OHP Special Designators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjmag

Hey guys its been awhile. Can you help me with the special OHP designators. I know about the obvious ones based on Troop, Turnpike etc. I often hear some that I am not familiar with or don't remember. Here is my list so far. Thanks in advance.

Bravo ?

Headquarters?

Victor?

Sam= DOT inspection units

William = Lake Patrol

Training = Training Troopers

Radio Techs?

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I assume you realize the "W" in "William"probably stands for "Water" and the "S" in "Sam" is probably for "Safety". I would guess that the "V" in "Victor" is for "Vehicle" but that does not help. Reminds me that years ago, the Ohio State Turnpike gates would report their daily intake by radio using a code. The first month: A=1, B=2, C=3, D=4, E=5, G=6, H=7, I=8, J=9, and K=0. They did not use the letters F, P, and S so the first month G was 6 rather than F being 6. The next month they started where they left off: L=1, M=2, etc. My guess was that F stood for Fire, P for Police, and S for Safety or something and were part of some other code for them. I will leave it to you to figure out how I figured out the code (Hint: Listening in the first month, I first figured out the code letters for 9 and 1 after listening for several days and then the others similarly were determined.)

Glidehog

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys its been awhile. Can you help me with the special OHP designators. I know about the obvious ones based on Troop, Turnpike etc. I often hear some that I am not familiar with or don't remember. Here is my list so far. Thanks in advance.

Bravo ?

Headquarters?

Victor?

Sam= DOT inspection units

William = Lake Patrol

Training = Training Troopers

Radio Techs?
Bravo Units are Bomb squad

snerd

Listening.....
Well, I had just put a replacement antenna on my 436 today, and left it extended, 5 sections. Heard an OHP aircraft! Pilot talking about ‘passenger’ so and so, to have the lab ready, and that they‘d fuel the plane and park it. Pretty cool!

Freqed

I'm just a listener
Premium Subscriber
That makes sense, better than euro. It can be tough sometimes to make out what is said even with replay and headphones. OHP units in the field have just been saying the unit number vs. their designator and unit number lately.

KOK5CY

Maybe on the troop b side they have freqed . up here in the vinita area field units still use Lincoln and Xray with there unit # .

peterjmag

Bravo-Bomb Units
Sam-DOT Units
William-Lake Patrol
Training- Training Units
Bureau-OSBI Units

On the Troop B side I hear a few units ID as Headquarters, Sierra, and Victor. I think Victor units are radio techs? Any ideas? Thanks for the replies.

KOK5CY

Fyi there isn't a base head quarters for troop W which would be Barnsdall . it's been shut down for several years . even the old radio tower is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.