Official PRO-2096 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolverine

The following post i read off a yahoo message forum and i cant say if it's true or not.

For those that may not have already heard, at approximately 5:55pm
Central Time this afternoon, the following official statement was
released by the GRE Digital Scanner Development Team:

Many of your readers have asked if a base or mobile version of the
PRO-96 is in development. We would like to let everyone know that a
digital version is indeed in the works. It will be a combination
base/mobile unit, and will be approximately the same size as the
popular PRO-2067 mobile. The model number will be PRO-2096, and the RadioShack SKU will be 20-496. It will be the perfect companion to the PRO-96 handheld unit. We cannot say when it will be available at this time.

Mike445

Ya man! Its posted on teh home page of this site as well. I've been waiting for one of these for a while. Now I won't have to lug my Pro96 in the damn car!!
Mike :twisted:

wolverine

I just hope on this model they will add into the software were the user can manual set the digital setting, so that will fix the problem when listening to a digital system the scanner wont go into analog mode and user wont hear the digital data.

K5MAR

I'm more concerned with the display size. If they use the 96 display like they did with the 2067 using the 92 display, forget it!

Mark S.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
wolverine said:
I just hope on this model they will add into the software were the user can manual set the digital setting, so that will fix the problem when listening to a digital system the scanner wont go into analog mode and user wont hear the digital data.

I don't understand what you're saying.

Do you mean that when it stops on a digital control channel, the audio should be muted (if you choose to) so you don't hear the "buzzsaw" sound?

I personally like hearing the control channel. Countless of times I've found the Uniden just sitting on a control channel (while scanning conventionally) without me noticing since I can't hear it because I forgot to lock it out.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
K5MAR said:
I'm more concerned with the display size. If they use the 96 display like they did with the 2067 using the 92 display, forget it!

Mark S.

Ihear ya Mark. If Radio Shack made the display the same size as the Unidens, I may purchase one. Also, man I wish GRE makes it computer controllable know that’s, asking too much, but sooner or later Radio Shack/GRE will have to come to the party with this.

Vince :D

mlevin

bnglbill said:
I can't wait, been waiting for a mobile unit as good as the pro 96. Do you think it will be designed so that we can just clone the pro96 to it. That would be very NICE! :D

They'd be dumb not to make that an option. But, if you have win96 which should work with the 2096 then you have no problem. Now if only I had a car of my own :(

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
No scanner ignores encrypted APCO-P25 transmissions.

baybum

Wish list

I'd like to see them add wide band FM so you can monitor local TV and FM broadcast stations. And how about a clock with alarm function?
I have an old RS PRO-2004 and I still think it was one of the best things GRE ever made.

GRE RULES!

Mike

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
The only things I would consider a must have: PC interface port, Audio out port for spaeakers, P-25 capabilities on both 3600 and true P-25 (9600), 700 ability, mil air, and LTR. Secondary: regular FM, as that is what your car stereo is for DUHHHHHHHHHHH, TV reception, since its all going to Digital HD and leaving regular airwaves anyway, who need it?! And what would be nice is a low bandwidth broadcast cable that comes standard with it for internet broadcast....and of course the software lol!

mciupa

Boomer
Pro-2096

Good suggestions, milf...

And might I add, a consumer-friendly purchase price .
(Radio Shack is usually fairly priced.)

kikito

Premium Subscriber
rdale said:
No scanner ignores encrypted APCO-P25 transmissions.

mlevin said:
Your right, I was thinking about muted audio for some reason.

OK, let me rephrase it, I hope they make it (Pro-2096) so that it mutes and/or ignores encrypted transmissions. Even better, make it user selectable. The system I currently monitor uses A LOT of encryption, especially with only one side or party of the conversation being encrypted. It gets to be a pain when the scanner locks on a conversation between R2D2 and C3PO.

(Let's see who gets that last comment.) ;) :lol:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
LOL not bad there my man! R2-D2 with all the encrypted beeps and yadda yadda... and C-3PO as the unencrypted lol. Well that would be nice for non trunked, non digital too, since a few agencies here also do encrypt and if its on one side not the other example: MS MBN to say MHP, MHP is not encrypted yet, but MBN on the oher hand is almost always encrypted these days.

wolverine

I agree with milf, Military Air band would be a nice option to have on this new mobile. I also hope they make some type of improvement's to the receiver, to help us out in areas like Hamilton County, OH were we are having problem's with garbled transmissions. Kind of defeats the point of buying a mobile scanner if we cant enjoy listening to the digital systems in are area while were mobile.

Mike445

With Don Starr's software you can open up the MIL AIR frequencies. I routinely listen to MIL AIR on my Pro 96. Hope that works on the Pro 2096 too! I'm sure it will be the same guts in a mobile package.
Mike :twisted:

kikito

Premium Subscriber
milf,

I knew you were going to be the first, if not the only one to respond on my attempt to illustrate a point with sci-fi humor due to your sig.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.