice Digital that can't be scanned.

Hope you enjoy your visit to OC. June is a busy month this year. In addition to the Maryland State Firemans Convention, there will be an Air Show on June 10th & 11th.

MCMD5

Premium Subscriber
EDACSTECH said:
You will be able to hear radio calls on your 800MHz Analog Scanner, but there is a lot of traffic and you may have a hard time following a call. If you have a Trunk Tracker 800MHz Analog Scanner and configure it for EDACS-WIDE with the LCN channels in the documented order, you will be able to follow all Analog Talk Groups. Only about 5% of radio calls are Provoice Digital that can't be scanned.

Hope you enjoy your visit to OC. June is a busy month this year. In addition to the Maryland State Firemans Convention, there will be an Air Show on June 10th & 11th.

When programing my Uniden 250 should I be using the DEC numbers or the AFS numbers.

Thanks.

EDACSTECH

MCMD5 said:
When programing my Uniden 250 should I be using the DEC numbers or the AFS numbers.

Thanks.

I have used the DEC format but some scanners will allow you to enter AFS numbers as well. I believe they will both work as long as you enter them properly.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
AFAIK only GRE radios allow you to use the Hex values (specifically the PSR500 and 600). All others use the decimal format.

For EDACS every scanner I know of that can handle that system uses the AFS (agency fleet subfleet) format. 73 Mike

[edit] I just remembered something that trips a lot of folks up - when programming the frequencies (using the LCN order), leave channel 00 empty. As I understand it, it's reserved for something (emergency call up?); always start on channel 01 of the bank.

Last edited:

ocguard

AFS method can make scanning easier. For example, if you want to monitor OC Fire/EMS (which use 02-041 thru 02-047) you need only enter 02-04- and your scanner will track all of those talk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.