O'Hare Tetra License

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Why would the city set up a Tetra system, especially when they are already setting up what is supposed to be a citywide P25 system?
Wouldn't it be easier, more expedient etc. to use the same system, even with a separate node for this system?

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Why would the city set up a Tetra system, especially when they are already setting up what is supposed to be a citywide P25 system?
Wouldn't it be easier, more expedient etc. to use the same system, even with a separate node for this system?

That's the million dollar question.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber

Explained in one word: Illinois.

CqDx

Curious to know if this system is on air yet?

Thanks

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Motorola hates TETRA

Motorola HQ is/was at Schaumberg near O'Hare Airport

Therefore

TETRA is near Motorola HQ

simple logic

rfandy

Premium Subscriber
The fact is that TETRA, especially in the transportation and critical infrastructure space, is much more desirable than P25. It handles data much better and the voice quality is superior. Look around the world. Motorola has done their best to keep TETRA out of the US - even though Motorola is the world's largest TETRA vendor and pushes it as the best technology - except in the U.S. - for public safety and transit applications. Other US airports have already gone to TETRA. Of course, O'Hare wants in. I find it funny that they're poking their neighbor, Motorola, right in the eye. Given their efforts to keep TETRA out of U.S., spread a false narrative about it to U.S. public safety - all in an effort to improve their profits...they deserve it!! I hope O'Hare goes with TETRA - from a different manufacturer!! Right in Moto's backyard.

rfandy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for info. (y) Interesting. It would be a big black eye to Moto if they let someone else win O'Hare's business right on their own doorstep.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Jeatock, you hit it on the head. My son and family live there, and some of things they do are unbelievable. On one trip to see my son, I bought a snack at Union Station, and the clerk, realizing I was traveling, apologized for the 10% sales tax. In addition to a state sales tax, individual cities can also levy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.