OHP Troop K 800 Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjmag

I heard some Troop K units talking on 800 direct this morning. I wonder how close they are to switching?

KK5FM

peterjmag said:
I heard some Troop K units talking on 800 direct this morning. I wonder how close they are to switching?

Were these "King" units or "Cimarron" units you heard on direct?

peterjmag

mfolta1 said:
they do that from time to time. theres no switch to direct coming. gonna stay as is.

Mark,
What I was trying to say is when is Troop K going to switch to the State 800 not 800 direct. Since they have 800 direct that is an indication that hey have an 800 radio in their unit. They may not for awhile but just curious.

peterjmag

KK5FM said:
Were these "King" units or "Cimarron" units you heard on direct?

They were King units talking about used cars and where they were going to go have lunch some where in Stillwater. Like I said, does not mean a switch will occur anytime soon just interesting to hear them on the 800 direct.

mfolta1

ah, thats cool. i know that when they are working a scene they switch their handhelds to "direct" so they can give numbers of skidmarks and other scene related stuff and not tie up the main channel. ive observed this in person before...

KK5FM

peterjmag said:
They were King units talking about used cars and where they were going to go have lunch some where in Stillwater. Like I said, does not mean a switch will occur anytime soon just interesting to hear them on the 800 direct.

This IS quite interesting, as it means DPS is finding funds to put 800 radios in Trooper cars that currently aren't "on" the DPS system, and Pawnee HQ (oops, sorry, -ahem- PERRY headquarters) is just an XTL-5000 with a power supply away from being able to dispatch on 800.... At least around Stillwater!

mfolta1

hey, its the state of oklahoma!, its amazing how they can come up with things"aka funds"!! but theres always homeland security money available too.

n5bew1

dward42586 said:
Excuse my ignorance, could someone educate me about monitoring the "direct" communications?

Thanks.
Direct is when radio users bypass the trunking system repeaters and transmit and receive
on the same single frequency "directly" from one radio to another. You would need to have a good outside antenna to hear them from very far away as they are pretty much localized communications.

mfolta1

yes, we had this discussion awhile back and i explained it as being like a cb radio, channel to channel, maybe a 1 or 2 mile range, maybe a couple more, anyway i remember getting ridiculed for saying "like a cb" so this time ill explain it like this, take a ham radio if you key up on 146.880 it transmits on 146.28, but if you turn off the offset you can talk on 28 and not key up the repeater. or you could just turn your dial to any frequency in the 2 meter band and tell your friend to go there too and talk direct. .... let the ridiculing begin,, oh yea, i just bought an ar-15 so go easy pokes.....lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.