Offutt Evac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Seems Offutt AFB Omaha Nebraska evacuating some aircraft to the Southeast due to
base flooding..
Check out pic on their FB page. Looks like base surrounded by water.
https://www.facebook.com/OffuttAirForceBase/

So far tonight mode s logged 5 RC-135 Snoop types departing to the Southeast.
Maybe enroute Memphis not sure yet at 0200z
64-14847
62-4132
63-9792
62-4133
62-4129

Last edited:

BigC801

Seems Offutt AFB Omaha Nebraska evacuating some aircraft to the Southeast due to
base flooding..

64-14847
62-4132
63-9792
62-4133
62-4129

They all went down to Florida

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
base flooding..

64-14847
62-4132
63-9792
62-4133
62-4129

Offutt flooded back in 1984 when I was stationed there. I was working a midnight shift in the ATC Radar Maintenance shop, and headed out to the departure end of runway 12. I came over the crest of the little hill by the TACAN, and immediately hit water at the bottom. I was driving the shop pickup truck, which was a 1979 Dodge Ram 50 (made by Mitsubishi), and I was sure it was going to start floating. I was able to get it in reverse and back up the hill a bit. I got on the radio to the control tower and let them know it was flooding down there. I drove back to the shop and borrowed Weather Maintenance's brand-new Ford F-350 4x4, and picked up my shift-mate. We headed back down towards the back gate, making it there just about the time the Security Police showed up to unlock the gate. Water was coming across the highway, and the campground around the base lake was already flooded. We went down to the base stables, and had to help rescue horses, as the water was already almost 4 feet deep, and still rising. The next day we went out with the NAVAIDS shop to rescue the ILS Glide Slope shelter, as the water was already lapping at the bottom of the building. We brought out a M35 deuce and a half and a crane to pull the shelter out and carry it to higher ground. The NAVAIDS shop signed out a canoe from Outdoor Recreation so they could paddle out to the ILS and disconnect the cables, and unbolt the turnbuckles. We got the deuce and a half stuck, even in 6x6 mode. We had to get the guy from the base dump to bring out his road grader to pull the M35 out of the water/mud. Mosquitoes were a big problem that year...

Status
Not open for further replies.