ODNR Enforcement Talk Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutes

Premium Subscriber
So I programmed my Uniden BCD 325P with all of the ODNR Enforcement SE Talk Groups. I am located in Pike County, OH. I am hearing the talk groups fine on my Pike County System Sites. My question is this. When the ODNR Enforcement SE Talk Groups mike up, I hear the officer(s) calling to "Columbus" which I assume is the main ODNR Dispatch. I cannot hear their end of the conversation, only the ODNR Officer calling for them. However, I do not see the talk group that would represent "Columbus" in the database.

Long story short.....who is "Columbus" and what talk group (if there is one) do I need to program in to hear them traffic back and forth with the field officer?

AYoung2600

So I programmed my Uniden BCD 325P with all of the ODNR Enforcement SE Talk Groups. I am located in Pike County, OH. I am hearing the talk groups fine on my Pike County System Sites. My question is this. When the ODNR Enforcement SE Talk Groups mike up, I hear the officer(s) calling to "Columbus" which I assume is the main ODNR Dispatch. I cannot hear their end of the conversation, only the ODNR Officer calling for them. However, I do not see the talk group that would represent "Columbus" in the database.

Long story short.....who is "Columbus" and what talk group (if there is one) do I need to program in to hear them traffic back and forth with the field officer?

Columbus is ODNR Dispatch. More than likely dispatch is transmitting in encrypted mode. Most of ODNR's traffic is encrypted and you will rarely hear traffic coming from dispatch.

phask

Premium Subscriber
That figures..........Thanks.

Less enc on weekends ...sometimes. You may also hear the dispatch to one of the park unite in the open.

9101501 9101502 9101503 9101504 9300765
I've seen all these as unit ID's for Columbus.

Premium Subscriber
One of their officers told me that he turns encryption off because he interoperates with other agencies a lot so it's easier just to turn it off and leave it off.

Nasby

Of all the agencies to use encryption, why would these clowns?

Poachers with scanners?

Unlicensed fishermen listening in?

sopranosno1

Of all the agencies to use encryption, why would these clowns?

Poachers with scanners?

Unlicensed fishermen listening in?

I always wondered the same thing. Hunters hunting bambi? Local teens at the local park drinking, getting high? 99.9% of the people at or near a state park are most likely not even using or own a scanner. They are overly paranoid for no reason. I always thought they encrypted so they can bad Mouth, gossip about local patrons around the parks.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Main reason for encryption as stated earlier poaching, illegal hunting, marijuana growth operations in the wild on state lands.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
They encrypt because of poachers, here in VA the DGIF have gone almost all encrypted. Can't say I've ever heard any of instance where they caught a poacher listening, but not gonna say it hasn't happened.

Nasby

They encrypt because of poachers, here in VA the DGIF have gone almost all encrypted. Can't say I've ever heard any of instance where they caught a poacher listening, but not gonna say it hasn't happened.

Here in Northern Ohio I can't recall an instance where they have ever even caught a poacher period!!

Nutes

Premium Subscriber
The thing about it is that I have been bow hunting for deer, trapping, and other hunting legally for years now in Ohio. I know that of all people who would work hard to ASSIST an officer in catching either of the listed groups of: poachers, illegal hunters, drug operations, etc.it would be other hunters who would attempt to assist the most. Overall, I just see way more down side to Encryption than I do upside. I honestly believe that for every one person out there who would utilize law enforcement communications to commit a crime, there are at least 3 that would utilize the information to HELP law enforcement. And then Law Enforcement wonders why everyone is looking more and more suspicious at them.......I just don't get it.

JB21386

They are great jugglers.
I think we know who the real clown is.

Anyway, it is odd they use encryption but they have done so for a long time. While their primary purpose is hunting and fishing regulations, they are still law enforcement. It's not uncommon to come across criminals and grow operations in rural areas and forest. Sometimes you can catch one side of the conversion in the clear. I also often hear ODNR units on MARCS-IP using the local Sheriff's TG when they need assistance and are alone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

dizwiz

Why are they "clowns"?

i live near a wildlife area. i had a chance to talk to my areas odnr wildlife officer.

i noticed he carries an assault rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol in his truck (nothing wrong with that).

i complained about the 'garbage' and 'trash' that people leave behind - as there are no trashcans or dumpsters ANYWHERE in this area.

the impression i got from him was 'thAts not my job, im not a garbage man.' 'if the trash bothers you then pick it up yourself'.....

Status
Not open for further replies.