SDS100/SDS200: Official Performance Report Google Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
So far my BCD436HP and HP2 are notably better than the SDS-100 on the three separate systems on my road trip. Should be noted in all fairness that both my 436HP and HP2 have had their antenna connectors replaced by Uniden, which did improve reception, and the settings used on all three systems are manual from experimentation, not auto.

The Unication G5 beat all of the above on the NJICS.

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I find it hard to believe that you've programmed your G5 for NJICS, FIRST, and SIRN.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
I find it hard to believe that you've programmed your G5 for NJICS, FIRST, and SIRN.

Never said it was programmed for all three, hence why it wasn't included with the three in the list. However, the G5 is programmed for NJICS and was out performing them all.

I've edited my original post for your clarity.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
So far my BCD436HP and HP2 are notably better than the SDS-100 on the three separate systems on my road trip. Should be noted in all fairness that both my 436HP and HP2 have had their antenna connectors replaced by Uniden, which did improve reception, and the settings used on all three systems are manual from experimentation, not auto.

The Unication G5 beat all of the above on the NJICS.

Upon further review issue found. Bad antenna connection on the SDS100 itself. Minor anomaly. Guessing it'll be fine after closer examination and a quick fix.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I figured as much. My SDS100 is picking up conventional and simulcast stuff my 436 can't hear, and my comparison testing of the 436 and HP2 (done before I got the SDS100) indicates that the HP2 chokes at pretty much the faintest hint of simulcast.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
My comparison testing of the 436 and HP2 (done before I got the SDS100) indicates that the HP2 chokes at pretty much the faintest hint of simulcast.

Honestly, never really had that issue with the HP2 or BCD436HP. However again, in fairness and objectivity, both my 436HP and HP2 have had their antenna connectors replaced by Uniden, which did improve reception, and the settings used on all three systems are manual from experimentation, not auto.

The 436HP is also a first production run, and had a very similar fault at the antenna connector to what I suspect this is on my SDS-100.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
To keep from breaking the sheet is it OK w/you if I delete the errant reports from the SDS100 column?

ILjim

Premium Subscriber
Added my entry from Illinois Starcom 21. Performance is out standing...10 ++++ if I could edit it...!
Also added my two cents on SC21 performance. Specifically, I rated the PSR-500 on Site 102 and I added Site 101...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
Upon further review, and voiding of the warranty (ducks), took one glance to find the issue which was confirmed to be a broken antenna connection. Looks like it may have been a fragile cold joint. It also wasn't sitting straight in the case. I'm guessing UPS's routine handling procedures resembling those of Stephen Gostkowski during the 2017-2018 regular NFL season probably are what did it in, despite Uniden's retail packaging. Retailer also didn't throw any peanuts or air-packets in the shipping box.

After a quick fix with the soldering iron, and closing it back up, the SDS100 is now out performing every other scanner the four of us have spread on the table, except our buddy's Unication G5 on WVSIRN where it's about equal. Hopefully it's equally as good on NJICS when we get back to Jersey on Monday.

I'm actually also really damned impressed with conventional reception in the AAR Band attached to the full-size Stationmaster up on the pole outside the cabin.

wise871

Database Admin
Glad you found the problem and all is working great now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Upon further review, and voiding of the warranty (ducks), took one glance to find the issue which was confirmed to be a broken antenna connection. Looks like it may have been a fragile cold joint. It also wasn't sitting straight in the case. I'm guessing UPS's routine handling procedures resembling those of Stephen Gostkowski during the 2017-2018 regular NFL season probably are what did it in, despite Uniden's retail packaging. Retailer also didn't throw any peanuts or air-packets in the shipping box.

After a quick fix with the soldering iron, and closing it back up, the SDS100 is now out performing every other scanner the four of us have spread on the table, except our buddy's Unication G5 on WVSIRN where it's about equal. Hopefully it's equally as good on NJICS when we get back to Jersey on Monday.

I'm actually also really damned impressed with conventional reception in the AAR Band attached to the full-size Stationmaster up on the pole outside the cabin.

Wow, you certainly have bad luck with antenna connections.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Any off topic posts will be deleted.

And stickified for the time being.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Would it be possible to combine the numerous SDS100 threads under this thread? It would be easier to keep up with the good and the bad and any other suggestions.

I'm very impressed with the 28 SDS100 reports (currently) majority are 10's, with a couple of 9's. About 5 days now with the units being in the hands of others, I would call this a success!

On an unrelated note, and this might be slightly off-topic and I don't recall it being asked but UPMan what is the meaning behind this avatar you've been using? I got the Felix the Cat thing, but the rest of it?

scannersnstuff

I asked the same question, and my post was removed. It would be better than wading thru a million nonsensical post's.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I asked the same question, and my post was removed. It would be better than wading thru a million nonsensical post's.

Hmm...I went through your posts and found no post deleted that had anything to do with that.

And to answer the merging question, you'd still have a "million nonsensical post's". They'd just be in one looooong thread.

Or are you suggesting we delete off-topic posts...and then get accused of censoring negative posts about Uniden?

See, it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is. :wink:

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Hmm...I went through your posts and found no post deleted that had anything to do with that.

And to answer the merging question, you'd still have a "million nonsensical post's". They'd just be in one looooong thread.

Or are you suggesting we delete off-topic posts...and then get accused of censoring negative posts about Uniden?

See, it's not as easy as everyone thinks it is. :wink:

LOL...ok ok...I was hoping! I scanned the Uniden forums this morning and it seems like we all want to be authors..lol! This thread and Jason's thread would cover a majority of them I read. The UHF "issue" someone mentioned, the "backlight" issue. Any system with "poor performance" would also qualify...to name a few. Anyway...just a suggestion as I think many of us might miss some very important information we might all benefit from maybe condensed into two active threads. I did start a thread in Illinois forum and I think that's important too..region specific to systems.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
33 SDS100 reports with an average of 9.9...looks pretty successful. I counted around 50 active threads concerning this scanner...some of the issues look to be "user issues", some want the back light to stay illuminated after the end of the transmission, a couple seem to be experiencing system issues which still might qualify as a user issue. I think I saw someone posted the Phoenix system in the Google document as a 10, while another user complained on the forums he had issues still? Does that sum it up? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.